Visiting toledo

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Visiting toledo

Unread post by Guest »

Thanks again for all the help. Toured the museum and ship today. Even bought the current KYS which i habent had 1 for about 30 years!

Unread post by Guest »

With the addition of Sputnik(C&O #4 coal loader in 1959, C & O had 4 coal loaders. Sputnik and 3 Brownhoist coal loaders built in the 1930's. C & O also had 3 17ton Hulett order unloaders. Toledo Lake Front docks had 2 Heyl and Patterson coal loaders and 1 Wellman Seaver Morgan coal loader. In addition, TLF had 2 20ton and 2 17ton Hulett ore unloaders. Interlake Iron had 3 5 ton Hoover & Mason ore unloaders. This info is from the 1969 edition of Greenwood's Guide to Great Lakes Shipping. Hope this clears up any confusion.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Thanks folks. Helpful info. Went over the Maumee bridge today and managed to see something tied up nut can't make out name in pic. Unsure how to post pic. Orange bottom half of hull. Green top half. Looks about 600 feet. Black stack with what looks like a diamond shapes logo. Bow towards bridge.

That would be the Schoonmaker, the museum ship. If you get a chance tour that as well as the museum right where the ship is tied up.
Guest in Toledo

Unread post by Guest in Toledo »

Col James M Schoonmaker museum ship at the National Museum of the Great Lakes.
Attachments
All-ready.jpg

Unread post by Guest »

Thanks folks. Helpful info. Went over the Maumee bridge today and managed to see something tied up nut can't make out name in pic. Unsure how to post pic. Orange bottom half of hull. Green top half. Looks about 600 feet. Black stack with what looks like a diamond shapes logo. Bow towards bridge.
Wheelsman

Unread post by Wheelsman »

clarkjol is correct on the grain docks further upriver. It occurred to me as I was reading his post that at one point on the east bank of the river which I think is still Front St, near Miami St?, there's a staging lot on the right for incoming grain truck deliveries that is elevated on the edge of the river, and if this lot isn't busy, you can pull in there and get a pretty good view of the grain docks.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest in Toledo wrote:A few decades ago, Toledo was the largest coal shipping port in the world. @ 6 coal loaders, 2 Hullet ore unloaders, @ 6 oil company docks, 3 grain docks, a cement dock, a pig iron foundry dock, a seaway dock for the salties, a sandsucker dock for the glass industry, and the shipyard that brought many ships into Toledo daily. Today, 3 or 4 ships arriving is a good day in the port. Because of Homeland Security and private property, Toledo does not have any public areas that are close enough to view the ship activity. And, Toledo doesn’t have a port webcam and many ships arrive at night time. The good news for your Toledo visit is the National Museum of the Great Lakes is located here with the Col James M Schoonmaker museum ship. If you have never been aboard a laker, this is a must visit to see and put your hands on everything that comes with signing up for work on a laker. The ship’s guides are volunteers, who have good stories themselves, who can show you a few things most visitors don’t see if you just ask a few questions. Toledo has two Maumee River tour boats that offer views and photo ops for the shipping in Toledo. You will see lakers on these boat tours. They may not be working ships you want to see. But, they are ships, with histories, in long-term lay-up awaiting their final disposition. They are the American Valor, Manistee, and Sarah Spenser & tug. With the Schoonmaker museum ship and the St Clair fitting out for the 2017 season, you will see at least 5 lakers on a river tour. The Toledo Zoo, Art Museum, Maumee Bay State Park, a walleye fishing charter, and Mudhens Baseball are all great places for a one week visit. I have a few links below for the National Museum of the Great Lakes, our Toledo newspaper article for the boat tours, and the boat tour websites. Thank You for visiting Toledo.
The National Museum of the Great Lakes… http://www.inlandseas.org
THE BLADE article for river tours on 06/04/2017… http://www.toledoblade.com/business/201 ... oledo.html
Maritime River Tours...http://www.maritimerivertours.com/
The Sandpiper … https://www.sandpiperboat.com/

I was looking at a listing of Hullett unloaders in Toledo and I count 7, not 2 unloaders. 2 docks with 2 each and 1 dock with 3.
clarkjol

Unread post by clarkjol »

During grain season, boats loading grain at the Andersons or Cargill at the west end of the Maumee are very easy to see at the elevators and along the Maumee itself when the boats are going up river or down river to Lake Erie. Get some cement action once in a while downtown. The previous posters are referring to the coal & stone & ore docks (TORCO) that CSX owns and nobody goes in there to "watch" lakers. I work for CSX and not allowed in, with employee badge. "Cameras" are all over the docks and yards.
Guest in Toledo

Unread post by Guest in Toledo »

A few decades ago, Toledo was the largest coal shipping port in the world. @ 6 coal loaders, 2 Hullet ore unloaders, @ 6 oil company docks, 3 grain docks, a cement dock, a pig iron foundry dock, a seaway dock for the salties, a sandsucker dock for the glass industry, and the shipyard that brought many ships into Toledo daily. Today, 3 or 4 ships arriving is a good day in the port. Because of Homeland Security and private property, Toledo does not have any public areas that are close enough to view the ship activity. And, Toledo doesn’t have a port webcam and many ships arrive at night time. The good news for your Toledo visit is the National Museum of the Great Lakes is located here with the Col James M Schoonmaker museum ship. If you have never been aboard a laker, this is a must visit to see and put your hands on everything that comes with signing up for work on a laker. The ship’s guides are volunteers, who have good stories themselves, who can show you a few things most visitors don’t see if you just ask a few questions. Toledo has two Maumee River tour boats that offer views and photo ops for the shipping in Toledo. You will see lakers on these boat tours. They may not be working ships you want to see. But, they are ships, with histories, in long-term lay-up awaiting their final disposition. They are the American Valor, Manistee, and Sarah Spenser & tug. With the Schoonmaker museum ship and the St Clair fitting out for the 2017 season, you will see at least 5 lakers on a river tour. The Toledo Zoo, Art Museum, Maumee Bay State Park, a walleye fishing charter, and Mudhens Baseball are all great places for a one week visit. I have a few links below for the National Museum of the Great Lakes, our Toledo newspaper article for the boat tours, and the boat tour websites. Thank You for visiting Toledo.
The National Museum of the Great Lakes… http://www.inlandseas.org
THE BLADE article for river tours on 06/04/2017… http://www.toledoblade.com/business/201 ... oledo.html
Maritime River Tours...http://www.maritimerivertours.com/
The Sandpiper … https://www.sandpiperboat.com/
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

You can check out my Port Reports from time to time on the News portion of this website as I will sometimes update with the Toledo portion and will list vessel ETAs for both the Coal and Ore Docks in Toledo along with anything that may bring stone in as well to the port. Also check out the boatnerd ais portion of this website along with the Marine Traffic website for anything that might be going to Toledo as well. Good Luck and hope that my information helps out.
Wheelsman

Unread post by Wheelsman »

Since Toledo is such a lousy viewing port, unless you have a boat, I highly recommend visiting the SCHOONMAKER (ex-BOYER) museum ship at the Maritime Museum. Up and down Front St you'll get glimpses of several docks, including the shipyard, but nothing up close you can stop and look at. Forget CSX and Torco unless you have a TWIC card. If you visit the CG station or the park nearby, across the river, you'll get a distant view of these. Maybe someone can provide more specifics. Oh, and don't go by Tony Packo's at Front and Consaul without stopping in; great history and food, will make it a memorable visit.

Visiting toledo

Unread post by Guest »

In Toledo for the week. Haven't seen Lakers since I was a kid on the St Lawrence near Prescott. Is there any action around here and if so where?

Thanks.