Munson Status

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Duluthian

Re: Munson Status

Unread post by Duluthian »

This picture shows the new smokestack on the Munson (credit to Mr. Stephen Wolter). As Chris M. suggests below, the stack looks almost the same, but does appear to have some modification on the backside.
Attachments
Munson Smokestack.jpg
Chris M

Unread post by Chris M »

Kept the old stack but it has been modified quite a bit in the back
Duluth Guest

Unread post by Duluth Guest »

I am quite curious about the new version of Munson and was hoping to see her freshly painted up like the H.C. Jackson was when she came out of Fraser. Did they re-utilize the Munson's stack or give it a "fat-stack" like the Taylor and Calcite received after their dieselizations?
Duluthian

A new pic of the Munson posted this morning (credit to Mr. Stephen Wolter). No new paint yet. However, as Stephen said in his Facebook post, she still has three weeks in Sturgeon Bay, so anything's possible.
Attachments
John G. Munson.jpg
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

You don't see much of the Munson, but you can tell no new paint.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
Duluthian

garbear wrote:
Duluth Guest wrote:Was the diesel-ization project on the Munson temporarily stopped during the winter months so crews could get the work done on the other vessels that wintered at Sturgeon Bay? Watching Marine Traffic for her departure, it appears as though tugs have moved the Munson around a little bit but I haven't heard of her being scheduled for any Sea Trials yet. Kinda curious as to how she is going to look coming out after a year's worth of work. I assume she's getting a bead-blast and full re-paint as well?
Photo I saw of her on Facebook a couple days ago showed no new paint.
Would you mind sharing a link to the photo you saw on Facebook?

Unread post by Guest »

No new paint. Supposed to sail later in April.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Duluth Guest wrote:Was the diesel-ization project on the Munson temporarily stopped during the winter months so crews could get the work done on the other vessels that wintered at Sturgeon Bay? Watching Marine Traffic for her departure, it appears as though tugs have moved the Munson around a little bit but I haven't heard of her being scheduled for any Sea Trials yet. Kinda curious as to how she is going to look coming out after a year's worth of work. I assume she's getting a bead-blast and full re-paint as well?
Photo I saw of her on Facebook a couple days ago showed no new paint.
Duluth Guest

Munson Status

Unread post by Duluth Guest »

Was the diesel-ization project on the Munson temporarily stopped during the winter months so crews could get the work done on the other vessels that wintered at Sturgeon Bay? Watching Marine Traffic for her departure, it appears as though tugs have moved the Munson around a little bit but I haven't heard of her being scheduled for any Sea Trials yet. Kinda curious as to how she is going to look coming out after a year's worth of work. I assume she's getting a bead-blast and full re-paint as well?