My starting to be a sailor

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Lakercapt

Re: My starting to be a sailor

Unread post by Lakercapt »

I think this was mentioned before but I thought the worst job on board was the trimmer. He was the guy who kept the firemen supplied with coal. It was not too bad when you had just replenished the bunkers as the coal would run down to the hatch and all that was required was to barrow it to each fireman at their boiler. When you think we burned approximately 40 tons of coal a day when steaming this was a lot of shoveling. The first job when going on watch was to dump the ashes. The previous watch would allow one fire in each boiler to burn down as this was the one which was sliced, raked and built up again. During this time the boiler pressure would drop and the engine instead of running at 60 RPM would slow right down Sometimes the engineers would blow the tubes on the boiler ( like sweeping the chimney!) They would call the wheelhouse prior to this so if the wind was blowing across the vessel they would alter course and the soot would not come down on deck. Before opening the furnace door you ensured the forced draft air was shut off. There was a lift arrangement on the starboard side which hoisted the ashes up a tube and tipped them down a chute which went overboard. When in port there was a baffle to direct the ashes on to the deck for dumping when we cleared port. Water had to be on all the time to flush them out. The hoist was worked from the vacuum of the main condenser. (The piston for this hoist which was made of rubber was adapted by the engineers to make a washing contraption to launder the coveralls etc. This was bolted on to a metal rod and a line was attached to the eccentric arm on the main engine. A milk churn was filled with water from the hot well and the clothes were put in with detergent or a cut up cake of Sunlight soap. When the main engine was running at the usual 60 RPM it would plunge up and down and completed the laundry in about an hour). Before shoveling them into the chute they had to be cooled down by spraying them with water. Doing this caused a massive dust cloud. After a few days the trimmer had to enter the bunker and trim the coal to this hatch hence the name of the “black gang”. They were all Arabs from South Shields, who kept to themselves and in the two years I was with them they never caused any trouble. Prayer time five times a day and they kept their part of the after accommodation spick and span. I knew their names after a while and would greet them with the saying “as Salaam alakum” which they would acknowledge.
Another job I didn’t know anything about till after joining was the “Peggy”. (I think this derived from the old sailing ship days when a disabled sailor would be called this). It was the usually the junior most deck rating that did this. The job was to look after the crew mess room, collect the weekly stores from the second steward and collect the food from the galley. This was done in a nest of metal containers called kits which all interlocking and could be carried from the galley in a purpose made carrier. These kits fitted into a bain marie to keep the food warm so the deck crew could help themselves. He had to clean up afterwards. All the deck crew had their own mugs and were very protective of these as if broken the steward was reluctant to supply a new one. Stores too were a major concern as they were rationed and if the tea was used up before the next allocation - too bad. It was OK when we were on the coast as replenishment was easy. Fresh milk too was more or less unlimited thanks to the agreement but the cans of condensed milk were a person’s own responsibility and kept in their personal lockers. It was very important that the Peggy ensured the cistern which heated the water was full and boiling for the “Smoko” tea to be made in a very large pot. Coffee was not a beverage of choice!!
Lakercapt

I forgot to mention that when you went on the wheel to do your trick at steering you left your knife and spike outside as it could affect the compass
Lakercapt

