Algoma Strongfield

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
ivan

Re: Algoma Strongfield

Unread post by ivan »

dont be too quick to say that there is a ferry that crosses long island sound that is us registered us crew but the vessel was owned by northumberland ferries from pei and built in pictou ns it was bought used to cross long island sound so much for the untouchable jones act

Unread post by Guest »

ashland69 wrote:As I understand it, nothing built offshore can be registered in the US. The vessel must be US-built, period. It's different in Canada where new boats are being built offshore, i.e. Algoma Equinox, Baie St. Paul, etc. In all probably, if the Strongfield is currently foreign-crewed, I think the physical and legal changeover will place upon arrival in Canada.
U.S. vessels can be built offshore and flagged here, however, that only makes them eligible to operate in the international trade as they are not Jones Act compliant.
ashland69

Unread post by ashland69 »

As I understand it, nothing built offshore can be registered in the US. The vessel must be US-built, period. It's different in Canada where new boats are being built offshore, i.e. Algoma Equinox, Baie St. Paul, etc. In all probably, if the Strongfield is currently foreign-crewed, I think the physical and legal changeover will place upon arrival in Canada.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I would almost have to believe that the official "handing off of the vessel from a foreign crew to a Canadian crew and to Algoma will probably take place in Montreal." Not sure how it works as far as in Canada but at least with the Jones Act if I am understanding it the right way, since it is foreign registered they could not load then in Canada and then go to another Canada port and unload correct? Like I said earlier, not sure how it works in Canada but at least with the Jones Act I think that is how it works for U.S. vessels as far as I know. Another reason I think that change of registry and crew will be in Montreal is so that the deck stiffeners or whatever those things are called, probably will be removed and taken off.

Unread post by Guest »

Any body know where the re flagging going to be?

Unread post by Guest »

Is there still a foreign crew on board?
If so wonder when they will hand off to a Algoma crew?
Just curious. Thanks
Howie Wilcox

Unread post by Howie Wilcox »

According to the Sept Iles ship schedule she is due at Pointe Noise tomorrow at 07:00 to load.
algowest

Unread post by algowest »

Yes, Algoma Strongfield has hull strengthened with deck stiffeners visible midship port and starboard. Same as othe Equinox class ships

Algoma Strongfield

Unread post by Guest »

The recent China-built CSL S/U's carried ballast stone on their journey to the GL's. I think some of the new Algoma bulkers had extra steel added for strength while on the ocean. Did the Strongfield have any of these features ? TIA