Joe Block in Calcite a first?

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: Joe Block in Calcite a first?

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks for all of the replies and updates everyone. So I guess the Block has been in Calcite before but it has been a very long time at least to the last time she was there. As one person put it, it was in 2008 or 2009 that she was in there doing test loads as far as it was mixing loads with Port Inland. Prior to that I guess another poster said it was in the early 1990s that they were there at one time.

Unread post by Guest »

In 08 or 09 the Joe block made two trips into Roger city to load they were test loads mixing stone with port inland

Unread post by Guest »

The block and Sykes were regulars at the escanaba dock for years, with that dock closing, I am sure the owners are trying to find alternative business for them to keep them out of the scrapyard.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Denny wrote:Heads up all you boatnerds out there as this weekend you will be in for a very rare treat in Calcite at the loading docks. On Saturday the Joseph L. Block is expected to arrive in the late afternoon to load at the South Dock. Ahead of them though and also loading at the South Dock is the American Mariner. The point is I am thinking this may be a first ever visit to Calcite by the Joseph L. Block as I don't ever recall of her loading there before as usually she will go to Port Inland and Cedarville? With the American Mariner ahead of her though on Saturday, surely she will be delayed most likely and will have to anchor off to await the dock. Will proably not get into the dock until either late Saturday or Sunday to load and be out sometime on Sunday. Unless somebody already knows, should be interesting to see where she takes that stone cargo to and unload it at? Hopefully she will make a run down the St. Clair River with it but, weather forecast for Sunday not looking good with rain in the forecast. Hopefully if she comes down here it will be on Monday.
duluthboats.com has her in Two Harbors on Tuesday. No mention of discharging her stone cargo here in the Twin Ports. We shall see.

Unread post by Guest »

I have a shot of her loading at the South dock alongside the Courtney Burton dated 1991. She's been there before.
Denny

Joe Block in Calcite a first?

Unread post by Denny »

Heads up all you boatnerds out there as this weekend you will be in for a very rare treat in Calcite at the loading docks. On Saturday the Joseph L. Block is expected to arrive in the late afternoon to load at the South Dock. Ahead of them though and also loading at the South Dock is the American Mariner. The point is I am thinking this may be a first ever visit to Calcite by the Joseph L. Block as I don't ever recall of her loading there before as usually she will go to Port Inland and Cedarville? With the American Mariner ahead of her though on Saturday, surely she will be delayed most likely and will have to anchor off to await the dock. Will proably not get into the dock until either late Saturday or Sunday to load and be out sometime on Sunday. Unless somebody already knows, should be interesting to see where she takes that stone cargo to and unload it at? Hopefully she will make a run down the St. Clair River with it but, weather forecast for Sunday not looking good with rain in the forecast. Hopefully if she comes down here it will be on Monday.