Now that I had this unexpected wealth I had been told by the bosun to get a proper knife and a small marlin spike as all the deck crew were carrying these items while on deck. One of the AB’s sewed a sheath for me out of duck canvas (a short aside to this. Many years later on the “lakes” the SIU ran a pre sea training school in Morrisburg, Ontario for new members of the deck catering and engine room ratings. I was on deck with one of these new recruits who came on board with all the gear, battle dress etc. I said to this OS cut that line with your knife and he looked at me strangely as he had no knife. OK, I said give me a look at your contract and he pulled that out of his back pocket. Cut that line with your contract. Can’t do that he said. Right I said next time you come on deck make sure you have a proper knife and leave the contract in the cabin) The down side of having this extra cash was the deck crew were intent on spending it in the local bar. This alas was to be a regular occurrence as the local tavern was just across the railroad tracks, too convenient by far. It was to be a place I got to know well, not for a drink but to try and get the crew to come back to the ship so we could sail. “Sally’s was the name of the place and a real dive with sawdust on the floor. In those days the closing time was 6 P.M. and when the deck crew knocked off at five it was a rush to get there for what was referred to as the five o’clock swill. Instead of walking along to the end of the wharf and crossing the tracks by the pedestrian bridge they would dodge the coal cars being shunted on multiple tacks. A very dangerous and stupid thing to do. (A few found this out the hard way one being killed and several losing limbs fortunately none of our crew) This was to be the down fall of several deck hands as they would buy beer etc to come back on board and as a result they could not turn to the next day and were logged for this misdemeanour.
As I was not so gormless now I was made night watchman when in port. I worked from seven P.M. till seven A.M. and my duties were to tend to the moorings and gangway and keep an eye on things in general. I did not mind this and later on as I will tell of this. One thing that was important was to keep the galley fires going. The galley stove was a coal fired one with two fires. There was a bunker on the starboard side for the coal and if it was getting low I would see the engineroom donkey man and he would get one of the trimmers to fill it up. I took pleasure in having these fires going well and the cooks appreciated my efforts by leaving out extra for my meal during the night. If there was cargo working a mate would also be on deck so I would cook the middle of the night meal for both of us.
Now that I could steer I was put on watch with two other sailors. The three watch system was 12 till 4 then 4 till 8 the last being 8 till 12. Each watch you would do two hours steering one hour stand by and one hour lookout. The person who did not steer that watch was called the farmer. When you were steering one thing you had to do as well as keep a good course was make the bells. (You do not ring a bell on a ship) This was so people knew the time. The engineroom would also make bells especially seven bells when the watches would be about to change. During the day time an additional bell would be made at quarter to the end of the watch when it was rung once. All old fashioned I know but it was a routine you had to follow! It took me a little time to understand to significance of these bells and I will try to explain this later. To ensure the engineroom clocks were in sync with the ships time the engineroom telegraph was rung at noon each day and they would acknowledge by doing the same.
Lakercapt

Being the Chippy’s (the ships carpenter)” gofor” I followed him around and got to know the jobs he was responsible for and they were many. Each morning we went round and did the soundings. This was taking soundings of bilges and ballast tanks when empty. He had a special tool to remove the sounding pipe caps and lowered a graduated metal rod attached to a small diameter line done to the bottom. The rod was covered in with a chalk mark and you could feel it when it hit the bottom. A couple of jerks to make sure it had reached the bottom and pull it up to see if the chalk line had changed colour which showed if water was present. This he noted and we would do the rest of the ship. Up to the wheelhouse and write on a chalkboard so the mates could see it,(this was one of the times I was in the wheelhouse, the other times were to do my stint at the wheel and to clean and polish the brass( so much for learning to be a navigating officer!) We would also write the soundings on a board at the top of the engine room just beside the stairway going down. Next job was to pump up the daily fresh water for the crew use. On top of the wheelhouse, the engine casing house and the poop deck were small tanks for this area. A small horizontal piston pump driven by steam was at the top of the engine room. He would open the valve for the suction and the tank to be filled and start this little pump. He then went out to see it overflow and changed to the next tank. All the ships potable water was stored in two tanks located in the tweendeck at the forward part of number four hold. Each day these tasks were the first on his work list and I was to learn them so I could be the backup or replacement should he not be able or at another more important task. The chippy was in charge of seeing the ships fresh water tanks were filled when in port and he and I would pull hoses from the shore hydrant and fill them. There were three tanks, one in the engineroom double bottom for the boiler feed and the two for domestic use. During my time on board we would open up these tanks to be cleaned and the miserable job of cement washing them. We opened up the manhole access and scrubbed the inside of the tank with stiff bristle brushes. The dirty water was bailed out and then we mixed up cement in a barrel to a smooth paste like consistency and with a bucket of this brushed it on to the sides, top and bottom of the tank. Some chippies like to add a small amount of washing soda as they thought it make a glossy sheen on the wash. We would then allow it to dry and close up the manhole. Doing this we would be dressed up in burlap clothing which was dumped afterwards. Before this newly cleaned tank was put into use it was filled up, allowed to sit for a day then emptied.
The first round trip of the many we went to Port Adelaide with coal for the power station and as it took about two days to discharge I had time to visit the town. All very much a new experience as streets were wide with trees planted down the centre. The stores were stocked with goods had never seen and I was fascinated by one store in particular. The shop selling candy. I was able to buy candies and chocolate I had not seen before or had been strictly rationed. Thought I had died and gone to heaven. Needless to say I enjoyed that, but next day one of the old hands (second tripper deck boy) took me to a milk bar and I was introduced to a malted milk shake. Ambrosia it was and I was addicted from then on. Next I was served a banana split sundae and never having seen one of these delicious offerings was in awe of it. This going to sea certainly had its redeeming features!! From there it was round to Whyalla to load iron ore. It did not take long to do this and involved he crew shifting the ship for each hatch. To help in the shift the forward and after back springs were run off the drum and coiled onto the cargo winch and lead through a snatch block and lead on to the wharf. The mate would then signal us the either heave or slacked for’d mooring lines and slacken the spring wire. This done we would batten done that hatch and if at night lie down for a short nap until the next hold was ready. We would be too dirty to go in our bunks so would lie on the deck in our cabin or on deck in warmer weather. Round to Port Kembla to discharge or as I mentioned before Newcastle. The discharge was quick and it was only a short steam up to Newcastle to start the cycle all over again. When we got to Newcastle the deck crew were called to the mates cabin and my name was called and I was told “sign there” and handed a pile of Australian banks notes” I did not query what it was for but Donald Campbell the bosun informed me it was my dirty money and overtime. Each day we were paid one pound Australian by the charterers as a bonus for the dirty cargos we carried. This was awarded to all the crew courtesy the Australian Dockers who had gone on strike to get this payment. Any work involving cargo was paid at an overtime rate again courtesy Aussie Dockers. I although an apprentice was paid the same rate as an AB and I never questioned why but gladly accepted this windfall. I had never had so much money in my life and was now really pleased with my lot at sea!
Jerry at Duluth

