My starting to be a sailor

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jerry at Duluth

Re: My starting to be a sailor

Unread post by Jerry at Duluth »

Captain, I was interested in your comments about the NCB surveyor. You are correct in that meals and pellets do not require a stability calculation. This was because of the high angle of repose of these products. We did have a surveyor at Duluth who wanted them back in the early 1970s by the name of Leo Doyle. He went to New Orleans when he left Duluth and I wonder if that was him. He did not insist upon the calculation at Duluth but wanted to see some indication of the vessels stability when loading grain byproducts at Duluth.
Jerry
Lakercapt

Unread post by Lakercapt »

As we approached the US coast the weather improve to be very pleasant after all the rough seas and rolling about. This like all warm weather brought out the seasick fraternity and at last the whole crew were working. The steering lessons continued and we had more or less thought the three best would be the ones to steer in and out of port. They had yet to do it but we considered it the best option. The mate G. had been instructing the mates on the mooring winch controls. These were all new innovations to them as usually the mates directed the deck hands on warping lines and back springs etc.Doing it all from a position on the main deck was all new and still to be tried out. The first mooring would be their baptism by fire. I was not convinced it would all work out but we had to play the hand that was dealt to us so to speak. The engine room crew were working out with help from D. the Canadian 2nd engineer and G. the chief engineer. I was still very apprehensive about the whole thing so to make sure, if anything untoward happened, I made copies of all the messages sent by me regarding to competence, or lack of the crew. This I intended to mail to my wife and evidence of my misgivings would be on record.
The trip round the Florida coast was it inside route close to the shore. This to avoid the strong Gulf Stream current. It was the first a first for the crew as now we were able to receive TV and to say their reactions were awe is to put it lightly. Never having witnessed the variety of programmes and of course the commercials had them agog. Alas this was to be the nearest they would get to experiencing North American culture which I will get to shortly. The pilot in to the Mississippi was not ordered for our arrival which meant going to anchor till it could be arranged. Next morning he boarded and we proceeded to the Nine Mile anchorage to complete formalities and wait for the loading berth to be free. On approaching the anchorage I sent the third mate who was on watch to check the anchors were free as the sparkie had been checking out the bridge anchor release. He was quite perplexed as he was used to this being the first mates job on all the other ships he had sailed on. I told him that was not how we worked and it was good practice. It was just as well Tom was still there to stop him as he started to release the windlass brake and release the anchor. Would have been spectacular results. We were steaming full ahead and the anchor and cable flying out.
I expected problems and it was not long before they occurred. First to the fore was Immigration. I had the crew lists ready and they were not Visaed which was impossible to obtain as I did not know where we were going when e sailed from Amsterdam. Nobody was to be allowed ashore at first and I informed him the Canadian crew were not required to have a visa. This was news to him and he had to check with his superior to be told I was correct. A couple of the Indian crew had obtained a visa from other visits so USA, they were allowed as was Tom the sparkie. None of the Chinese were granted pemission and a guard had to be posted at the gangway when berthed. The customs did not like the crew declarations but it was the best under the circumstances and eventually they accepted it. Not finished yet. The US department of agriculture on inspection of the hold found a few grains of wheat which had been overlooked when the holds were cleaned. The mate G. Who went round with them was so incensed he picked them up and ate them much to the horror of the inspector. Number four cargo hold was filled with water ballast and would not be inspected until empty. I explained it was necessary to keep this filled as the boat would be too high out of the water to manoeuvre properly. If they insisted i informed them it would make the boat too high out of the water for the loading rig to reach the holds but I lost this battle knowing I would win the war later. I had experienced this problem before and had informed our company about it that they would inform all parties about it. When we were on the lakes it had been normal practice to pump this hold out and clean it after berthing Never been a problem but as I was finding out lots had changed and not for the better. Not finished yet as the Cargo Bureau insisted they be presented with a grain cargo stability calculation. I questioned this as I was not aware they required this for soya bean meal which is not classed as a grain cargo to my knowledge. Their insistence was by this time making me extremely pi**ed of so G. whisked down to the loading computer and got one that satisfied these officious jerks. The agent during this period was as much assistance as to have been ashore. Eventually all departed and fairly satisfied we would not pollute the USA mainland and their way of life.
Next problem was I was happy to pass this to G the chief engineer. We had ordered bunkers and stipulated the maximum S.G. of fuel (this was a requirement after this initial problems with the engine liner and piston wear) to be supplied. The bunker barge came alongside when we were at anchor and connected up. Before they started to pump, the C/E asked for the specs of the fuel. Not acceptable as the S.G. exceeded the maximum ordered. Guess down “South” which we are always told, had very friendly people was a figment of our imagination as up till now it was not apparent. Many words were exchanged and they disconnected and off to the next happy customer!! Many phone calls later another barge appeared and the correct fuel was transferred on board. An amusing incident occurred during this as one of the PRC crew saw a few drops of oil when the hose was disconnected. Wondered what it was and the bosun managed to convey its purpose. How was it a so called AB had never seen this stuff? My first visit to New Orleans was many years ago when I was an apprentice but the sights still fascinated me. The large tugboats pushing a huge raft of barges with such skill got high marks. The smell of the river too is a one and only.
A couple of days at anchor allowed us to get some repairs to our radars and the new module for the radio station. It was a surprise when the technician working on the radio told us we were to get a pilot in a couple hours to berth and he hoped to have completed by then. No word for the agents about this! We were ready when he came and chatting with him when he found out we were a Great Lakes boat. I understood the radio traffic as it was the same as we used on the “Lakes”. Approaching the berth in a place called Reserve miles up river from New Orleans He said the ship would be too high for the loading rig to reach. Very welcome words to my ears and I was now going to win the war having lost the previous battle!
Lakercapt

