Keeping water out of the anchor pockets

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Lakercapt

Re: Keeping water out of the anchor pockets

Unread post by Lakercapt »

In winter freezing conditions it was usual to not heave the anchor right home and leave the windlass in gear.
When getting ready for port the stuffing bags plates etc. were removed and the power switched on.
The small heave on the anchor would break the ice and the anchors would be freed!!
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

garbear wrote:when I sailed you stuffed burlap bags, can't remember what they were filled with, into the hawse pipes. The bags had a rope around the top so you could tie them onto the anchor chains. Then there was a plate that fit over the hawse opening. There were bolts around the edge of the opening and the plate fit down over the bolts. You then tightened the plate down with wing nuts.
Just to add to my post. The bags didn't eliminate all the water coming up, but it was fairly minimal. If you didn't have the bags the windlass room would have been a lake in itself.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

when I sailed you stuffed burlap bags, can't remember what they were filled with, into the hawse pipes. The bags had a rope around the top so you could tie them onto the anchor chains. Then there was a plate that fit over the hawse opening. There were bolts around the edge of the opening and the plate fit down over the bolts. You then tightened the plate down with wing nuts.
jbenson

Keeping water out of the anchor pockets

Unread post by jbenson »

Saw a picture of the Blough today. She was loaded down to the anchor pockets. How do they keep water from coming in, or doesn't it matter?