Nicolet Buffalo accident.

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
William Lafferty

Re: Nicolet Buffalo accident.

Unread post by William Lafferty »

Particularly strong winds accompanied by snow on western Lake Erie December 8-9, 1977, caused the Nicolet to pound against its dock at Buffalo.

Nicolet Buffalo accident.

Unread post by Guest »

I was reading about a 1977 accident where the M/V Nicolet Sustained estimated $950,000 damage on December 9, 1977 after "surging against" a dock in Buffalo, NY. Does anyone have more info on what exactly happened. The only thing I could think of is someone didn't check down while passing and she struck the dock or was pushed aground, even for that, that's a lot of damage (nearly $4 million adjusted for inflation).

I always liked the Nicolet and it seems like Gartland/ASC put a lot of money into her to keep her running- diesel engine, repairing the fire damage, and then 1 million for whatever happened in Buffalo. I'm pretty sure the Joseph Frantz and her were the first two ships to have tube steel booms that were hydraulically lofted and slewed, which as a former deckhand I appreciated more than Rube Goldberg cable booms. She had to be one of the first 60' ships on the lakes as well.