Day Peckinpaugh

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
CG Bob

Re: Day Peckinpaugh

Unread post by CG Bob »

The site of the former Matton Shipyard isn't open to the public. It is visible from the road or the river. The property is fenced off, and several buildings are still there. The shipyard is part of the Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor. http://www.eriecanalway.org/our-work/pr ... n-shipyard

The Canal Society of New York State might be interested in the plans - http://newyorkcanals.org/ .
haroldh

Unread post by haroldh »

i know it used to run cement from picton to rochester ny.also think it went down to rome ny with cement too..

Unread post by Guest »

She may be museum ship but still operates. She the last of her kind. Built for trading on the nys barge canals. A cool Little ship.

Unread post by Guest »

I remember the Day Peckinpaugh, used to see it in the Welland Canal. Maybe someone could answer this? What routes did she run? With such small capacity how was it profitable, or were they running OCS?
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

It was a cement boat it had no gear on deck.
Smith had his tunnel scrapers installed on two cement boats that had no "gear on deck," the Cementkarrier and Universal Atlas Cement No. 51. The Cementkarrier would receive a 90-foot boom when it was converted to also transport gypsum to the plant and return with powdered cement. The barge Universal Atlas Cement Co. No. 51 handled unloading solely through hoses using Fuller-Kinyon pumps, like the Cementkarrier. The tunnel scraper was used to bring the cement to a central hopper for unloading by vacuum hose and pumps, so scrapers as used on the Bayanna could have been adopted internally. The Bulkarier, running mate of the Cemenmtkarrier, also used tunnel scrapers to unload cement, but also to unload gypsum on a 90-foot boom above deck. The booms had nothing to do with the cement unloading.

Unread post by Guest »

It was a cement boat it had no gear on deck.
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

Do any of the drawings show its self-unloading system? Supposedly it had a tunnel-scraper outfit, but I haven't been able to verify that, and if it did, it almost had to come from one of Leathem Smith's tunnel-scraper installations. I've often wondered if it may have been taken from the Bayanna.

It may be premature to call it a museum at this point. The New York State Museum owns it, and received a $3.1 million "stimulus" grant in 2009 to turn it into such, but progress has been very slow, hampered by a disgruntled ex-employee's attempt to sink the vessel in 2010. Last I heard it had been moved to the old Matton shipyard, owned by the state, at Cohoes, New York. I'm not sure if the shipyard or Peckinpaugh are actually open for any type of visitation at this point.

Unread post by Guest »

She is a museum on the New York barge canal.
Cleveland Guest

Day Peckinpaugh

Unread post by Cleveland Guest »

Can anyone tell me if the Day Peckinpaugh is still in existence? I have some old drawings (blueprints)of the vessel that may be of use if the vessel is still a museum somewhere. I can't seem to find any sure location to send them to.