Unread post by Jerry at Duluth »

Captain, I cant tell you how happy I am that you have came back with more. The story wont be complete until you carry it through to your retirement. I have read a lot of books about sailing and helped Dudley Paquette with his book, THE NIGHT THE FITZ WENT DOWN, but this work of yours is the most enjoyable read that I have ever experienced. Again, many thanks.
Jerry
Lakercapt

When I joined this ship “s.s. Firby” I was a young lad weighing about 120 pounds and soon was gaining upper body strength with all the physical work I was required to do. Shovelling the coal ash overboard when we clear each port was a never ending task and shovelling and swinging at the same time soon made me an expert at landing the load exactly where I wanted. (I still to this day can manage that). Heaving heavy hatch boards, starting with the smaller ones and eventually on to the heavy long ones. It required cooperation with your partner at the other end and you would get into the rhythm, lift, swing back and then forward and upwards to clear the coaming and onto the beam. This chore was done at frequent intervals as we were only on short runs. Newcastle to Melbourne would only take about three days and Newcastle to Adelaide would be five days. It was only a short hop round to Whyalla to load iron ore for Port Kembla or up the river to Newcastle steel works. Opening up and battening down was an endless task as was the heaving of hatch boards. As I had mentioned previously the ship had been out in Australia for a while so all the beams from the tween deck had been landed ashore as it was not deemed necessary to use them for these cargos. It would have involved extra work and storing them on board was not an option. Another item stored ashore as an encumbrance was the ventilator cowls for the holds that were located on top of the fore and main mast houses. These four monsters were shipped along with the tween deck beams to an outdoor storage.
As a first tripper I was on day work at first as I could not steer. I was ordered to get my steering certificate as soon as possible. I stood beside the helmsman and watched what he was doing and then emulated his actions. He would then stand beside me to see if I was doing it correctly. It looked so easy to see the skilled helmsman and to look astern and see the wake in a straight line. My fist few attempts and I had thought I had done well till I was told to look aft. The wake was like a dog’s hind leg. As well as steering a straight course you had to be able to alter course to new heading without going all over the place. It was also necessary to be able to steer the vessel into and out of port with the pilot giving courses and headings etc. I was terrified the first few times I did this but eventually enjoyed doing it as then I would not have to be on the end of a massive manila mooring line or wire.
There were three other first trippers on board, the cabin boy, the galley boy and the deck boy. We all got the menial tasks and when I mentioned the “black gang” had the worst job on board I should also say I thought the galley boy’s job was worse. Every day he had to peel a mountain of potato’s and clean pots and pans. He did this day in and day out. If we were in port and as youngsters we would go ashore together and I would help him peeling potatoes so he could finish early. There were a couple of other young lads who although not much older, had been sailing before this ship. They would regale us with tales and stories of their adventures and to be honest I thought they were more products of their imagination than real happenings!! One of these OS’s was the lad that lived not far from me in Royston. He was one of the biggest BS artists.
With all the shovelling going down the stokehold to fire the Scotch boilers was easier as I could put the shovel full exactly where I wished. This was important as you could not just throw the coal in the furnace. It had to be put in on an even layer to burn correctly. A big pine would not burn correctly and leave you with a big clinker to break up and clean out. That was a miserable job as the slice was a long steel poker and tough to wield. Then it was raking the broken clinker out. Being “chippies’ gofor” when battening down I got used to swinging the big maul to drive home the wedges and as with many jobs there was a way to do it efficiently requiring the least amount of effort. Like in the movies when you saw the gangs laying railroad track the crew hammering home the spikes would seem to do it with ease. I managed to do this with skill I did not possess previously. A few years ago in the summer I was out with my wife and son and his girl friend. We were beside this mini fair where they had set up the usual fairground rides and stalls. One was a hammer swinging stall. You had to hit a button and a shuttle would rise up a tall graduated board and ring a bell if it reached the top. I watched my son who is six feet and 230lbs of muscle gained at a gym and a black belt in Karate swing the hammer several times and not ring the bell. The fellow asked if I would like to try, seeing and old man not tall in stature or big in build. I reluctantly said OK and took the hammer stood back and swung it at the button. I was amazed, as were all looking on, when the bell was rung.” Fluke” was the comment uttered but I stood back and did it every time I swung the hammer, much to everyone’s amazement – including my own! Just like riding a bike, I guess, you never forget!
Lakercapt