With the assistance of the man from Denholm’s got the crew signed on and collected all the discharge books and passports in preparation of making a crew list up. One thing I noticed from the PRC crew the discharge books were all in sequence and signed by the same person even though there were all from different ships. This could not be possible. According to these books all had been sailing the required amount of time to be, by our standards A.B.’s for the deck crew and proficient mechanics for the engine room crew. How false this was showed up quickly. The CEO (sparkie) who had sailed for Denholm’s for some time was surprised at the poor quality of the men. It was a mad panic completing all the formalities and preparing to sail on the 27th. I was informed the vessel was now o charter to the Soviets, so now there were four groups of people I was required to report to. The CPO (bosun) appeared to be a good person and he too had been with Denholm’s for a while and was perplexed with has gang who could not understand what was being asked of them.
Goodness how we managed but we sailed eventually and going down the canal the first problem arose. The AB at the wheel could not steer nor follow steering instructions. The third mate eventually took over until we cleared the pilot. We had no destination and were to head out to the Bishops Rock and await instructions from the charterer “Socofract”. The English Channel was busy as expected and everyone was obeying the traffic separation routing. The crew were still wondering about trying to familiarize themselves with the new surroundings. I was inundated with paper work and managed with the help of the sparkie. He was from Ireland and proved to be a great asset in the coming months. The mates were trying hard to grasp the concept of a “lake” boat and with the help of G. the Canadian mate finding it tough but getting there. We had been in more or less sheltered waters but getting clear of the coast the effects of an Atlantic depression were starting to be felt. Later on we were instructed by the charters to proceed to SW passage of the Mississippi. Now the rolling and pitching was having its effect and most of the PRC crew were lying in the hallways and common rooms violently seasick. I was dispensing Gravol like smarties and the rest of the crew, were through necessity having to fill in for the sick members. The meals you would understand were when it was possible to get the catering staff operational.
The Telex traffic increased and everyone required to be answered immediately. I was pleased the sparkie, Tom, was doing all this as the morse messages were nil. The first lifeboat and fire drill, (it should have been done before we sailed but all the shore parties wished us gone ASAP) was an out and out disaster and left me feeling really upset at my predicament. How could I cope if an emergency happened with the ship and this crew to cope with it? Every day training the PRC crew to steer and do simple tasks was taking priority. The Chief Steward who was supposed to help was getting off at the first port so did little to contribute. One of the deck rating reported to me that his leg was sore. I looked at it and wondered how he had passed a medical. It was badly ulcerated and suppurating. I sent him down to the hospital and after consulting the”Shipmasters Medical Guide” started to treat him. During the trip I was informed we were to load soya bean meal for Leningrad. The crew had no cold weather gear and I informed the management company of this. It will be supplied in the loading port I was told. As the weather was moderating more of the crew showed their faces and another boat and fire drill was held. The mate had been instructing the crew for days and although it was an improvement a lot was left to be desired. This is not made up as I have it all written in my diary. The next challenge I faced was making up the crew list for US Immigration. This was not a new thing for me as I had to do it when we were Canadian. The challenge this time was all the non Caucasian names and this list is to be in alphabetical order. With Canadian vessels it is not necessary to have list visaed. With the help of Tom (what a great asset it was having this fellow) we spent ages compiling it. Chinese and Asian names plus they few others made our heads spin. As I had no indication of where we were headed when departing I could not have this list visaed and I knew it would be a problem when we got to the USA and I was correct. The AB with the bad leg was improving with the treatment and was officious with his thanks. The other PRC crew were duly impressed too.
We celebrated Chinese New Year on 6th February which also happened to be my birthday so a double celebration. The crew enjoyed the spread the cooks managed to prepare considering there were only the stores meant for the Canadian crew. It was a big surprise to them there was no rationing of food and if they wanted more was available. One member I observed was packing his rice bowl and I gave him another and the look on his face was priceless. A big change for him and there was to be many more in the coming months they were on board. We had a supply of movies on board for the Canadian crew and one of the video cassettes was a movie called the “Last Emperor” .I put it on for the crew through the ships system and this caused a great stir. If you have seen this movie you will know it told the story of Puyi. It was filmed partly in China and had Mandarin dialog. The comments I was able to get from the crew were an indication they had been well and truly brought up with the Communist indoctrination. It was a western propaganda film and not true. As they had never seen anything outside of China many were the surprises in store for them. Please understand this was in 1989 and the culture revolution not long passed and the China we know today is a long way from what they were living with.
Lakercapt

