Philip R Clark

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Rob W

Re: Philip R Clark

Unread post by Rob W »

Great explanation guest!!

Unread post by Guest »

Duluthian wrote:
Houseflag wrote:Pellet fines.
Please forgive my ignorance, but what are pellet fines and what are they used for?
Pellet fines are bits and pieces (mainly fine gritty material) that wears off iron pellets when they're handled during loading/unloading/stockpiling. Even though it's iron bearing, this material is not suitable for use in the blast furnace because it is too light and fine and would be blown up through the furnace and into the dust catching system. Instead, pellet fines are mixed with coke fines and fired in a sinter plant which fuses these materials into chunks which become a suitable burden for the blast furnace in terms of consistent weight and size.
Duluthian

Unread post by Duluthian »

Houseflag wrote:Pellet fines.
Please forgive my ignorance, but what are pellet fines and what are they used for?
Houseflag

Unread post by Houseflag »

Pellet fines.

Unread post by Guest »

Duluthian wrote:Any idea what cargo the Clarke would be carrying from Zug to Gary? AIS has a Gary destination and her past track shows that she is coming from Zug. Is it typical for lake freighters to carry cargoes between two steel mills?
Could be slag, coke, coke breeze, pellet fines, millscale. These are all by-products that can be produced at one mill and used at another depending on whether the facilities are available to use them.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Duluthian wrote:Any idea what cargo the Clarke would be carrying from Zug to Gary? AIS has a Gary destination and her past track shows that she is coming from Zug. Is it typical for lake freighters to carry cargoes between two steel mills?
Probably slag or coke.
Duluthian

Unread post by Duluthian »

Any idea what cargo the Clarke would be carrying from Zug to Gary? AIS has a Gary destination and her past track shows that she is coming from Zug. Is it typical for lake freighters to carry cargoes between two steel mills?
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

If memory serves, a crewmember posted on Facebook a few days ago that the problem was with the unloading belt. So they may have gone out into the lake to clean the belt/holds before repairs were started.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

I would doubt that it's steel work. She was East of the Apostle's when she turned around. I'd guess something in the engine room. Maybe a blown steam line. When I was on her in, probably 73, we blew a steam line after we departed Duluth. Turned around and spent 3-4 getting it repaired.
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

Sounds to me that after unloading they went out on the lake to check an engine room problem. verified it and came back in to get it fixed.
Spanky

Unread post by Spanky »

Sounds like some serious steel work
DanR

Unread post by DanR »

Still there this afternoon. They have a truck crane positioned by the stern area.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Brandon wrote:Anyone know why the Clark departed Duluth today got a few hours out, turned around and is now almost back?
AIS shows the Clarke in the shipyard. Supposedly she was to load
at BNSF after discharging her stone cargo, but departed light.
Brandon

Philip R Clark

Unread post by Brandon »

Anyone know why the Clark departed Duluth today got a few hours out, turned around and is now almost back?