It has been said many times that a person always remembers the first time and this is certainly true about my first time on a ship. Although I had been to a pre-sea training course on board this vessel it was all new to me. I did not have any idea how to rig a union purchase or top or lower a derrick. The running gear was a mystery which required knowledge I had to acquire. That and the many thousands of shipboard tasks needed to maintain and run the vessel. It was a learning curve and when I heard the phrase “jack of all trades and master of none’’ when referring to sailors I fully understood it. Each day another facet of shipboard routine was discovered. I know this was part of my training but I was amazed at the tasks we were required to do.
Maintenance was not as big an issue as keeping what we had in service. The ship had been out in the Australian coast for several years and many of the wires etc were not used for cargo working and as a result these were not renewed regularly. It got so bad these wires had broken strands and were barbed. If you did not wear leather work gloves your hands were cut badly. On more than one occasion the A.B.s refused to work with them any longer and the mate would reluctantly order new wires. His idea was he was keeping costs down. Today with the Health and Safety standards it would not have been tolerated. As an apprentice it was the norm that we would be given the most miserable of jobs. One of these was “riding” the shrouds. It entailed coating the shrouds with a mixture of white lead and tallow to preserve them. A person would be pulled up to the top in a bosun’s chair and had a bucket with the mixture tied to the side. You would have yourself covered with an old sack with holes in it to stop you getting too much on you. Any old covering over your head was all the protective gear we had. Hands in the bucket and with the cloth cover the shrouds. Course here was always some of his mixture dropping on you as your hands were above your head. At the bottom you would be unshackled and on to the next one. There were usually four each side of the mast then across the deck to do the other side. Can you imagine today dipping your unprotected hand into any mixture that contained white lead ?? Another miserable job which we did- I shudder when I think of it now - and marvel at how lucky I am to have avoided what might have happened. The winches and windlass and mooring winch on the stern were steam powered and the steam lines running along the main deck were lagged to preserve the heat and steam. This lagging was asbestos tape wound round the pipes covered with asbestos cement and then covered with canvas. In bad weather it was occasionally washed off. With the engineer we would wrap new tape from a large roll round the pipes. In a large 44 gallon drum we would dump the asbestos cement and add water and mix it up. The easiest way to apply it was to slap it on with your bare hands and shape it round the pipe. UGH!!
Jerry at Duluth

Unread post by Jerry at Duluth »

Captain Ross, the way that you tell the story makes the reader almost feel like he is actually going through the experience of becoming a sailor. I sincerely hope that you will continue with this fascinating story that has held so many of us spell bound. The rest of the story should be told. Three long two short.
Jerry
RCRVRP

Unread post by RCRVRP »

Lakercapt wrote:Three young white males were soon the attraction of many people and I was overwhelmed by the sight of so many very young tanned attractive young ladies.

