Presque Isle

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
wlbblw

Re: Presque Isle

Unread post by wlbblw »

Guest wrote:Can they not do this work on the tug over winter when they are normally laid up? How can they afford to take the boat out of service for two months during the height of the shipping season? Also, why don't they inspect the barge while the tug is having its five year?

They did a massive amount of work this past winter back aft. Major rudder repairs were made at the time with the floating dry dock shelter in place over the Starboard rudder. More time on a regular dry dock was required to further repairs below the water line with the rudders & skeg once the season got going & thats' what they just completed.
hugh3

Unread post by hugh3 »

PI has been tied up to the dock in Erie for the last couple of days. Hooked to the barge but just sitting there.

Unread post by Guest »

Can they not do this work on the tug over winter when they are normally laid up? How can they afford to take the boat out of service for two months during the height of the shipping season? Also, why don't they inspect the barge while the tug is having its five year?
jeffbenson

Unread post by jeffbenson »

The tug Presque Isle is "nose heavy" without the barge. If weather is calm she can travel by herself. If the weather and waves are up she usually has a tug on the hip. She is back in Erie and mated to the barge. They had to put on the bridge wings. But she hasn't left Erie as of this writing.
MattJ

Unread post by MattJ »

I would imagine the tug itself is hard to keep on course with the horsepower length ratio. I worked on CN car ferries in Sarnia and took the tug Margaret Yorke to Windsor for dry dock.
It wanted to veer all over the place without the barge

Unread post by Guest »

Is the Presque Isle's horsepower limited when it is just a tug? I noticed they are keeping their speed at 9 knots on Lake Erie.
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

XSailor wrote:See that it has been in PWDD since 6-20 for the 5 year. In the past it was in and out in roughly two weeks. Anyone know what is taking so long
In the past, she visited PWDD when it was a "going concern". These days, they have to rent the dock from the Seaway (I believe) and then arrange workers & equipment & supplies, as none would be on-hand. This could extend the time frames, especially if something unexpected (even if minor) cropped up.

Steve
houseflag

Unread post by houseflag »

P I should be in Erie by 0600/ Plans are to take the 8 to 10 hours needed to match up with the Barge, (can be quicker), and plan for departure - heading for Two Harbors for a load of ore pellets.

She'll be out running with all the others soon.

Unread post by Guest »

Up bound in the canal tonight
wlbblw

Unread post by wlbblw »

Major repairs were also scheduled to the rudders & skeg
XSailor

Presque Isle

Unread post by XSailor »

See that it has been in PWDD since 6-20 for the 5 year. In the past it was in and out in roughly two weeks. Anyone know what is taking so long