Guest wrote:Can you please elaborate that the crew from India were not as skilled.My personal experience on sailing with that crew was very positive.
As with all nationalities there are good and otherwise and in your experiance it was good. I had good officers and also some that were great at book work but on a practical level were worse than useless. In stories I will relate about this later you will understand what I mean. When in heavy traffic areas round Europe I had to take over the con on occasion as the officer of the watch had got us in a very dangerious position. The radio officer called me as he observed this and was concerned. This happened more than once so in the end I was more or less in the pilothouse all the time just in case. I did not trust them to follow the trafffic separations or use good seamanship. I sometime wondered if they had in fact obtained their qualifications fraudulently.
Some might question this statement but I have friends who have had applicants from the place we are talking about, who prouduced documentation to show that they were qualified but they could not do the job when tested.
Lakercapt

Guest wrote:Can you please elaborate that the crew from India were not as skilled.My personal experience on sailing with that crew was very positive.
As with all nationalities there are good and otherwise and in your experiance it was good. I had good officers and also some that were great at book work but on a practical level were worse than useless. In stories I will relate about this later you will understand what I mean. When in heavy traffic areas round Europe I had to take over the con on occasion as the officer of the watch had got us in a very dangerious position. The radio officer called me as he observed this and was concerned. This happened more than once so in the end I was more or less in the pilothouse all the time just in case. I did not trust them to follow the trafffic separations or use good seamanship. I sometime wondered if they had in fact obtained their qualifications fraudulently.
Some might question this statement but I have friends who have had applicants from the place we are talking about, who prouduced documentation to show that they were qualified but they could not do the job when tested.
Lakercapt

In mid January I was asked to come to the office in St.Catharines for a briefing and discussion about the deep sea masters and chief engineer’s contract. I sort of knew what this was about and was no exactly enthused about it. Was told that the office meeting were not to be considered as time worked as, it was their contention that if the deep sea guys were paid them all the other sea going staff would have to be paid for the winter meeting. That was not on according to them as it would be a fairly large bill and they had never done it before. I did resolve the issue of my time worked as my diaries were my proof I was not adding extra days. One of the reasons for their discrepancy was they did not consider time travelling to and from the ship as time worked!! Our reasoning was we were on company business and therefore it counted.
It was not a shock to learn the boat was flagging out to the Isle of Man registry the port of Castletown which was a small fishing village. All the Canadian crew except the Captain and chief engineer were to go. For the short interim there would be a mate and 2nd engineer to assist for the transition. The deck and engine room rating were Chinese from PRC except the chief steward (a new position), bosun and cook who were for Honk Kong. The mates and engineers were Indian nationals. In addition because of the rules we were also to have a radio officer. He was not called as such but has a designation of electrical officer. All the crew were supplied by Delholm Ship Management and I don’t know who had ths bright idea of such a mixed crew. The members from Hog Kong spoke Cantonese, the PRC crew Mandarin with some different dialects and he Indian officers Hindi but also English. This I discovered when the chief engineer and joined but more about this later.
I was asked to go to Transport Canada and get my “B” license for the Great Lakes” .Foreign ships, which were now to be, could have a Pilotage exemption for certain parts of the system if the vessel had navigating officers with this designation. I called the Toronto office about obtaining this and I spoke to a new person there. He had to look up the requirements and informed me I would have to attend their offices and be examined by him on the rules, buoyage, traffic management etc.(did I mention he was from Bombay). I enquired if he had ever sailed on the “Lakes” and he told me he had not. I reminded him I had been sailing as master on the “lakes” for many years and thought I knew what was required. Declined his offer and went down to St.Catharines and presented myself to the examiners, who I had known for years and got the required piece of paper from them.
Chief engineer G. And I flew to Amsterdam on 25th January and no one was at the airport to meet us so we got a taxi. We did not know where the ship was berthed but the taxi driver kindly got on to his dispatcher. They found out from the port authorities and we managed to locate her. It was very strange going back to a boat I had been on from the beginning and not being welcomed back by a watchman I knew. Captain H was there and it did not take long to know chaos ensued. The new crew had just arrived as they were scheduled to come when the Canadians had left. The departing crew were only allowed one bag of effects the rest to be forwarded to their homes. The PRC crew were all dressed exactly the same in denim outfits carrying identical luggage. This was part of the management’s agreement. Workers were busy on the stern burning off the raised lettering of the port of registry, Thunder Bay. The radio equipment was being modified to incorporate a Morse key and an additional module. I now was able to say that I had been the first to register the boat as Canadian and now British. I never thought it woiuld happen but again I was sailing under the red ensign.