........ This green hulled apparition with rust and covered in coal and iron ore dust was not what I had envisioned.

Hehehehehehe......

Good writing, tell us more.
hayhugh3

Unread post by hayhugh3 »

Thank you very much for your stories Captain. I too started out on boats with wedges and on the Great Lakes. A boat with 35 hatches could take some time putting on all the jewelry, wedges. strong backs "J" hooks, etc and such.
Paul A

Unread post by Paul A »

Capt. Ross, I'm glad you enjoyed relaying your stories and you only need to stop if you want to. I'm sure I speak for many that your stories have been a real joy to read. They not only describe the sailors job but also of a different point in time and culture that most of us hadn't seen.
Thank you and please continue.
Paul Anderson

Unread post by Guest »

Thank you so much for sharing this amazing story with us Captain ! It's been truly a treat to say the least. If you ever wish to add to the story you can rest assured there will be many eager readers. All the best to you, sir.
Lakercapt

Three young white males were soon the attraction of many people and I was overwhelmed by the sight of so many very young tanned attractive young ladies. They were interested in where we came from and when we had arrived in Australia. The advice from them was cover up as the sun is very strong and we will get burnt. I should say I did not listen and the resulting sun burn I got was a lesson I still remember. The ferry back to Circular Quay and to the hotel was all an experience as the famous Sydney Harbour Bridge was a sight to see. In the hotel we were allowed to eat whatever we wished and for someone who had grown up in the austere environment of the UK it was wonderful. I had never had a steak and the first time I could hardly believe the size of the portion. When I had left meat was the last item of rationing still in operation so it was all eye opening.
The life of luxury was soon to end and the days of fancy living in hotels and being served were soon to be a distant memory. We were told the ship was to arrive at Newcastle and we were to board a bus to take us there. This trip I do not recall much about but it was early evening were we were deposited on the dock n front of what was to be my home for over the next two years. Not to belabour a point I was not impressed. This green hulled apparition with rust and covered in coal and iron ore dust was not what I had envisioned. We climbed the gangway and were directed to our cabins. The apprentices were in a cabin on the starboard side of the engine room casing and the two of us were berthed beside the third engineer, the second cook and the second steward and to catering boys. I was not given the choice as the senior apprentice opted for the lower bunk. Bill Downs and I were never to be good friends but managed to tolerate each other. His father was a captain in the company and he considered himself superior.
The next few days we were loading coal and as I mentioned everything was dirty. To go for our meals we had to go to the midship house and off the main dining saloon for the officers was a place where we were given our meals. To get there we had to climb over a large mound of coal ash. This was from the stokehold as the ship was a coal burning ship and ash could not be dumped in the harbour. I was to become very familiar with this stuff in the course of the next twenty five plus months. Although I had been to the Dolphin and done the seamanship side of being at sea I was overwhelmed by my lack of knowledge of the requirements of real sailing and the everyday working on board. To tell it honestly I was liability on deck at first as I was an accident waiting to happen. I had no clue how to do the most mundane tasks and when the bosun would tell me something I would look dumbstruck until it was explained to me. When battening down I was delegated to help chippy put in the hatch wedges and haul the bag of them around. Even then I had to be shown the correct way to insert them before he would hammer them tight. Hypotenuse against hatch - I still remember.
This learning was to continue for a long time but thus was “starting to be a sailor”
When I started this thread I did not envisage it would continue for so long and one memory would trigger another buried deep in the brain. I have enjoyed relaying these tales and adventures but it is now time to stop. Thanks for all the input and comments I do appreciate them
Lakercapt

