Ashtabula Harbor Question

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
pcolachap

Re: Ashtabula Harbor Question

Unread post by pcolachap »

I grew up in Ashtabula & lived there as an adult for 6 more years. As a kid I always enjoyed watching vessels go up to the shipyard for repairs. I want to say that during the WW II years, there were two Maritime boats built there, I think the Clarence B. Randall and the Frank Prunell. After the shipyard closed in 1961, it was used initially as a scrapping facility by Luria Brothers. This operation was moved north to what they called the "Five and a half" slip, across from where the carferry Ashtabula used to dock. Acme scrap for many years continued scrapping operations there. While in operation the yard's drydock was prone to flooding when ice jams on the river up the yard would form and then break, releasing a wall of water. In the end, besides the GLEW dissolution, it was too small and too far up a narrow river. Mike
CG Bob

Unread post by CG Bob »

Jack's Marina occupies the site. The concrete walls are still there, with piers attached to them.
http://marinas.com/view/marina/7536_Jac ... ted_States

https://mooragemarket.com/moorage/8883/jacks_marine

Guest in Toledo

Unread post by Guest in Toledo »

Here's a historic picture of the Ashtabula drydock from the BGSU website. Maybe somebody recognizes the property and can tell us how it is used and what it looks like now.
Attachments
000105.jpg
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

Interestingly, the last operating laker built in Ashtabula was the Algoma Transfer.

Ashtabula Harbor Question

Unread post by Guest »

Where there ever any shipyards or dry docks located in Ashtabula during the early 1900s?