Unread post by Guest »

Can you please elaborate that the crew from India were not as skilled.My personal experience on sailing with that crew was very positive.
Lakercapt

Guest wrote:Capt after you lost the Canadian crew how was the overall upkeep of the vessel the same or did it start to slide?
It most certainly did not get the same attention mainly for two reasons.
We would spend much more time sailing in salt water.
The crews were not as skilled, first the crew from The Peoples Republic of China and latterly from India.
On an completely Indian crew there were more on board.
PRC crews would be the same.
More of the trails and tribulations later.

Unread post by Guest »

Capt after you lost the Canadian crew how was the overall upkeep of the vessel the same or did it start to slide?
Lakercapt

Nearing the end of 1988 I was beginning to realise the days of Thunder Bay on the stern were numbered and thought about the Christmas’s we had with the Canadian crews. It was my practice to have all the crew sitting in the officers dining saloon. The crew had made insets to fit the tables which could sit the whole crew. The chief engineer and I would serve the Christmas dinner to all but the watch keepers then relieve them for their dinner. Seemed to work well. Before dinner we would invite any of the crew who wished up to the owner’s suite to have a pre dinner drink. I don’t recall anyone being under the influence to the extent they were unable to function at their jobs. One on Christmas we were in miserable weather crossing the Atlantic and getting tossed about I hove too to minimize the movement that we could enjoy dinner without having to hang on to the plates and cutlery flying off the table. All Kudos to the galley staff as they managed to do all the specials without fail.
When I was home for this period, which was seldom my wife and I used to have the usual presents under the Christmas tree. We all, had the option of opening one gift on Christmas Eve. Our son was intrigued with one which was fairly small but heavy and could not wait to open it. I had been very devious and got $20.00 in rolled quarters and securely taped then so they would not roll about no matter how the box was shaken. He opted for that one and was not happy with his choice until he realised how much he could buy with it.
In the latter part of the year we were to load a very mixed cargo of ten different commodities for Antwerp. It consisted of mustard seeds, flax, peas, amber Durham wheat and barley among other things. A very mixed bunch and as it was for overseas all the proper rules and regulations had to be complied with. This involved inspections but government officials and stability calculations etc. The loading computer was invaluable for this even though today it would be looked on by video game players like “pong” would be today. I was not to be doing the voyage and I was relieved to go on vacation not realising this was the last of my seeing the Canadian crew, some who had been with the boat from the very start and most for years. The change of registry I was informed of before I returned in January 1989. This was beginning of the end for Miseners and Pioneer shipping and not a happy time. I will recall some of the experiences I had with the foreign crews.
Lakercapt

