1000 footers

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: 1000 footers

Unread post by Guest »

The James R. Barker's keel was laid October 14, 1974. AmShip was on strike from August 1 to November 20, 1975. So, that is three months of construction not being done. She entered service August 1, 1976. Roughly 19 months construction after deducting time lost due to the strike in 1975.

Unread post by Guest »

Much of that information is found in the write-ups in the fleet photo gallery. Keep in mind for some of the AmShip boats, they were built in two sections, at Toledo and Lorain. The section built in Toledo was towed to Lorain for completion.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Bob you are indeed correct as far as the 1,000 footers that were built in Lorain from 1976-1981. The Barker, Miner, American Spirit along with the Speer and Tregurtha were all built in Lorain during this period. The ones that were built in Sturgeon Bay during that same period 1976-1981 are the McCarthy, American Integrity, Edwin H. Gott, Indiana Harbor, Burns Harbor along with the American Century. Hopefully I did not miss any of them as far as the ones built in either Lorain or Sturgeon Bay. As for how long it takes from the time their keels were laid to sea trials, I don't know for sure and perhaps someone with more knowledge will have the answers for you. In the case of the Barker, I think her keel was laid in Lorain in 1975? Her aft cabins were transported by another ship at that time from Chicago to the Lorain yard for assembly. This was also done on the Mesabi Miner the following year as well I think?
bob

1000 footers

Unread post by bob »

when they started building 1000 footers in 1976 with the exception of the cort and pi that were mostly built off the great lakes in 1972. how long would it take to complete building a ship from the time they laid the keel to the time of sea trials? in 6 years they built 11 1000 footers in 2 shipyards. seems to me that most were built in sturgeon bay. tregurtha,mesabi miner,barker, American spirit and speer were built in lorain during this time correct. tia