Fort Chambly

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Fort Chambly

Unread post by Guest »

The Fort St. Louis was laid-up at Hamilton on December 16, 1981.

She was subsequently towed to Montreal for a celebration of the 350th anniversary of that city. Finally, she was towed to Columbia in 1993 for dismantling
rh

Unread post by rh »

My reference was to the end of service in the package trade.

Was the Fort St Louis active on the Lakes after the Chambly and Henry were scrapped? My impression was the St Louis was mostly on coastal trade in the Maritimes.
Guest in Toledo

Unread post by Guest in Toledo »

Fort St. Louis was sold off lakes in 1976. Broken up in 1994 at Mamonal (Cartagena, Columbia) as Christos P
Old sailer

Unread post by Old sailer »

Anyone know what happened to the Fort St Louis.
Dave2

Unread post by Dave2 »

There is still the English River, kind of forget what happened to the French River.

Unread post by Guest »

Don't forget the ex CSL package freighter Fort William is still sailing the lakes today as the converted cement carrier Stephen B Roman, now managed by McKeil Marine Ltd.

The outlines of her welded shut side loading access ports are still quite visible under layers of paint.
rh

Unread post by rh »

Thanks for the info and the link. I see that the Fort Henry was scrapped at about the same time so I assume they were the last of the CSL package freighters on the Lakes.
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

rh

Fort Chambly

Unread post by rh »

I am curious about the disposition of the CSL package freighter Fort Chambly. I believe it was in service through the late 1980s and was one of the last package freighters.

A Google search has several AIS and maritime info sites showing it is still in Canadian registry which I find hard to believe.