During this time period our daughter started her second year at Queens University in Kingston Ontario. She had, from an early age been on board ships for voyages to many countries. Since I sailed on the lakes she did not travel with me often but one trip she and a friend did on a self unloader, at the age of sixteen. She was not accompanied by my wife. (What a foolish thing you will be thinking) As is the trade I was on the go nearly all the time, with night time pilotages etc. and did not know what they were doing. From all accounts they had a very enlightening and enjoyable trip. It was later when she was home and told her Mom, my wife what the crew thought of me. There are good bastards as captain and bad bastards. I was in the former category I was pleased to hear. They also mentioned when I was there they could sleep at night knowing they were in safe hands. Accolades enough!!
Queens University is fashioned after Edinburgh University and as such the school band is outfitted with full Highland regalia. As an extracurricular activity she was a part of the band and took part in the Toronto Santa Claus parade. My wife was driving her down to TO and was delayed in traffic going to the assembly point and would have been late except for the intervention of a cop who escorted them there to arrive on time. During her time there, in her second and subsequent years she rented an apartment with four of her friends. It was necessary for my wife and I to travel along the 401 highway with care packages. She would frequently call her Mom and comment on the price of basic items. These were costly would be her comments. Amazing how it was that things which were freely available at home now cost a lot of money when she had to purchase them. One occasion I was asked to bring my tools as the vacuum cleaner was not working properly. On arrival I got the machine out and plugged it in and rightly so it was not working properly but gave out a mournful sighing sound. Took it apart to discover the bag was full to the brim and the hose was choked. No wonder it was not working. I cleaned it and replaced the bag and it was operational again. Assembled the girls and asked if I should ask for a refund of their tuition fees as if they were the bright ones where did they think all the dirt and debris went when they did the cleaning?
During the fall I was relieved in the “Canal” as there was to be a masters and chief engineers meeting to discuss our conditions of service and the implementation of a bonus package. It was not a whole hearted success as we could not agree to the bonus system. The captain who relieved me was on the regular “lakers” and after a short course on the bridge control system and the bowthruster was left to cope. As he had been on the all for’d boats it was a novel experience for him and he told me afterwards he preferred the old boats as it was too noisy on this one. I was back again in Thunder Bay and only got on board to be informed there was no cargo so pay off the crew and lay her up. The paperwork involved doing this is massive with all the individual forms for the tax and unemployment benefits etc. Which each crew member had to have. All was done as fast as I could get it done and arrangements for travelling completed in jig time. The shore power was connected and the shore phone installed. The generators shut down and all was quiet. Four days later a cargo was booked and the crew had to be called back. I was beginning to wonder which bright person organised this debacle as the costs were not insignificant. This was one of the reasons I was totally against the bonus system as incidents out with your control would make a voyage which was profitable a loss. The idea was scraped as unworkable. The cargo was for Halifax so I was happy as this meant we were far from the office. It was not long afterwards I was asked if I would like to transfer to the S.S as she was to be flagged out and have Indian crew. I was asked as I was the only person having sailed with foreign nationals. I politely declined but I knew in my heart this was only delaying that awful day.
Lakercapt

I had some vacation and then it was time to go back to my ship (as I now looked on it) which while I was away had been to Leningrad and then loaded in France, wheat for Limassol in Cyprus. It was now loading gypsum in the south coast of Spain at a port called Carboneras. It was a round about getting there as I flew to Amsterdam then from there to Madrid and caught a domestic flight to Almeric. From there it was a taxi ride to the ship. By this time I was very tired and what with waiting about for flight connections was nearly 24 hrs travelling. Arriving on board I was met by Capt B. Who had been promoted. He had been with me as mate when the boat was being built and richly deserved the promotion. I did not ask what had happened to Capt F who replaced me at New Years. It was the latter part of March and the weather was a dramatic difference from what I had left at home. It was spring time here and flowers were blooming. It was warm enough to allow many of the crew members to visit the beach which was close by. They enjoyed the views there as locals were enjoying the spring weather by wearing swimsuits, or not having the upper part of the Bikini on. Much more civilized in their views are some Europeans. The loading was fairly leisurely and this was appreciated by the crew, however the office was not amused. On departure we made sure there was enough wine on board to last the voyage. It was the usual Atlantic crossing weatherwise. We were to take this cargo to a place we had been to before on a couple of occasions, Cementon, up the Hudson River, just below Albany in NY. We were well known there by now and the people we dealt with were very friendly and helpful. I had a few crew changes and the immigration were as usual unhelpful. These crew members were Canadian citizens and as I mentioned previously we used to go over to Buffalo shopping for the week end with only a driver’s license as identity. Because they were from a ship seemed to be a problem. They were only going to Albany and catching the Amtrak train to Toronto. It stopped there coming from New York. I didn’t mention the wharf was not very well surfaced and the best way to get from shore to the boat was to ride on the clam grab. Not Ideal but with a little care safe enough. As the people ashore were so helpful invited the office staff etc. for lunch and the ladies all thought the method of boarding quite a thrill. The lunch and show round the boat were a big hit. I discovered a long time ago these gestures and the philosophy that sugar goes further than s**t helps cement good relationships.
When completed it was down to Philadelphia to load coal for Sorel in Canada. I enjoyed visiting her and found the waterfront a hive of activity with many attractions. I went on board the old battleship from the Spanish American war and the WWII submarine. The latter made me wonder at how the crew which sailed on these craft coped. I am not claustrophobic but the cramped conditions on there made me uncomfortable. The crew spent many weeks on patrol and I hate to think of how I would have survived. All were volunteers and knew what was involved.
Rob W

