Tug Teclutsa

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Mac Mackay

Re: Tug Teclutsa

Unread post by Mac Mackay »

Thanks very much.
Looks like it will be the Peninsula replacement in that case.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Lakehead Tug Boats Inc. is listed as a federal corporation with John Paul L'ecuyer as a director. It incorporated on March 21, 2016.

The Port of Thunder Bay website lists the president of Gravel & Lake Services Ltd. as Paul Lecuyer.

Last time I saw the tug on AIS, it was in the slip on McKellar Island where Gravel & Lake Services docks their tugs (next to the Incan Superior's loading apron).
Mac Mackay

The address given for Lakehead Tug Boats Inc, Slip 31, Carpenter Street, appears to be in the vicinity of the Thunberr Bay Yacht Club. Can ayone provide more detail?
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

I see the Teclutsa was registered under that name (official number 839964) on 3 June 2016 with Lakehead Tug Boats, Inc., Thunder Bay, as owner, apparently a new firm since the tug is its only listed fleet member.
William Lafferty

It appears Coos Bay Towboat has already replaced the Teclutsa with the former Seattle-based Kirby Offshore Marine Pacific tug Tiger, renamed Teclutsa on 26 April 2016. It was built in 1966 by Bollinger at Lockport, Louisiana, as Gulf Tiger, twin-screw, 2200-bhp.
William Lafferty

Is there a meaning to her name? My warped sense of humor wants to call her, "the klutza," even though she sailed past smoothly!
I think that is the name of the wife of the owner of Coos Bay Towboats, Teclutsa Yates, originally Teclutsa Sause of the big tug family (Sause Brothers) of the Northwest, as far as I can tell.
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

Is there a meaning to her name? My warped sense of humor wants to call her, "the klutza," even though she sailed past smoothly!
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

I checked AIS 20 minutes ago and she was just entering Thunder Bay, ON.

Unread post by Guest »

It would seem to me that if sold to new owners, her Coos Bay Towing stack markings would be removed upon being sold?
William Lafferty

Perhaps a Peninsula replacement in Thuinder Bay?
It's sure beginning to look that way! No word from Marcon yet. If the Teclutsa replaces the Peninsula, the military pedigree will still exist (RCN -> USN).
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

I see on AIS she is currently upbound Lake Superior at Whitefish Point.
JohnH

Unread post by JohnH »

This link has most of the data you are looking for;

http://intelligence.marinelink.com/vess ... tsa-311261

Also, the Teclutsa does not have an IMO number. A good site for checking IMO numbers is shipnumber.com

Its call sign is WDF3522, the MMSI number is 367440890
William Lafferty

Can someone please give me any and all information on this tug and I will list what it is I am looking for first. I am looking for the length, width and depth in both feet and in meters along with a year built and any IMO numbers. So far I have the tug's call sign and the MMSI number but, I don't see anything at least for far on their IMO number.
USNS Pawhuska YTB 822. Steel single screw tug launched 7 June 1973 as hull number 822 by Marinette Marine Corporation, Marinette, Wisconsin, for the United States Navy. 102.48 (31.24 m) x 29 (8.84) x 16.25 (4.95); 195 gt, 133 nt; single 10-cylinder Fairbanks, Morse (Colt Industries) 38D8-1/8 Diesel, 2000 bhp. Delivered 10 September 1973 at Bremerton, Washington. Stricken from the Navy List 28 October 2002. Sold by the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service 9 September 2005 to Coos Bay Towboat Company, Coos Bay, Oregon, and renamed Teclutsa.

The vessel is exempt from IMO regulations being under 300 gt, so has no IMO number. I'm anxiously awaiting word from Marcon as to who the new owner is.
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Denny- Hopefully some of this info helps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pawhuska_(YTB-822)
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Can someone please give me any and all information on this tug and I will list what it is I am looking for first. I am looking for the length, width and depth in both feet and in meters along with a year built and any IMO numbers. So far I have the tug's call sign and the MMSI number but, I don't see anything at least for far on their IMO number. Also, I see on the Mariatown Vessel Passage page that they were at Iroquois Lock at 2 A.M. or something like that on May 18. Does anyone know when they first got to Ike Lock as far as the date and time goes? I did not see them listed on the Seaway website and if someone has when they got to and even cleared the Ike Lock, I would greatly appreciate any information. Thanks in advance for any and all information that anyone has.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

If you can call a tug beautiful, she certainly is. Bookworm has a photo posted of her on the Regional Discussion page and Don Detloff has a couple photos posted in the Public Photo Gallery. Nice photos of the tug. Also went on the Marcon site and you wouldn't think she was a working tug by looking at her.
Mac Mackay

Bill
Perhaps a Peninsula replacement in Thuinder Bay?
William Lafferty

My contact at Marcon says the most interest is from a potential Canadian buyer, although a firm on the gulf had strong interest, too. He also says the boat is immaculate, and, to quote him, you "need to put on sunglasses before going into the engine room." The photos on the Marcon site bear this out. The broker handling the sale is away, but I hope to know the buyer soon.
Mac Mackay

Upbound in the Seaway tonight, but not showing on the Seaway map or Seaway vessel traffic.
It does show on AIS sites like Marine Traffic, but no destination is given.
The tug has accommodation below the waterline so could not be a candidate for Canadian registration unless it was to be used as a day boat.
Not to mention the current dollar exchange rate, single screw and reliable but inefficent engine.
Much more likely it is for a US owner.