CSL Welland lay-up information needed

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
csl guest

Re: CSL Welland lay-up information needed

Unread post by csl guest »

The Tadoussac conversion consisted of as mentioned widening the hull in the hold area by 3 ft.The hold itself went from a 3 belt system to a one belt system .the hold is somewhat in the shape of an inverted triangle,do not know how else to explain it.also note at the after end under the last cargo hatch instead of hold,machinery and belts are now located.This hatch is not used.It lost about 24 feet of cargo hold. This was OK in the clinker trade but not very profitable in other trades. CSL has looked at re starting this ship as mentioned,but what was not mentioned was when the cost of doing so was figured, it was too costly to reactivate last fall. Now for the future,do not know .The plan is to just leave the vessel in lay up at Thunder Bay,but as always the plan is subject to change,As for the rumor about parts being remove.The main engine is intact as well as all engine room systems.Do not know how the rumor started.Possible some small spare parts were removed but I cannot confirm this.Steering is also operatable

Unread post by Guest »

The same surgery I thought was performed on the Can Century then, she still carries grain amongst everything else.

Unread post by Guest »

Rob W wrote:She was rebuilt for the cement clinker and iron ore trade, both dense cargoes. Her "pregnant guppy" side tanks give her more buoyancy but her cargo holds are configured now much like the Ryersons in terms of cubic capacity, taking grain or coal cargoes out of her trade pattern. Same thing with the Tad as with the Ryerson, not enough cubic capacity for the less dense cargoes. That's the way they were rebuilt/built respectively.

This has been touched on before if I'm not mistaken as far as Tad rebuild.

RW
What internal changes were made to the Tadoussac's hold to make them smaller ? The hull extensions increase her volume externally and therefore her buoyancy. This would allow the holds to be more full of a dense material like ore, without exceeding the allowable draft. What was done on the inside ? TIA

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Well I guess you can say they made a mistake, I'll never understand building or rebuilding a ship for 1 maybe 2 cargoes, I can understand 1000 footers but not a 730.

It may make sense to a well diversified fleet providing the contract is sufficient to cover the cost of rebuilding and the more restricted nature of its future operation.

Unread post by Guest »

Well I guess you can say they made a mistake, I'll never understand building or rebuilding a ship for 1 maybe 2 cargoes, I can understand 1000 footers but not a 730.

Unread post by Guest »

Wayne wrote:Tadoussac can't haul grain after the widening. Interesting thing is something must have here AIS as at times she registers below the canal. Only issue is she hasn't been running for 2 years now. Part taken for Frontenac can be replaced. It's the limit in cargo snd the slow ore trade that kept her at dock.
Guessing it was engine parts, since both of them have the same model of Sulzer diesel.
Rob W

Unread post by Rob W »

She was rebuilt for the cement clinker and iron ore trade, both dense cargoes. Her "pregnant guppy" side tanks give her more buoyancy but her cargo holds are configured now much like the Ryersons in terms of cubic capacity, taking grain or coal cargoes out of her trade pattern. Same thing with the Tad as with the Ryerson, not enough cubic capacity for the less dense cargoes. That's the way they were rebuilt/built respectively.

This has been touched on before if I'm not mistaken as far as Tad rebuild.

RW

Unread post by Guest »

Before the rebuild she would haul grain quite often I think theres a photo of her loading grain in T bay just before her conversion in the galleries. So what did they change that she can't haul grains all the other forebody conversions have done grains.
Wayne

Unread post by Wayne »

Tadoussac can't haul grain after the widening. Interesting thing is something must have here AIS as at times she registers below the canal. Only issue is she hasn't been running for 2 years now. Part taken for Frontenac can be replaced. It's the limit in cargo snd the slow ore trade that kept her at dock.

Unread post by Guest »

CSL Welland went directly to Morterm.