Unread post by Rob W »

Coors light joke was great Cap :)

Rob W
Lakercapt

As I mentioned earlier I sail primarily on S.P. but once on the other two vessels. We were discharging in Halifax and the sat/phone rang one afternoon. I had just completed the new ships agreement as it was to be overseas again. I was looking forward to having New Years in port. That was not to be as the call was from the shore captain K. He was lucky to have been answered as the room was normally closed in port but the C/E had been faxing a requisition at the time. The relieving captain on S.S. captain M was sick and the boat was due to sail overseas the next morning. I was to go there ASAP to take over. I was pi**ed of at these as he had been sick a few times, or so he contended. It was very bad weather at this time, blowing a blizzard but I hastily packed a bag and went out to Halifax airport to catch a flight, if they were still flying to Sydney NS. It was touch and go but the pilot decided to try and off we went. It was a Dash 8 plane and the flight was very bumpy. Coming in to land was hairy and when we taxied to the terminal I was relieved. A taxi down to the boat and I arrived late that night with no one but the watchman around. I went to bed in the owner’s suite and expected to see Captain M next morning but when I went for breakfast he was gone and a hand over list was all I got. The cargo had finished loading just before I arrived but required a few hours of trimming by bulldozers. Later in the morning we set sail. It was destined for Le Havre and Ghent.
Some of the crew I had met before but it’s not a pleasant feeling being sent aboard at the last minute. The trip was a usual one for winter in the North Atlantic with one gale after another so I did not manage to get on deck for an inspection till after New Years. The cook managed to put on quite a spread and I had the crew up for a drink to toast in the New Years. 1988 was to be an interesting year as it turned out. Not one that I liked but it was beyond my control.
When we docked in LeHavre the French customs had a large rummage squad on board and they went to town fining many of the crew members for items they had not declared. This was unusual as personnel effects were normally excluded but not in this instance. My cabin was reached thoroughly which is not usual and a locked steamer truck belonging to the regular captain containing his personal effects was required to be opened. I did not have a key but the head customs guy insisted and the ars**ole broke the lock. Inside were his clothes and a pile of VCR tapes. As I had not declared them the ship was fined. In my many years at sea this was the first time it had happened. All this stemmed because of the French and Canadian governments were having a major disagreement. We were pigs in the middle. It did not leave a good taste in my mouth I might add.
We all were pleased to leave and proceeded to our next port to complete discharge. During our stay I found out the shore captains brother had been promoted and was to sail the S.P. Nepotism reared its ugly head and I was more than peeved when I heard this. I mentioned before he was going to mess me about and this was one of his petty revenges.
The trip round to Ghent was as expected a busy one with all the traffic in the Dover Straights. It always had a percentage of ships which did not follow routing making it a danger to others and the VHF broadcasting warming to shipping in the area. Through the locks in Terneuzen and up the wide canal to Ghent was not any difficulty for us but the usual hassle about tugs which was an ongoing thing. It was a speedy discharge with only part cargo and our orders were to proceed to Brake in Germany to load a full cargo of wheat for Limassol in Cyprus. A pleasant trip.
Many years ago this voyage round the northern coast of Germany involved going through the old minefields laid in WWII by both the Germans and the allies. The mines were the usual ones which many people think about, with the spikes and moored to the sea bottom. These had all been swept but the danger still existed from old acoustic and magnetic mines. When I was in Palm lime the new builds had a special fitting to counteract these magnetic mines. It consisted of massive electrical wires right round the ship. It was called de-gausing loop. This was tested regularly by going to a testing station beside Portland in the south part of England and steaming through a buoyed channel with it turned on. A special electrical panel was in the engine room and because it required a big power supply another generator was linked to make it effective. When we went round this was no longer needed as t was deemed safe.
Arriving at the pilot station we were required to take two pilots because of our length. The requirements also stated the use of two tugs for berthing and I by this time had come to accept these silly, in our case, use of tugs. I told the pilots to have the tugs stand by and when they pointed out the berth put the vessel alongside with our usual quiet efficiency. The pilots were very impressed and I was thankful we did not make a fool of ourselves. Next problem was we were too long for the loading rig to reach into #7 hold. It required a portable type of gear to move the cargo from #6 to #7 but knowing German ingenuity it worked well.
The passage down the North Sea and across the Bay of Biscay, notorious for bad weather was as expected and did not pose any problems. I had by this time, had a good look round and the same stress cracks noted. I now appreciated the difference in the three boats and by a log way the S.P. looked and was better.
On arrival at Limassol, as these ships had been there several times and all knew there exceptional capabilities and they received us with open arms. Captain G returned and was not happy about his cabin trunk but I told him the circumstances and he accepted it.
My flights home involved a change at London Heathrow where I caught a flight to Toronto. It was very mild when I departed Cyprus but had the presence of mind to pack my parka on the top of my suitcase so I could change when I got to TO. As the Bard quoted the best laid plans of mice and men gang aft aglay. (Meaning doesn’t work out). My luggage was not there on the carousel .Was missing! My wife and son were there to meet me and told me it was -25C outside. A quick dash to the car and I would be all right except my wife forgot what section she had parked. Looking about this massive parking area and I was getting colder by the minute. Was a great relief when we found it and had the heater going full blast to thaw me out? Was good to get home. Before I could get inside it was necessary to let our pet American Cocker spaniel out as whenever I came home she got so excited she peed.
Lakercapt

