Irvin L. Clymer Cleveland accident 1981

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Irvin L. Clymer Cleveland accident 1981

Unread post by Guest »

I have a question about rudder damage. When a rudder strikes an object is there any action in the wheel in the pilothouse such as a jerk into a particular direction?

Unread post by Guest »

The Clymer was backing up the old river bed, with tug assistance, to the International Salt Dock. Before swinging into the loading slip, the stern reached back further than usual. Later that evening, during the loading operations, the watchman (Me), went back to the stern to check the aft draft and noticed that the tiller was angled about 20 degrees to the right, while the rudder was still midship. It was determined that there was a twist in the rudder post, and we were towed over to Toledo by the Vorhees to be put into the dry dock for repairs. The deck crew was sent home on the 5th of September and we returned on the 14th. The river past the salt dock was dredged to see what the stern may have hit, and among other items, an old car was found! We had a lot of fun with that one for awhile...."Clymer hits car"!

Unread post by Guest »

Thanks for the replies!
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

It was 2 September 1981. The vessel had been pulled from longtime layup at Calcite for the salt trade. Previous to re-entering service, it received the bow thruster of the Frontenac.

Unread post by Guest »

Information from the Historical Collections at BGSU says that the accident happened on September 2, 1981.

http://greatlakes.bgsu.edu/vessel/view/000789

Irvin L. Clymer Cleveland accident 1981

Unread post by Guest »

Does anyone know the specific date that the Irvin L. Clymer suffered rudder damage at Cleveland in September of 1981? The only reference I have seen of it is in old Telescope. I do remember hearing about it at the time and its subsequent tow by the Enders M. Voorhees to the shipyard for repairs and was just wondering about the date as the report in the Telescope does provide this information. Thanks for any response.