Edgar B Speer problem?

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
garbear

Re: Edgar B Speer problem?

Unread post by garbear »

pcolachap wrote:Hello Charlie! Your post prompted me to get my dad's license out and take a look. Dad sailed with Reiss in the 30's and had an endorsement for First Class Pilot to North Tonawanda. He also had a First Class Pilot endorsement for Lake Ontario i.e. Cape Vincent.
His master's endorsement is "as far east as Anticosti Island".
My experience on a Seaway trips (1959 & 1979 as a guest) was a pilot was required from Cape Vincent to the lower St. Lawrence River, perhaps Escoumains?? The ships officers were on their own from there to Seven Islands.
Best regards, Mike
Hi Mike-I remember the two trips we made down the Seaway in 1971 and 1972 we had a pilot to Escoumains and it was the Captain and Mates that took the Clarke to Port Cartier. A harbor pilot came out on one of the tugs to take us to the ore dock and then out of the harbor, taken off by a tug, and then no pilot again until Escoumains.
pcolachap

Unread post by pcolachap »

Hello Charlie! Your post prompted me to get my dad's license out and take a look. Dad sailed with Reiss in the 30's and had an endorsement for First Class Pilot to North Tonawanda. He also had a First Class Pilot endorsement for Lake Ontario i.e. Cape Vincent.
His master's endorsement is "as far east as Anticosti Island".
My experience on a Seaway trips (1959 & 1979 as a guest) was a pilot was required from Cape Vincent to the lower St. Lawrence River, perhaps Escoumains?? The ships officers were on their own from there to Seven Islands.
Best regards, Mike
Charlie

Unread post by Charlie »

I can tell you that all the mates/captains only are good to Buffalo. you need a separate piece of paper to go down the Niagara Rive from Buffalo to Tonawanda, power plant, Erie Canal, Niagara Falls.

If you watched the tug barge running to NOCO in Tonawanda new your took on a local with the right paper and also had 2 tugs with them. If right [Brian W can give the dates] the tug left the barge and did some trips up and down [the practical test] know they have no tugs or local people.

some one got there ticket to run the river.

If you look at the chart the current is very strong, the river bed is all rock and the channel is cut in the rock. you go to much one way or the other you can open her up and sink before help gets there.

this time of year till may of the next if you fall in at the wrong spot you will get sucked under and freeze to death. your body will turn up in Youngstown NY in the USCG slip. [have have recovered many bodies there.

Also; Mates need the ticket engineers do not need anything.

charlie
Old Man

pilotage

Unread post by Old Man »

My dad was a licensed captain from the thirties to the sixties. His license indicated his authority on the Lakes and connecting rivers up the St. Lawrence to Anticosti Island. But I do recall that he had to have a pilot on the Black Rock Canal. Would he also have required a pilot in the earlier areas mentioned in previous posts? What authority would his license actually have given him on the St. Lawrence?

Unread post by Guest »

Greenshirt wrote:
mn brett wrote:So does the Engine also turn the same direction as the Prop?,or does the gear box change the direction ? Thank You!, mn brett
The gear box changes the direction of the opposite shaft
The reduction gear has no ability to "change direction" other than being a torque amplifying device.

On this vessel the port engine has a counterclockwise rotation with respect to the flywheel of the engine, while the starboard engine has an opposite clockwise rotation at the flywheel. The relative high speed revolutions per minute (about ~460 RPM's on the Speer at engine rated speed) are reduced to a lower, higher torque shaft output via the reduction gear at about 90 RPM's when at rated speed.

Camshaft timing and position are how opposing rotation are accomplished, the reduction gear simply takes the engine revolutions and amplifies the torque while reducing the speed to give you output shaft rotation.

So to answer your question after some long-windedness, yes the engine turns the same direction as the propeller, just at a higher speed.
Greenshirt

Unread post by Greenshirt »

mn brett wrote:So does the Engine also turn the same direction as the Prop?,or does the gear box change the direction ? Thank You!, mn brett
The gear box changes the direction of the opposite shaft
mn brett

Unread post by mn brett »

So does the Engine also turn the same direction as the Prop?,or does the gear box change the direction ? Thank You!, mn brett

Unread post by Guest »

Paul A wrote:I hope an Engineering person jumps in on me for my questionable memory. If I remember right, dual props turn tops toward each other so port prop kicks the aft end of boat by rotation to starboard. So, the port main being down makes the boat kick away from the fuel dock. I saw only one wash on the web cams today.
She's got controllable pitch propellers but you are right in that the prop shafts turn into each other (looking ahead from the stern the port shaft turns clockwise and the stbd shaft CCW)

The port engine is down with minor repairs being made at the dock.
Paul A

Unread post by Paul A »

I hope an Engineering person jumps in on me for my questionable memory. If I remember right, dual props turn tops toward each other so port prop kicks the aft end of boat by rotation to starboard. So, the port main being down makes the boat kick away from the fuel dock. I saw only one wash on the web cams today.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:If they're using a tug at the stern, it usually means one of their engines is down.
Exactly. She came in with the port engine shut down. She'd only been running at 8-9 kts. .She's in for engine repairs.

Unread post by Guest »

If they're using a tug at the stern, it usually means one of their engines is down.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

JohnH wrote:I see the Edgar B Speer came into Duluth very slowly this morning, and with tug assistance tied up to the Port Terminal dock. Thruster problem?
I had posted basically the same thing. She's fueling at the Calumet fuel dock. The Helen H. was on her stern. If it was bow thruster issues she'd have been on her bow. I'm guessing with no stern thruster the tug is a thruster substitute.
JohnH

Edgar B Speer problem?

Unread post by JohnH »

I see the Edgar B Speer came into Duluth very slowly this morning, and with tug assistance tied up to the Port Terminal dock. Thruster problem?