M/V Fivelborg

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Old sailer

Re: M/V Fivelborg

Unread post by Old sailer »

That would be 1964 1965 the company was called Ocean Lines but was really CSL.

Unread post by Guest »

Old Sailor

What years are you referring to on the Stad. My great uncle was the skipper on it back in the late 40's, died on the bridge on Whitefish Bay
Old sailer

Unread post by Old sailer »

My father was captain on the old Stadacona man years ago and she was regestered in the Bahamas at the time. He had a master's home trade as well as what was called a B licence. The ship also had a entire canadian crew.The ship did not need a pilot on the lakes.

Unread post by Guest »

I'm thinking about this one, trying to recall the info from many moons ago. I could be wrong on this. In today's world it wouldn't surprise me that pilots are required everywhere on the Great Lakes. However there used to be two Suncor tankers, the Suncor Chippewa and her sister the Nordic Sun that were flagged out of Liberia with Italian crews that did not require a lake pilot as the masters of those vessels had completed enough trips to qualify to run their ship in lake waters, but a canal pilot was still needed. I also seem to recall that the Knutsen ships had a few qualified masters as well. The Suncor tankers started running the lakes in 81-82? Knutsen's big brutes in the mid eighties as well. I'm really testing my brain right now(not google)but Knutsen had a few ships registered here in Canada, maybe still do. I am going out on a stretch here, but was it possible that Knutsen had a Canadian captain with his inland water ticket?
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Mariner wrote:All foreign flagged ships must engage a licensed pilot when navigating in the Great Lakes.
Did they put on a Lakes pilot and take off a harbor pilot? Like I said, never saw a pilot exchange at the end of the Duluth piers before.
Mariner

Unread post by Mariner »

All foreign flagged ships must engage a licensed pilot when navigating in the Great Lakes.
garbear

M/V Fivelborg

Unread post by garbear »

I just watched on the Lake Superior Maritime Museum web cam the departure of the Fivelborg. The pilot boat was waiting for her at the end of the North pier as she departed. The pilot boat went along side and I assume picked up the pilot. Do officers on some salties have endorsements on their license where they can navigate the Lakes without pilots? This was the first time I've seen this maneuver done here in Duluth.