The tie up with the French company was beneficial for them. They were very efficient and we were always loaded well down coming back to the “Lakes”. I did not care much for the trips up to Calumet docks but that was normally the last port of discharge. They did pay the crew a bonus to clean out the cargo holds after the last of the cargo was discharged and it was paid in US dollars. It required extra paper work which the second mate was designated to do. It was just like keeping a second log book and included the fuel consumption as well as other data.
On one trip up the Welland canal I was advised we were to have some visitors to see what we did during the transit. They came on board at lock #1 and were accompanied by the shore captain. The two were introduced to me and I knew right away they came from Glasgow. It is quite a surprise to many visitors to the UK how many different ascents there are in such a small place. In Scotland you only have to travel 20 miles and the people speak and pronounce words another way. Having been in Glasgow, during the building of the boats, I could pick it out right away. They did not mention their affiliation but my suspicion was a company called Denholm Ship Management. The business they did was ships crewing. It seemed to me the writing was on the wall for the Canadian crews on these boats. I was correct in that guess as it so happened. We were always being told Canadian crews were too expensive and I would agree to this as third world countries, their standards not the same as ours, could live very well on the salaries our crews were receiving. Whither the standard of seamanship was comparable etc is another matter. (This I was to discover to my determent later on). It did not matter a hoot the efficiency of Canadian crews and much we tried to save it was not possible to compete on the international market. We were now spending more time “outside” so it came as no great surprise these options, foreign crewing, were being checked out.
One of the favourite ports which we visited on a fairly regular basis was Halifax. All the crew enjoyed the town and as the rate of discharge was slow we had plenty of time to enjoy the many amenities. I used to carry my bike and it was a quick ride up to the town centre with all the many attractions. The waterfront was a history lesson. The first time many off the thousands of immigrants to Canada was Pier 21 were they were processed and got on the railroad to destinations all over Canada. Nearer the town centre the replicas of the famous schooner “Bluenose” was docked and open to the public.This is featured on the Canadian dime. These fairly prolonged discharges ruffled the feathers of our office and they devised a system which would have expedited the unloading. Alas the local stevedoring union were not consulted. On our next visit a strike was called police had to attend our docking as we had to land our deckhands to tie up. This was a job usually done by them. Course the people whose idea it was were nowhere to be seen. The labour dispute caused the whole port of Halifax to come to a halt. Our boat was small cheese compared to the large container ships which called in there. Delaying them was a major factor in this dispute being resolved with no satisfactory solution to our concerns. Net result was back to the status quo.
MEL

Unread post by MEL »

Hey Cap! I have been enjoying your stories immensely! Bringing the wife on the ship for long trips... nah, for me sailing was a great escape... from the wife!
Lakercapt

