Cleveland Cliffs

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
hugh3

Re: Cleveland Cliffs

Unread post by hugh3 »

Always been partial to the Cliffs Victory myself.

Guest II

Unread post by Guest II »

Duluth Guest - You picked the most beautiful boat there ever
was in the Cliff's fleet to go with your article. Long, short, short._..
badger

Unread post by badger »

now if only Canada steamship lines would go back to its original funnel colours never did like the up side down hockey sticks you should never mess with history

Unread post by Guest »

Those Cleveland-Cliffs boats were among the best looking out there. Anyone too young to have ever seen them in operation surely missed out on something. Funny thing I always remember about them, is that I always liked the way their color scheme appeared in rainy weather. Perhaps it appealed to me as I had lived my early childhood around all of the olive drab vehicles at various U.S. Army bases in the States and Europe. Moving to the Great Lakes region in late 1970s, however, I only had the opportunity to see a few of them as the fleet wound down its operations during the early 1980s. The first I saw in person was the William P. Snyder Jr. upbound on the St. Clair River one summer afternoon while on the ferry to Canada from Roberts Landing just north of the Algonac State Park. This would been in 1979 if my memory is correct. We passed very close astern and it remains a sight I have never forgotten even though I was only 11 years old at the time.
Duluth Guest

Unread post by Duluth Guest »

Considering Rand Logistics is struggling (see earlier thread) maybe Cleveland Cliffs will seize the opportunity to acquire a fleet and return to the shipping industry. Those three Maritimers ( Cuyahoga, Mississagi and Manistee) in the Rand fleet would look good in CC green and black. I wonder how the others would look? Anyone have Photoshop?

I know, I know, it's just a pipe dream but still.....fun to dream sometimes.

Photo by Roger LeLievre

garbear

Cleveland Cliffs

Unread post by garbear »