The crew who were to be my shipmates for the next two plus years, (some did not last this long) were a mixed lot. The Deck crew were mostly “Geordies” (from the Newcastle area) with the exception of the five Scots, three from Barra in the Western Isles including the bosun and two from the lowlands. The catering crew were all Geordies and the “black gang” neither a derogatory nor a racist term) engine room and stokehold gang were all Arabs from South Shields. The engineers were a mixed bunch but all English and the radio officer was Irish. The captain R.H. Anderson was from the North of England area as were the second and third mates.
In the catering staff there were the second steward, assistant steward, cabin boy, galley boy second cook/baker and lastly the chief cook. The chief steward was already on board as part of the crew we were to replace as was the first mate.
Of these crew members only the second cook and galley boy (later assistant steward) completed the whole voyage, the rest either deserted or married and elected to stay in Australia. In the deck side the ones returning to the U.K. were the captain and second mate and the radio officer. The bosun, cook and the Geordie carpenter completed the P.O’s. The original deck crew more or less changed several times and only one sailor who signed on lasted the voyage. In the original deck crew one of the O.S’s I surprised when I saw him at signing on, was in the class above me in Royston Primary School and lived in the same street. We became friends and he told me before he jumped ship he had had enough and wanted to stay in Australia. (He did and married an Australian girl and many years later when I was mate on a ship I met him in Port Pirie) All of the firemen, trimmers and donkey men completed the voyage as did the two of us apprentices.
Before boarding the bus to transport us to London I was advised to change into “go ashore” gear and pack my uniform away. I did and the next time I wore it was when I joined the M.V.Daleby some years later!!
The trip out to Australia as I mentioned in a previous posting was on a B.O.A.C. Argonaut aircraft which was a four engine propeller plane. There was another crew on board as well as the crew for the “Firby” but a different company. It took five days with stops overnight on the way. As a first tripper I was fascinated with the stopovers as never having experienced a foreign country other than England it was strange with the exotic smells and strange peoples. We were allowed then to walk from the hotels were boarded at overnight and sightsee. Something which would not happen today. The last stopover before Sydney was in Darwin where the heat and the humidity were beyond my comprehension. I had never in my life experienced this and as it was mid winter when I left home to be assailed with this was a very very big surprise. Arriving in Sydney we were subject to the normal customs and immigration screening but as ship’s crew we did not have to show passports as the British Seaman’s Identity card was accepted. We were informed the ship we were to join was not due in Newcastle NSW for a few days and were accommodated in a nice hotel and allowed to do as we wished. I was totally thunder struck and I was taken under the wing of Bob Chapman (the O.S. from my same street) and an old hand A.B. and did some sightseeing and as it was summer time here went to one of Sydney’s beaches, Manley. It was fortunate that my parents had had the presence of mind to give me some money before leaving so I bought a swim suit.
Lakercapt

In the middle of January I received my indentures which were to be signed by my father and I and these signatures to be witnessed. This was then sent back to “Ropners”. Soon afterwards I received another letter with a rail voucher to North Shields in England. I had been assigned to a ship called the “Firby” which was trading on the Australian cast and was to be there for about two years. My parents were not at all pleased about this length of time away but I was neither for or against as it seemed like a great adventure. The crew were signing on in the shipping office in North Shields on January 28th and then being transported by bus to London where we would catch a flight to Australia. In 1953 the thought of flying to the other side of the world was novel, whereas today it is hum hoe with jets doing it in hours where we would take five days.
The day before I was all packed and the taxi ordered to take me to Waverly station and catch a train there. It was the first of many departures in my life and a sad occasion. I was all dressed up in my uniform and as I was more or less an officer travelling first class. I was settled in the carriage and my luggage stowed in the overhead rack when this officious conductor came and told me ths was for first class passengers only. My father took great delight showing him my first class ticket. It was all tears when the whistle blew and I waved a fond farewell to my parents not to see them again for over two long eventful years. It was only a few hours until we were in Newcastle where I had to change trains and as it was the next day I was to report I had to stay overnight in a hotel. Never having to do this before I got a taxi and told him to take me to a hotel. I had enough money to pay for this and the first evening away I felt extremely lonely. Next morning I got on the local train to North Shields and a taxi to the Mercantile Marine office as instructed. I got there and was met by the personnel man and got all my necessary documentation for the Merchant Navy. I had photographs taken for my new Seaman’s Identity card and the important “Discharge Book”( this book which I still have) is important as a record of each ship you sailed on was entered and the date of joining and leaving plus a copy of report of character. The photograph in my last posting was from this book. The rest of the crew were assembled here and signed on the ships “Articles of Agreement”. This agreement between the master of the vessel and the crew and is extensive in that it has many clauses. These clauses spell out what would be the length of time for the agreement (It was always two years), wages and the minimum food to be allowed etc. The Shipping Master read out this agreement to the assembled crew and if they were in agreement “signed”, on. The unions had all vetted this previously. I and the other apprentice who was doing is second year did not sign as I mentioned before.