Unread post by Guest »

They salvaged parts from Tad for the Frontenac when lower lakes leased her I assume that's what they are talking about
wlbblw

Unread post by wlbblw »

Calloway's orders to lay up in Erie are changed to a different destination somewhere else on the upper lakes.

Presque Isle should arrive there later this week.

Unread post by Guest »

Interesting about Taddoussac what is exactly her issues it can't be hull as she had that redone early in the new century, and hasn't traded much in the gulf if at all. So if its engines whats the problem I thought those big slow speeds ran forever like steam, look at the Ceaderglen.
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

The Callaway wasn't at Zug long enough to load, I believe she just stopped there for weather concerns.

The cargo is very likely pellet filings from Conneaut. Two winters ago when the Anderson was out until March, she did several of these Conneaut to Gary runs as did the Callaway.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:
Pazzo wrote:After the Callaway unloaded in Conneaut, every indication pointed to her steaming east to Erie. However, she was dispatched to Gary. I haven't seen or heard anything regarding the destination or timing of Presque Isle, but I'm posting this at eight minutes after midnight on the 15th.
Erie might not host either of these GLF vessels and have a spare mooring to offer. Thunder Bay laid up in Erie two years ago, so its not completely out of the realm of possibility.. Especially with her current destination of Nanticoke. Or she may be bound for Colbourne afterward.
From vessels passages:

CASON J. CALLAWAY - 14/1010 outbound Conneaut, Ohio Breakwall destination Gary, Indiana ETA 17/0500 to unload. 14/2330 arrive Zug
Island dock in Detroit, Michigan. 15/0139 depart Zug Island dock.

Did she load in Conneaut ? Maybe coal for Gary ?
If she's stopping at Zug Island she probably didn't load coal in Conneaut. Probably loading at Zug. Slag?

Unread post by Guest »

Pazzo wrote:After the Callaway unloaded in Conneaut, every indication pointed to her steaming east to Erie. However, she was dispatched to Gary. I haven't seen or heard anything regarding the destination or timing of Presque Isle, but I'm posting this at eight minutes after midnight on the 15th.
Erie might not host either of these GLF vessels and have a spare mooring to offer. Thunder Bay laid up in Erie two years ago, so its not completely out of the realm of possibility.. Especially with her current destination of Nanticoke. Or she may be bound for Colbourne afterward.
From vessels passages:

CASON J. CALLAWAY - 14/1010 outbound Conneaut, Ohio Breakwall destination Gary, Indiana ETA 17/0500 to unload. 14/2330 arrive Zug
Island dock in Detroit, Michigan. 15/0139 depart Zug Island dock.

Did she load in Conneaut ? Maybe coal for Gary ?
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Presque Isle is down bound on Lake Superior showing a Conneaut destination on AIS. She's approx. 40 miles SE of the Keweenaw doing 13 knots.
Pazzo

Unread post by Pazzo »

After the Callaway unloaded in Conneaut, every indication pointed to her steaming east to Erie. However, she was dispatched to Gary. I haven't seen or heard anything regarding the destination or timing of Presque Isle, but I'm posting this at eight minutes after midnight on the 15th.
Erie might not host either of these GLF vessels and have a spare mooring to offer. Thunder Bay laid up in Erie two years ago, so its not completely out of the realm of possibility... Especially with her current destination of Nanticoke. Or she may be bound for Colbourne afterward.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

That's a surprise as I didn't think any CSL ships would end up down in Erie for lay-up this winter? I thought that I had read and heard from sources there that they were to have "four vessels in lay-up for the winter there." The tug/barge combo Dorothy Ann and the Pathfinder along with the Ken Boothe Sr. and Lakes Contender and the Presque Isle. Also heard the Callaway at some point was also supposed to lay-up in Erie unless that was changed? So with that I count four vessels in for lay-up at Erie this winter unless I might have missed something and Yes, I've also checked out Facebook pages from Erie and that's what I saw listed so far at least there.

Unread post by Guest »

Hearing Erie, Pennsylvania for one CSL boat.