Port Weller Drydock

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
NiagaraMike

Re: Port Weller Drydock

Unread post by NiagaraMike »

I went by PWDD today and there was no sign of life.
No new visible equipment and not a soul or sign to be seem

I heard there was quite a battle going on between Heddle and the folks from Nova Scotia. Its a bit premature to ordain Heddle as the new operators.
wlbblw

Unread post by wlbblw »

They chose Port Weller because the water level there can be adjusted in that reach of the canal to get her over the sills. At Erie, it can be done, but the costs are much higher because special proceedures & specialized equipment would have to be done to get her in & on the blocks.

She will be dropping the barge at Erie & then heading over soon.
NiagaraMike

Seems strange there has been no local announcement of this transaction.
At one point they were competing for PWD with a Nova Scotia Co.
I did not see any Heddle labelled equipment or vehicles when I went by the other day. ??????

Unread post by Guest »

The Presque Isle was to be built for Litton's subsidiary Wilson Marine, but when the later lost the Republic ore-float to Cleveland-Cliffs in 1970, Litton soured on the Great Lakes shipping industry - the lack of orders for thousand footers from other vessel operators didn't help either.

For whatever reason - probably technical - Litton didn't build the drydock at Erie Marine deep enough for a deep-draft tug like the Presque Isle to pass over the drydock sill.

The drydock at American Shipbuilding's Lorain yard only had a depth of 21-feet over the sill.

I've only known the tug Presque Isle to use the drydock at Port Weller for out of water inspections - the bridge wings are removed before she heads to the Welland Canal.
GuestNia

Unread post by GuestNia »

The former Port Weller Dry Dock property has now been leased by Heddle Marine on a long term basis from the Seaway. Their crew is setting up for operations.
Bruno

Unread post by Bruno »

The Champlain dry dock is full et the moment at Davie, Louis S. St-Laurent outward, and Resolve AIR for the Navy inward.

Unread post by Guest »

Does anyone have any insight into this situation concerning the limited dry docks available to service this tug? It seems strange that Litton would have designed the tug/barge unit it without the ability to dry dock the tug at Erie and instead to rely upon a Canadian shipyard. Is this due to the closure of some of the other yards since the construction of this vessel in 1973 such as American Ship Building?

Wasn't the Presque Isle originally envisioned for Litton's Wilson Transit Company at least in its conceptual form. I thought I came across an account of the company's plan to use a series of tug/barges to carry raw materials from the upper lakes to the lower lakes. If my memory is correct, I seem to remember that the tugs were to have the capability to leave their loaded barges at their destination and attach to an empty barge to return up the lakes for another load to minimize downtime.
Rob W

Unread post by Rob W »

Still is unless she goes to Davie. The sill depths were posted and there are only two, Davie and PWDD

Unread post by guest »

This used to be the only drydock it could use
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Not sure when Mike but, talk for weeks mentioned the Presque Isle tug at some point was headed to the Port Weller Drydock. Have not heard anything more on this but, I would say it might be very soon?
NiagaraMike

Port Weller Drydock

I went by PWD today and there was two cranes working at the north(deep) dock, apparently prepping blocks for a ship to rest on.
Anyone know if its the Presque Isle tug or something else???