Unread post by Guest »

You look suitable enthused ! Sixteen is very young to go to sea and exist in that rough and tumble environment. I'm sure it makes one grow up quickly. And to learn to expect more of oneself and those around them. Your writings about your youth and experiences early in your career explain the high expectations you placed on yourself and your crew in later years. I'm sure there's lots more to tell I say hopefully as I've found this to be a fascinating account.
Lakercapt

All the other cadets on the course had applied to shipping companies for a berth and fortunately we all managed to secure a position with various companies. Three of the first class students were taken on by a famous Edinburgh company whose ships were all named after mountains in Scotland, Ben Line Limited. They were to go as cadets. Another lad whose father was a captain in Port Line was also taken on as a cadet. The rest of the class (16) were going as apprentices on various companies. The majority were to be indentured on tankers and a couple like me on “Tramp” shipping companies. I should explain the differences between going as a cadet as to being an apprentice. Cadets signed on the ships “Articles of Agreement” as all crew members did (this agreement is between the master and the crew) and could go on any ship or company to complete their required sea time. Apprentices were indentured to the shipping company and did not sign on the “Articles” and had many restrictions on as to their conditions etc.
I received a letter from the Company Sir R. Ropner and company, with a list of suggested clothes etc that were required. This was a very comprehensive list and included uniform, tropical dress whites with epaulettes etc. and of course working gear and wet weather gear. My parents were not well off and seeing this list gave them a shock as it would be rather expensive to fill. We went down to a marine outfitter in Leith and showed them the list. Although they were in the business of selling managed to trim the list of items they considered unnecessary. I was measured up for my uniform at this time. The costs on my sea going kit we managed to reduce as there was a war surplus store close by and managed to get the clothes there. A kit bag too which some person who was a good artist decorated with cartoon characters. When my uniform was ready we went to the fitting and I was disappointed that there was no gold braid on the sleeve but a little insignia on the collar. Little did I know this uniform was seldom to be worn until I had nearly finished my time!!
At the end of the course in December we all were to part ways and except for a few classmates never to see each other again. The ones I met later on were when we returned to the college to study for our certificates. A couple of my classmates decided this was not the life for them and quite. This resulted in H.M.G. sending them a letter ordering them to report for National Service.
Attachments
Apprentice.jpg
Apprentice.jpg (45.55 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
Lakercapt

The lessons were an advancement of courses we had already taken and we would still have the signals each day and to our wonderment we became quite proficient. The old saying about practice can make perfect come to mind. Alas this skill did deteriorate with lack of use and the years as an apprentice were just that. It was only when I was back studying for my second mates certificate I would use it again. As the Radar station was at the ends of the docks lunch time meant either packing a lunch or going out of the docks to where we had meals before. To get there and back you had to cycle, which was what I did on occasion. One day I was staying for the break and another student asked to borrow my bike. Not a problem but it was as it turned out! Coming back he misjudged the speed and hit the sill on the lock gate. My pride and joy was unrideable as the front forks had been forced back on the frame and the bike was now a complete loss. I was mad and now I had to get transport to and from school till he replaced my bike. Back to the bus and tramcar and then the long slog to the station. It was a long week before I got my replacement. At the Radar station we could look out and see one of the Martello towers which had been built to protect the port of Leith during the Napoleonic wars. These were massive stone towers and housed troops to fire the cannon at any hostile ships which approached. It was housed at the top of the tower and could be rotated 360 degrees. (With the improvements in the port it is no longer in the water but as the landfill has extended it is now on land).
Nearing the end of the course it was time to start letter writing to get a job with a shipping company. Although there were many British shipping companies the major ones were very picky in choosing their apprentices or cadets. Their choice was from the prodigious schools and Leith Nautical did not fall into this category. I wrote many letters and even did not get the courtesy of a reply from many. The rejection letters were mostly polite and would contain the regrets etc. and hope you have good luck in your career. Eventually I received a positive response from a company in Darlington in England wishing for me to come down for an interview and a voucher for the train travel was enclosed.
Good suit and shoes polished I got the early morning train from Edinburgh Waverly station, the place where I was to have many sad parting and joyous reunions in the years to come. It was not a long journey and a taxi from the station to their office on Conniscliffe road deposited for the interview. I was escorted to the office of the personnel manager and politely answered his questions and offered tea (what else in England!). I was then taken to the office of one of the owners and introduced as a possible apprentice. He was very polite and was profuse in his praises of the company and their good reputation with the sea going staff (I was to find out this was not so in time to come) Models of the ships in their fleet were positioned throughout the office and I was impressed by some of them. Home again the same day and it was a few days later I received a letter informing me I would be offered a position as an indentured apprentice in their fleet. I should contact them when I completed of the course.
Attachments
Leith Nautical cert 2.jpg
Leith Nautical cert 1.jpg
Lakercapt

