Return to Great Lakes & Seaway Shipping Great Lakes & Seaway Shipping Online
Discussion Boards
Please click to visit our sponsor
It is currently February 20, 2018, 6:22 am

FAQ | Instructions | Help
Search for:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 535 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Photo Collection
Unread postPosted: July 21, 2017, 2:06 am 

That picture during the grain handlers strike must have been pretty early on, or a very narrow shot. Somewhere buried away I have an article from the Minneapolis Tribune (Pre Star Tribune days) with a picture showing something over 30 ships at anchor out in the lake toward the end of the strike.

Any idea which Bethlehem Steel boat that is coming in in that picture?

Report this post
Unread postPosted: July 21, 2017, 2:01 am 

Dang, I sure miss the Ford and Cleveland Cliffs Fleets!

Report this post
Unread postPosted: July 21, 2017, 1:00 am 
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
I still think it could be 1976-77. Could the Joseph S. Young be operating on the coal run from Toledo to Detroit, considering that only she and the Hutchinson are discharging water through overboard discharges?

Perhaps Joseph S. Young temporarily layed up at Ecorse for repairs. It was a tough winter for ships on the coal run that year. (of course, as it was in other areas of the lakes, too)

I'm left scratching my head on this one. I do know the Young was laid-up for the final time in 1977 in Toledo, so this cannot be 1977-78.

I think the photo of the Townsend in bicentennial colors was taken right after I took the Nicholson shot.

Second quote was mine.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: July 20, 2017, 8:23 pm 
Guest wrote:
I still think it could be 1976-77. Could the Joseph S. Young be operating on the coal run from Toledo to Detroit, considering that only she and the Hutchinson are discharging water through overboard discharges?

Perhaps Joseph S. Young temporarily layed up at Ecorse for repairs. It was a tough winter for ships on the coal run that year. (of course, as it was in other areas of the lakes, too)

I'm left scratching my head on this one. I do know the Young was laid-up for the final time in 1977 in Toledo, so this cannot be 1977-78.

I think the photo of the Townsend in bicentennial colors was taken right after I took the Nicholson shot.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: July 20, 2017, 8:19 pm 
I think I'll be going out of sequence with my photos. I think there might be an album or two at my ex-wife's. I'll have to get my son to look around to see what he can find. Here are a few more photos.

Attachments:
File comment: William Clay Ford outbound Duluth.
img208.jpg
img208.jpg [ 264.9 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]
File comment: Ships anchored during the grain handlers strike, Twin Ports.
img205 (2).jpg
img205 (2).jpg [ 232.24 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]
File comment: M/V Federal Hudson passing the Watson near Sleeping Bear Dunes.
img207 (2).jpg
img207 (2).jpg [ 185.21 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]
File comment: Lewis Wilson Foy upbound Whitefish Bay.
img212.jpg
img212.jpg [ 198.23 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]
File comment: Edwin H. Gott at the D.M. & I.R. ore docks, Two Harbors.
img209 (2).jpg
img209 (2).jpg [ 169.56 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]
File comment: Algobay inbound Algoma Steel, Soo, ON.
img210.jpg
img210.jpg [ 246.63 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]
File comment: Downbound Lake Huron.
img211 (2).jpg
img211 (2).jpg [ 189.24 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]
File comment: Upbound near Lime Island.
img203 (2).jpg
img203 (2).jpg [ 267.18 KiB | Viewed 877 times ]
Report this post

Unread postPosted: July 20, 2017, 5:36 pm 

Report this post

Unread postPosted: July 20, 2017, 12:51 pm 
It's no later than '78. I didn't date the photos, but I know most of the photos in that particular album are from '76/'77. Not much help. But I know I was on the Clarke when I took the photos in that album, and my last yr. on her was '78, then '79 on the Watson.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: July 20, 2017, 11:01 am 

Another thought or two. The E. T. Weir was sold to Columbia in 1978. She is at the head of the slip, so it is no later than '78.
The Thompson also spent another winter layup away from Ecorse in Lorain, besides the Cleveland layup, addition of the bow thruster. This was the winter the initial Coast Guard report came out which said the Fitzgerald sunk because of loose fitting hatch covers. So that spring a lot of work was done on the clamps, covers and combings. In Lorain the Thompson and a Cliffs C4 had to undergo an inspection from the cargo hold by the USCG -no light showing- before they could sail. Could our picture be 77-78? Mike

Report this post
Unread postPosted: July 19, 2017, 2:42 pm 

For color corrections I use a program called IrfanView, it's free & I am sure there are a lot of others out there. Here is a corrected picture of the ST Crapo.

Attachments:
Clipboard06.jpg
Clipboard06.jpg [ 13.54 KiB | Viewed 1204 times ]
Report this post
Unread postPosted: July 19, 2017, 8:35 am 
These photos are awesome, but the next step that awaits you is to do some color/contrast correction and some clean up of the photos. I know that is time consuming and a challenge. As an example, I took the one today of the Calloway and change it. It shows what you can do with these. But keep them coming!!

Attachments:
img198.jpg
img198.jpg [ 284.94 KiB | Viewed 1274 times ]
Report this post

Unread postPosted: July 18, 2017, 9:45 pm 
A few more to end the night.

Attachments:
File comment: Stopped for the night in northern Lake Michigan because of ice and fog.
img190.jpg
img190.jpg [ 251.81 KiB | Viewed 1409 times ]
File comment: Munson and S.T. Crapo stopped in the fog and ice in northern Lake Michigan.
img199.jpg
img199.jpg [ 192.75 KiB | Viewed 1409 times ]
File comment: Cason J. Callaway stopped for the night in the fog and ice in northern Lake Michigan.
img198.jpg
img198.jpg [ 191.66 KiB | Viewed 1409 times ]
File comment: Richard J. Reiss outbound Ludington after loading at the Sand Products dock.
img195.jpg
img195.jpg [ 253.45 KiB | Viewed 1409 times ]
Report this post

Unread postPosted: July 18, 2017, 9:17 pm 
A couple more things Mr. Lafferty, the aft mast on the Kling was taller in proportion to the smokestack, the Young's unloading boom came up to a peak where the lift cables attached to it. Looking close at the picture, the top slope of the boom can be seen, a configuration the Kling didn't have.

Alex

Report this post

Unread postPosted: July 18, 2017, 8:35 pm 

Quote:
The only two self-unloaders laid-up in Ecorse over the winter of 1976-77 was the John T. Hutchinson and John A. Kling.

I saw that, too, in my old Scanner, but are we sure it is 1976-77? The Kling's funnel, after Dieselization, was somewhat raked and its bridge wings not quite as wide as in the photograph. More importantly, If you look very closely, it appears that the main deck is enclosed aft, as with the Joseph S. Young (done after its repowering in 1959 at Cleveland by Rud Machine), with the name very prominent on the side.

Attachments:
D P Thompson aft.png
D P Thompson aft.png [ 74.64 KiB | Viewed 1345 times ]
Report this post
Unread postPosted: July 18, 2017, 8:18 pm 
Nope. Not buying it. It's not the Kling, there is an error in that publication.

Look closely you can see the spar deck level of stern cabins on the starboard side have been reconstructed to be enclosed. This never happened on the Kling but it did happen on the Young. Photos of the Kling being scrapped illustrate this quite clearly.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: July 18, 2017, 5:44 pm 
The only two self-unloaders laid-up in Ecorse over the winter of 1976-77 was the John T. Hutchinson and John A. Kling.

http://www.maritimehistoryofthegreatlak . sp?ID=s008

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 535 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 36  Next