It was during one summer when we were sailing outside and had a load of steel products and we arrived in Cleveland. Unfortunately for the company but good for me as it was a weekend and no cargo was to be worked. This was when the old baseball stadium was still down near the waterfront. I had visited there many years ago when I was taken to see my first baseball game. I thought it would be a good chance to go again. This time though I was much more knowledgeable as now I was a supporter of a team that had won the World Series two years in a row. Toronto Blue Jays and I wore my shirt and cap to a game that was being played there. It was not my team and the Indians were not the great team they are now (an ex-Blue Jay Edwin Encarnacion helping) but the mate and I had a great day attending. I was asked if I had come all the way from TO to see the game and I told the guy no I was on a boat in the harbour. Is it a big boat and I told him that the distance to the outfield marked 395 feet was just a bit more than half the length of the boat. He did not believe me so we went out onto the concourse and with a view of the harbour pointed it out to him. WOW was his only comment. I don’t remember who was playing the Indians but a pleasant afternoon even if the beer was lousy. A story I heard about Coors Light, “It’s like making love in a canoe. F**king close to water.
After one vacation my boat, S.P. was still on route I was sent to relieve Captain D. on the Canada Marquis (markwis) and could understand why he was the one who did not oppose when the company wished to change our contract. His wife was with all the time so it was a good life for him. I may be old fashioned, and my wife did come on board for short durations, but you cannot give two mistresses the same attention. The two being, the boat and your wife. One has to come second and it was not the person he married. I as is my usual when I returned from vacation had a very through look around the boat to see what was done during my time off. What I saw there was not good. I then understood the comment made by one of the Misener son’s wife when she visited the S.P. (how come this boat is smarter than ours). The frightening thing was there were cracks in places we had found on S.P. and I reported to the office. I would have assumed the company would have passed this information to the other two boats. I questioned the mate, who did not know the cracks were there and had him with me doing the rest of the inspection and found more. They would not have endangered the vessel but in time expanded and caused grief later. I informed the office and if was news to them. Repairs were carried out in jig time. My time on board was not one many enjoyed but it was the way I am and if it was alien to their way too bad. I was glad when my time there was over and handed over to the regular relieving Captain M. There is an old sailors saying “different ships, different long splices” which means there are more than one way to achieve the same thing.
Lakercapt

Often when we transited the Welland Canal we had visitors, my wife being a frequent one. These visitors including two of my best friends who joined at lock #8 in Port Colborne for the complete transit. My friends who had never experienced it before, to this day, still talk about it, in awe of the whole procedure. The flight locks were of particular interest as they went right up to the apron plate on the bow. The view from there is breath taking as the whole panorama of the canal and area is spectacular. One occasion I received a message there were to be a special party to join at lock #7. One of the Misener brothers was to have a meeting with business partners,on board and we were to time our arrival for 11 AM. Transiting the “”canal” I do not mind and sometimes when it is inclement weather it can be rather interesting! On the whole I usually consider it just another day’s work except when it’s heavy traffic and delays and other inconveniences. This meeting was one of them as we had to tie up above the guard gate, on the wall to time it right. I have never been known to be a patient person and was not a happy camper. We secured in the lock on time and I requested the lock to stop dumping when at deck level, to allow these guests to get on board. Usually when there are crew members getting off or rejoining it’s a very mad scramble using the short gangway for this to happen. The crew going off first, then those coming on board next. This takes place when the boat is lowering at a good rate so speed is essential. We carried on and the guests had their meeting, lunch and a tour of the boat. Latterly they all congregated in the pilothouse. Several times I had to ask them to stand back out of the view of the wheelsman. Questions about what was going on I patiently answered even if they were inane. One fellow asked me how many crew members were used to transit the canal. My response was, eight in total, The captain and wheelsman in the pilothouse, one mate and deckhand for’d, one mate and deckhand aft, one engineer and mechanical assistant in the engine room. The same bright fellow then asked how many in the crew. Twenty six I replied politely. Why do you need so many was his next question? My response as I was now not patient was “do you think I do the bloody cooking as well". That received a very hearty laugh but left me wondering what kind of company had him as the head honcho.
With passengers we usually had the same procedure. School trips with a bunch of kids involved some of the crew to sheppard them round and keep them out of the way of wires etc. They had a great time and the chaperons and them were treated to a nice kids lunch of French fries and wieners (as I used to tell my grandkids when they were younger and stayed with us (French fries are a vegetable) followed with ice cream and of course pop of their choice. (We had a pop dispensing machine in the lower hallway) We frequently had passengers and the crew tended to be polite and helpful and never tired of answering the same (to them silly)questions. During the times we were on the “lakes” we were dry ships except for the passengers who had a well stocked bar in their quarters. My only request to them that they did not drink outside the passenger quarters except they may have wine with their meals in the dining saloon. You can imagine how you would feel, on a warm summer day seeing someone drinking a cold beer and you were forbidden to partake.
Lakercapt

A J wrote:Hello Captain, here at Information Search there is a posting titled: Photo Collection. Garbear posted two pictures of the S.P. anchored in Duluth harbor dated 7/8/89. Were you master at that time?
As an aside to my other post confiming that I was on board, I had both the stern and bow anchors out to maintain position while waiting for berth to load. As were were cleared by customs and immigration the ships boat was used to allow crew members shore leave.
Lakercapt

A J wrote:Hello Captain, here at Information Search there is a posting titled: Photo Collection. Garbear posted two pictures of the S.P. anchored in Duluth harbor dated 7/8/89. Were you master at that time?
Yes I was and have that confimation in my discharge book.
At this time we were not under Canadian registry but I.O.M. and flew the Red Duster.