Marquette Question

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Ken Niemi

Re: Marquette Question

Unread post by Ken Niemi »

Lakerguy wrote:
Reiss Recollections wrote:I would think the only places in Marquette that you would find iron ore pellets on the bottom of Lake Superior would be at the two loading docks. Now, I'm sure you could dive at the lower dock, as it is abandoned, but doubt that you would be allowed to dive around the upper dock which is still in use. If you are not looking for the dive experience, just the pellets, you can find them on any of the tracks leading to Marquette. If you live near Port Huron, I have a couple bucket-loads I could share with you (they make good slingshot ammo)!

Ken Niemi, Port Huron
That's awesome! I'm in Caro, MI not too far from Port Huron. Where do you find the pellets there? Or did you get them in Marquette? Do you find them on the tracks in town or do you have to leave town in Marquette to find them? Thanks for the info!
I was born and raised in Humboldt, which is about 30 miles west of Marquette, where the Humboldt mine was one of the very first taconite pelletizing plant run by Cleveland Cliffs. The tracks from the plant to the Marquette loading dock was always scattered with pellets that would spill off the cars. We would collect them for our slingshots as kids in the 50s and 60s. The mine closed in the 70s, but I went back several years ago and got several pails full for my son to use with his slingshot and brought some of them home to Port Huron.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Not sure if they still have them and do it anymore but, I remember when I used to take the Soo Locks Boat Tours many years ago that they used to have free souvenir taconite pellets they would store in a bucket and the tourists were allowed and given some of them for samples. Again, not sure if they still do that anymore as it has been many years since I've taken the boat tours at the Soo Locks?
Odysseus

Unread post by Odysseus »

I mean no offense to your question, but I do wonder why you want to find the pellets under water? The last time I was In Marquette, and visited the currently used dock in the upper harbor, you can find pellets under the rail tressel that goes to the dock.

FWIW, you can find pellets on the tracks that lead to the lift bridge on the west end of the Soo Locks, and do so without trespassing. Shucks, just stop past or before going to get a burger at West Pier Drive Inn, and you'll find pellets there. They spill out of the rail cars.
Lakerguy

Unread post by Lakerguy »

Reiss Recollections wrote:I would think the only places in Marquette that you would find iron ore pellets on the bottom of Lake Superior would be at the two loading docks. Now, I'm sure you could dive at the lower dock, as it is abandoned, but doubt that you would be allowed to dive around the upper dock which is still in use. If you are not looking for the dive experience, just the pellets, you can find them on any of the tracks leading to Marquette. If you live near Port Huron, I have a couple bucket-loads I could share with you (they make good slingshot ammo)!

Ken Niemi, Port Huron
That's awesome! I'm in Caro, MI not too far from Port Huron. Where do you find the pellets there? Or did you get them in Marquette? Do you find them on the tracks in town or do you have to leave town in Marquette to find them? Thanks for the info!
Reiss Recollections

Unread post by Reiss Recollections »

I would think the only places in Marquette that you would find iron ore pellets on the bottom of Lake Superior would be at the two loading docks. Now, I'm sure you could dive at the lower dock, as it is abandoned, but doubt that you would be allowed to dive around the upper dock which is still in use. If you are not looking for the dive experience, just the pellets, you can find them on any of the tracks leading to Marquette. If you live near Port Huron, I have a couple bucket-loads I could share with you (they make good slingshot ammo)!

Ken Niemi, Port Huron
Lakerguy

Marquette Question

Unread post by Lakerguy »

Ok...so a really oddball question. My hazy recollection is reminding me that a long time ago someone on here mentioned that there are places to go in Marquette where one can find ore pellets underwater. I can't remember why/how they came to be there but I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true and if so...where I could find these places? TIA