Photo Collection

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Photo Collection

Unread post by Guest »

garbear wrote:A few more.
That must have been a short while before the Algosoo declined to join the search for the Fitzgerald. On the audio recordings of the Coast Guard search for the Fitz the Captain of the Algosoo stated they had cracked the kort nozzle and didn't want to risk more damage in the conditions. The Earl W. Ogelbay rolled in modest seas more than any other ship I ever worked on so I can't imagine the ride the guys on the Roesch had heading out into those seas!

Unread post by Guest »

Those two pictures of the Thayer and Roesch in Nov 1975 are also significant as they are very early views of these vessels following their acquisition by Oglebay Norton and subsequent placement into the Pringle Transit Company just months earlier.

Unread post by Guest »

These are treasures ! Please keep them coming.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

I know some of these photos seem like I'm far away from the boats, but my first camera was a Kodak Instamatic, so I couldn't be too close otherwise I couldn't get in as much as I did with some of the photos.
Attachments
E.M. Ford at Gray's Reef Light.
E.M. Ford at Gray's Reef Light.
Fit-out, Jones Island.
Fit-out, Jones Island.
Inbound at Detour Reef.
Inbound at Detour Reef.
Ryerson stack.
Ryerson stack.
Tanker Joseph Bigane with Munson unloading in the background at the Gary Works.
Tanker Joseph Bigane with Munson unloading in the background at the Gary Works.
Sewell Avery westbound.
Sewell Avery westbound.
Litton Industries stack.
Litton Industries stack.
Great Lakes Dredge and Dock tug Wm. A. Lydon at Conneaut.
Great Lakes Dredge and Dock tug Wm. A. Lydon at Conneaut.
Edward B. Greene upbound St. Mary's at Lime Island.
Edward B. Greene upbound St. Mary's at Lime Island.
Walter A. Sterling downbound St. Mary's River.
Walter A. Sterling downbound St. Mary's River.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

A few more.
Attachments
E.G. Grace downbound in the St. Mary's.
E.G. Grace downbound in the St. Mary's.
Clarke downbound in Lake Superior.
Clarke downbound in Lake Superior.
Presque Isle upbound in Whitefish
Presque Isle upbound in Whitefish
JMc

Unread post by JMc »

Thank you for posting all of these great photos!! Please keep them coming!!

Unread post by Guest »

Other than the Blough and Cort in 1975 the Algosoo would have been as big as they got and new, should have taken notice that she was anchored.

Unread post by Guest »

Wow incredible pictures your told how rough it was but when you see colour photos hours before the tragedy it puts it in a whole other context.

Unread post by Guest »

Very rare photos from November 10/11, 1975. Interesting to see some of the ships underway that a couple of hours later went to anchor in Whitefish Bay. You can see the winds blowing the top off the waves in the Algosoo photo.

Unread post by Guest »

Some great pictures of those vessels on the day of the Fitzgerald sinking. I believe those are the only ones I have seen of ships in that storm.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

A few more.
Attachments
M/V Algosoo West of Whitefish the afternoon of November 10, 1975.
M/V Algosoo West of Whitefish the afternoon of November 10, 1975.
M/V William R. Roesch upbound Whitefish Bay about 3 hours before the Fitzgerald went down. November 10, 1975.
M/V William R. Roesch upbound Whitefish Bay about 3 hours before the Fitzgerald went down. November 10, 1975.
M/V Paul Thayer anchored lower St. Mary's for storm warnings. November 11, 1975.
M/V Paul Thayer anchored lower St. Mary's for storm warnings. November 11, 1975.
Str. Phillip D. Block anchored lower St. Mary's for storm warnings. November 11, 1975.
Str. Phillip D. Block anchored lower St. Mary's for storm warnings. November 11, 1975.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

A few more photos.
Attachments
M/V W.W. Holloway inbound Calumet Harbor. Probably to load coal. We were anchored in Calumet Harbor waiting for the Presque Isle to depart the USS South Works.
M/V W.W. Holloway inbound Calumet Harbor. Probably to load coal. We were anchored in Calumet Harbor waiting for the Presque Isle to depart the USS South Works.
Leon Falk Jr. loading at West of #6 Missabe, Duluth. Bumboat Marine Trader along side.
Leon Falk Jr. loading at West of #6 Missabe, Duluth. Bumboat Marine Trader along side.
Str. International outbound Calumet Harbor from Wisconsin Steel.
Str. International outbound Calumet Harbor from Wisconsin Steel.
Str. Thomas Wilson upbound on Lake Superior.
Str. Thomas Wilson upbound on Lake Superior.

Unread post by Guest »

garbear wrote:I've got a question. On some of the photos I try to post I get the message- " The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 300 KiB."
The photo is the same size as the other ones of posted, but there have been about 4 I haven't been able to post. Why can't I post? Thanks.
A sampling of some of your recent photos indicates they range in size from 216.24 KiB to 269.85 KiB, so all your photos are obviously not the same FILE SIZE, even if the originally scanned image area/size was the same for all of them.

The size of the compressed .JPG picture file your scanner program makes will vary with image content. A shot containing less detailed areas like a lot of water and sky will produce a smaller file size, whereas a shot with a lot detail like a ship or Hulett will have a bigger end file size even if the picture was originally the same size (in inches) as all the others.

So, unless you looked at the actual end result file sizes from the program, I suspect some did indeed creep past the 300 KiB limit. The solution is to crop the images or downsample them (reduce the scanning resolution or .JPG image creation "quality level". You can also use a free image viewing/editing program like the highly regarded IrfanView to downsample for "web publication". I often have to do that for the pictures I post here.
Rob W

Unread post by Rob W »

In the Beeghly pic it looks as though a Nike missile is rising behind the vessel! Obviously not
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

I've got a question. On some of the photos I try to post I get the message- " The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 300 KiB."
The photo is the same size as the other ones of posted, but there have been about 4 I haven't been able to post. Why can't I post? Thanks.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

Great pictures of the Charles M. White and the Leon Falk Jr. That triple deck aftercabin on the Falk is something to see. I was in that aftercabin once and if I remember it had a big open space like a dunnage room.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Canadoc wrote:Really appreciate your sharing your photos with us. It is great to see the ships that were in the trade back when I was sailing with Patersons...fabulous memories ! Thanks
I'll make sure I include what photos I have of the Paterson fleet.

Unread post by Guest »

garbear wrote:
Ray wrote:Any idea why the unloading boom on the J. Burton Ayers is elevated like that? Seems like a really odd position for the boom while underway.
The only thing I ever thought was they were taking off the hatches. Maybe someone else would have a better answer.

From the position of the deck crane I would agree that the crew was doing some work involving the hatches up forward. I have seen several instances of ships moving in the St. Clair River with the booms raised but in this shot it appears that the Ayers has it boom raised to its full extent which seems unusual. Although the weight of the boom is insignificant compared to the tonnage of the vessel, I wonder if this configuration would effect its metacentric height?
Canadoc

Unread post by Canadoc »

Really appreciate your sharing your photos with us. It is great to see the ships that were in the trade back when I was sailing with Patersons....fabulous memories ! Thanks
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

A couple photos of the Joseph H. Thompson. I was just getting ready to turn in for the night when I saw her off to our starboard. I had looked out my porthole a few minutes earlier and saw nothing. We were downbound Lake Superior in the Marquette area, so I figured she had loaded in Marquette.
Attachments
First time I saw her that evening.
First time I saw her that evening.
Didn't take her long to go by us.
Didn't take her long to go by us.