Algoma Strongfield

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
garbear

Re: Algoma Strongfield

Unread post by garbear »

Denny wrote:Does anyone have more photos that they can post of her on any of the shipping websites? I've seen 6 of them on ship spotting.com and three on the KYS Facebook page but, only one stern shot so far of her on the Marine Traffic website. The ones that Marc Piche took are both on the KYS Facebook page and Ship Spotting. I would've thought the sites would have more photos of her? Perhaps maybe once she has departed Hamilton and is in the Welland and heads to the Upper Great Lakes soon. Looking forward to seeing more photos of her and seeing in person myself soon. Please keep the photos along with any and all updates of her coming. Thanks in advance for all of your help.
I'm hoping with all the ore being hauled from the Twin Ports/Two Harbors this year by Algoma boats, we'll see her here on her first trip to Lake Superior.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Does anyone have more photos that they can post of her on any of the shipping websites? I've seen 6 of them on ship spotting.com and three on the KYS Facebook page but, only one stern shot so far of her on the Marine Traffic website. The ones that Marc Piche took are both on the KYS Facebook page and Ship Spotting. I would've thought the sites would have more photos of her? Perhaps maybe once she has departed Hamilton and is in the Welland and heads to the Upper Great Lakes soon. Looking forward to seeing more photos of her and seeing in person myself soon. Please keep the photos along with any and all updates of her coming. Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks for that update Sam it is much appreciated. Darn it then that doesn't sound promising then for next week for me that is when she departs Hamilton for the Upper Lakes. I sincerely hope and pray she is Not up next Tuesday on the rivers as I have to go and see a doctor next Tuesday and there is absolutely No way that I can get out of this one as much I'd like to! So hopefully when she leaves Hamilton and heads this way, she will be up here then on either Wednesday or Thursday of next week. I guess we will just have to wait and see how it goes as far as when she will be here next week. Again, thanks for that update Sam as I appreciate that!
Sam

Unread post by Sam »

The Algoma Strongfield will be in Hamilton on the 6th of June. She will have a short lay-up of one week to remove the "Great Walls of China" the 6 foot walls that was added to her deck for the crossing.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks everyone for helping me out on the Algoma Strongfield as I have been tracking her every move so far through the Seaway on her first trip to Hamilton. Can't wait to see and photograph her for myself and hoping beyond hope that she makes a daylight transit up the St. Clair River for this Saturday! Can't go out to the river for Friday but, if she will be up this Saturday then I will be there just as long as it doesn't rain I hope. 3 Long and 2 Short to the crew and captain of the Algoma Strongfield and have a good and safe first trip and journey. Welcome home as well and a job well done!
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Some great shots of the Algoma Strongfield on the Photos/Videos of Fans of KYS Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 605&type=3
Port Colborne

Unread post by Port Colborne »

Marine traffic shows her underway, due Hamilton June 6-2017
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Anyone know or hear where they are headed to after they load in Pointe Noire? I assume at some point possibly that they may go to Hamilton and unload but, not sure if this load from Pointe Noire is headed there or not? There is nothing mentioned so far on the Port of Hamilton's website as far as her arriving there anytime soon to unload any ore cargoes. Any information is appreciated. Thank You.
Mac Mackay

Unread post by Mac Mackay »

Algoma Strongfield's Canadian registration popped up this morning while I was looking at the Transport Canada web site. This was about Eastern Time.
So the ship is now Canadian - presumably while tied up in Pointe-Noire. This means a Canadian crew must be there to take over the ship.
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

there is a ferry that crosses long island sound that is us registered us crew but the vessel was owned by northumberland ferries from pei and built in pictou ns
It took, literally, an Act of Congress in 1998 to get the Prince Nova, now the Susan Anne, on Long Island Sound, through a concerted effort by the Connecticut state government and its congressional contingent. As I recall the state wanted improved ferry service to New York but no existing American ferries were available or suitable and the cost to build was prohibitive, or so was the argument. The only stipulation was that either three times the vessel's purchase price or $4.5 million, whichever was greater, had to be spent in an American shipyard to rebuild the vessel. The Wronowski family owns Cross Sound Ferry and Thames Shipbuilding, the yard that did that work. The Wronowski family was very grateful!
Attachments
Wronowksi.png
ivan

Unread post by ivan »

dont be too quick to say that there is a ferry that crosses long island sound that is us registered us crew but the vessel was owned by northumberland ferries from pei and built in pictou ns it was bought used to cross long island sound so much for the untouchable jones act

Unread post by Guest »

ashland69 wrote:As I understand it, nothing built offshore can be registered in the US. The vessel must be US-built, period. It's different in Canada where new boats are being built offshore, i.e. Algoma Equinox, Baie St. Paul, etc. In all probably, if the Strongfield is currently foreign-crewed, I think the physical and legal changeover will place upon arrival in Canada.
U.S. vessels can be built offshore and flagged here, however, that only makes them eligible to operate in the international trade as they are not Jones Act compliant.
ashland69

Unread post by ashland69 »

As I understand it, nothing built offshore can be registered in the US. The vessel must be US-built, period. It's different in Canada where new boats are being built offshore, i.e. Algoma Equinox, Baie St. Paul, etc. In all probably, if the Strongfield is currently foreign-crewed, I think the physical and legal changeover will place upon arrival in Canada.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I would almost have to believe that the official "handing off of the vessel from a foreign crew to a Canadian crew and to Algoma will probably take place in Montreal." Not sure how it works as far as in Canada but at least with the Jones Act if I am understanding it the right way, since it is foreign registered they could not load then in Canada and then go to another Canada port and unload correct? Like I said earlier, not sure how it works in Canada but at least with the Jones Act I think that is how it works for U.S. vessels as far as I know. Another reason I think that change of registry and crew will be in Montreal is so that the deck stiffeners or whatever those things are called, probably will be removed and taken off.

Unread post by Guest »

Any body know where the re flagging going to be?

Unread post by Guest »

Is there still a foreign crew on board?
If so wonder when they will hand off to a Algoma crew?
Just curious. Thanks
Howie Wilcox

Unread post by Howie Wilcox »

According to the Sept Iles ship schedule she is due at Pointe Noise tomorrow at 07:00 to load.
algowest

Unread post by algowest »

Yes, Algoma Strongfield has hull strengthened with deck stiffeners visible midship port and starboard. Same as othe Equinox class ships

Algoma Strongfield

Unread post by Guest »

The recent China-built CSL S/U's carried ballast stone on their journey to the GL's. I think some of the new Algoma bulkers had extra steel added for strength while on the ocean. Did the Strongfield have any of these features ? TIA