During the term we had an hour lunch break and although there were no facilities to eat some of the students brought a packed lunch. It was not much as there was not much choice. Butter was still on ration and my mother would divide the family ration up into the four pieces. You then did what you wanted with it as when it was gone you had the choice then of margarine. I detested this horrible concoction and still to this day cannot abide it. (Later on I was on ships which carried palm oil for the production of this stuff my loathing increased) As an experiment readers might t try this in the warmer weather, take a tub of this stuff in the refrigerated cabinet in the grocery store and remove the lid. Leave it outside and see what happens. No insects will touch it or any animals. It will not go bad or turn rancid. People eat it!!. Anyway sandwiches were really not an option so we would walk along the street to the “Shore”. In this area of the old port would be several places that a quick, and more importantly for us, cheap meal could be had.
When this term was coming to a close we had exams to see if we were to be allowed to proceed to the next and final term. None of my class failed so we went for a couple of week’s vacation before starting the last term. By this time I must admit I was fed up with school but to get the reduction in the required four years sea time it was essential I carry on and finish the course. (This allowance was a six month reduction).The next term was a change in location again. Leith Nautical was an old school and did not have the facilities needed for this massive influx of students. The building where we were also housed had the radio officers training as well as the engineers so classroom space was at a premium. We moved to a new location which was out at the very edge of the port. This building housed the equipment for the training in a new fangled piece of equipment for merchant ship, RADAR. This so the equipment could “see” right down the Firth of Forth and up to the famous rail bridge. It could monitor the approaches and was good training for the mates and radio officers. We as lowly cadets were excluded but did get to see it operating!
Lakercapt

Other subjects were ship construction and stability. With the ship construction we were one time allowed to visit the local shipbuilding yard of Henry Robb which was not far from the college. We were there once to see a launching which was impressive. The work on building a ship was one that had been used for many years. A plating shop cut and bent plates to shape. The frames were bent to plans on a large bending plate with holes to put the pegs to bend it. All very labour intensive and slow. I think of today’s modern methods of modular construction when all the work is done in a covered environment and like Lego is joined together on site. Changed days and a better quality of ship is the result. It is not surprising the shipyard no longer exists. The drawing room was a massive place with many draughtsmen busy making plans. All done now on a computer and a draughtsman with a mouse. It was busy term and I now could understand the amount of information and skills which were necessary to become a navigating officer. I was glad when the term came to a close and a few weeks’ vacation was earned after the exams were finished. One more term and them it would be off to sea to get sea time in to qualify for the certificate of competency. The whole term I had been riding my bike regardless of the weather. When it rained I had a ponchos type of rainwear. The bikes were all fitted with what we would call fenders but we at the time called them mud guards. That stopped the wheels spraying up on you. On days when I did take public transit I would be reading the rules of the road as we were frequently asked questions about them and another exercise I never did manage without difficulty. How is she heading? I thought this archaic especially when it was a sailing ship. For this exercise you were show navigation light in a certain angle off the bow and given your ships course and had to respond in the directions the target could be heading. So much useless knowledge I thought but it was required in the syllabus for second mates exam!