scrapped ships

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: scrapped ships

Unread post by Guest »

Surprised to here about the Aird, but I guess if they can get rid of the fairly recently converted Algowest I guess anything can go
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

The English River replacement rumors seem to stem from the fact that Nova Marine Carriers of Switzerland is now operating a ship called the NACC Toronto. Formerly the Arklow Wave. The NACC prefex implies that it will be converted into a self unloading cement carrier and reassigned to NovaAlgoma Cement Carriers. This is the year old cement carrying joint venture between Nova Marine Carriers and Algoma Central Marine (and not their recently announced proposed bulk carrier joint venture).

Only one other NACC ship has been named after a geographic area, the NACC Quebec. It is currently being converted in a Chinese shipyard into a self unloading cement carrier, and it has been reported that it will be on long term charter to the new McInniss Cement plant under construction on the Gaspe Peninsula.

So if their ship naming convention means anything, the NACC Toronto name implies that NovaAlgoma Cement Carriers wants into the Toronto cement market. McKeil now has the Essroc contract. That leaves the Holcim-Lafarge contract, or the possibility that McInniss wants to serve that market from the Gaspe Peninsula plant. Of course the name could have no real meaning at all. After all the ship hasn't even been converted yet, and is currently upbound in the Weser River for Bremen.

http://www.novamarinecarriers.com/wp-co ... oronto.pdf

http://www.philippe-ships.com/cargos/arklow_wave.html
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

Word I've been hearing since January is the Aird will indeed fit out, and take one load of salt from Goderich down the Seaway, then long-term lay-up in Montreal (and probably a scrap tow).

The Roman will be replaced in 2018 by McKeil's Ardita. The English River will very likely be replaced in 2018 by the NACC Toronto, sister to the Florence Spirit, which is jointly owned by Algoma as part of their new cement venture.
harold1956

Unread post by harold1956 »

why would you think the aird is going to be scrapped ???they are getting it ready in godrich since it layed up ..they have been doing alot of work on it.and why the english river ??? the roman maybe ...
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

Keep an eye on Algoma all year long. By Spring of 2018, I believe the Algorail, Algosteel, Algoway, and John B. Aird will all be retired and eventually sold for scrap. This also could be the last year of operation for the English River and Stephen B. Roman. I also expect Manitoba to be sold for scrap this year or next.
jim berg

scrapped ships

Unread post by jim berg »

hi can anyone tell me if there are any ships going to be scrapped this year thank you