Presque Isle

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
bigboat

Re: Presque Isle

Unread post by bigboat »

If you look at the pics it appears there is a rubber gasket or seal that would provide the water tight connection.

Unread post by Guest »

New Guy Rick wrote:Thanks for the pictures.
They would have to seal between the ship and coffer dam. I have a hard time picturing how they would do that.
I have seen coffer dams used when digging on the bottom of a body of water, but working on the stern of a ship???
The cofferdam fits snugly into place and is pumped out, and stays watertight.
New Guy Rick

Unread post by New Guy Rick »

Thanks for the pictures.
They would have to seal between the ship and coffer dam. I have a hard time picturing how they would do that.
I have seen coffer dams used when digging on the bottom of a body of water, but working on the stern of a ship?????
New Guy Rick

Unread post by New Guy Rick »

Guest wrote:It's starboard propeller they're going to be working on using the cofferdam.
I would love to see a picture of how that works.
Anyone have one they could post?

Unread post by Guest »

It's starboard propeller they're going to be working on using the cofferdam.
wlbblw

Unread post by wlbblw »

The tug is getting some rudder work & will have the portable dry dock shelter installed. If everything goes ok, I'd guess on Wednesday-Thursday arrival this week.

The only boats there now are Dorthy Ann - Pathfinder in the West Slip, & the Booth - Contender on the dry dock.

Unread post by Guest »

PI has been separated the past two years to do ballast tank work on the barge. They don't store ore in her when they lay up in Erie.
Pazzo

Unread post by Pazzo »

Well, I'm not too sure what, if anything, Presque Isle needs done this Winter, but I can tell you that she is slated (currently) to lay up in Erie. Currently, in Erie, Don Jon's drydock is filled with Atlantic Enterprise, an east coast tug and Ken Boothe Sr./Lakes Contender. From what I've heard from a couple welders and laborers at Don Jon, it sounds like the former ASC tug/barge combo will likely be in there for a while.
When Presque Isle laid up in Erie the last two years, she separated from the barge portion, both years and I don't believe it was due to any necessary inspections or work that needed done.
mn brett

Presque Isle

Unread post by mn brett »

I see the Presque Isle is Heading to Conneaut to unload Her cargo,She normally loads a half load of pellets and than lays up to take pressure off the Tug for winter lay up!,Is the Tug being separated this year from the Barge,maybe for Dry docking? thank you mn brett