tug-barge lights

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
tugboat

Re: tug-barge lights

Unread post by tugboat »

Yes those are running Lts, they probably forgot to switch over to anchor Lts, which would be all around white one or two, depending on length but not in a vertical line.
greenshirt

Re: tug-barge lights

Unread post by greenshirt »

Guest wrote:I can see a tug and barge at anchor near my home and the tug is showing two white lights in a vertical aspect along with its running lights. I was under the impression that those are the lights to display when under way and that red lights would be displayed when the vessel is at anchor. Am I wrong? Is there a reason those lights would be displayed when the barge is anchored?
the different colors, and their variation, reads as a night-time code. for instance, "red over red means the captains dead" as it was in the navy.

white over white would indicate, for a vessel > 50m at anchor

tug-barge lights

Unread post by Guest »

I can see a tug and barge at anchor near my home and the tug is showing two white lights in a vertical aspect along with its running lights. I was under the impression that those are the lights to display when under way and that red lights would be displayed when the vessel is at anchor. Am I wrong? Is there a reason those lights would be displayed when the barge is anchored?