Coasting License

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
cpfan

Re: Coasting License

Unread post by cpfan »

Thanks Mac. That means that I was probably looking in the correct place.

Steve
Mac Mackay

Unread post by Mac Mackay »

Applications number 17-00690 and 17-00691, one for the tug and one for the barge, were made to the CTA last week. I filed the news item, after reading the applicaitons on the CTA website.
The applications no longer appear on the CTA web site under active applicaitons, and do not show as closed applications (where the date for filing objections has passed).
No decision by the Minister has been published.
This can only mean that Algoma withdrew the application.
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

From Marine Traffic, it looks like Michigan/Great Lakes went to Cheboygan today. If this was a cargo from Nanticoke, there would have been no need for a coasting license. Of course the license could have been denied and the duo returned to (what I believe is) their home base.

I found a site regarding the issuance of coasting licenses but I found no mention of Algoma or Great Lakes/Michigan in the last 4 months. How do we know that they applied for one?

Thanks, Steve
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

Howie Wilcox wrote:There is no mention of the Algonova. Is she not available at this time. I'very seen her many times docked at the Purvis facility in the Sault.
Algonova seems to be working the Nanticoke-Sarnia run. Marine Traffic shows her having left Nanticoke yesterday and in the Sarnia anchorage today.

Algoma Hansa left Nanticoke on the 14th arriving Sarnia on the 16th (again as per MT).
Howie Wilcox

Unread post by Howie Wilcox »

There is no mention of the Algonova. Is she not available at this time. I'very seen her many times docked at the Purvis facility in the Sault.
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

Thanks guest. Wouldn't have known the difference otherwise.

Unread post by Guest »

The Algosea is NOT laid up. She is broke down, wont be repaired for about three more months.

Unread post by Guest »

tugboathunter wrote:What's up with Algoma applying for a coasting license to use the Michigan/Great Lakes? The Algosea is laid up at the Sidney Smith dock in Sarnia, so I don't understand why they can't use that vessel.

Unless they believe they need to move more product than their own four vessels can handle (since the Algoscotia is wintering off-lakes), I don't see how this license can be approved.
Shallower draft vessel can only enter the port(s)? Algosea is under repair during lay up? It's only a few trips. More than likely it is just a case of convenience and availability of a ready to go vessel. Time period is February and March...sort of an oddity. Approval won't be an issue..and well...not like they had a choice, but it is nice to see that they will be using an American vessel and crew. Keeping our Great Lakes sailors working..no matter which side of the border you are on..
Mac Mackay

Unread post by Mac Mackay »

It's never done deal until they have the Minister's signature. Unless a Canadian tanker or clean product tug/barge is available however, there shouldn't be any problem.
I image the SIU would object, but that is not normally grounds for refusing a license.
Dave O

Unread post by Dave O »

Must be a done deal as the Great Lakes/Michigan is already anchored in Long Point Bay off Port Dover since late Monday night.
tugboathunter

Coasting License

Unread post by tugboathunter »

What's up with Algoma applying for a coasting license to use the Michigan/Great Lakes? The Algosea is laid up at the Sidney Smith dock in Sarnia, so I don't understand why they can't use that vessel.

Unless they believe they need to move more product than their own four vessels can handle (since the Algoscotia is wintering off-lakes), I don't see how this license can be approved.