Discussion Boards
Please click to visit our sponsor
It is currently September 21, 2017, 3:32 am

FAQ | Instructions | Help
Search for:

Post subject: Re: Speer's record load
Unread postPosted: September 1, 2017, 1:14 pm 
a boatnerd wrote:
When the Edgar Speer set a new record load of iron ore,how much deeper was her draft? What would her ballast draft be? Also at 60000 tons of cargo,70k? What is maximum draft to get thru the Soo locks? Thank you in advance!!

The controlling issues at the locks are the water over the sill getting into the locks, the water level in the pool below the locks, and the water level in rock cut. At mean low water datum the depth over the sill is 27'5". The depth of the lower pool is 26'11". Rock Cut is 26'11". So depending on water levels above MLWD you can determine how deep to load. Wind direction and atmospheric pressure affects the water levels, so the ships have to be very careful about how deep to load or be forced to anchor to wait for water levels to go up if you loaded too deep.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Speer's record load
Unread postPosted: September 1, 2017, 11:45 am 
Not 100% sure but thought in the oast when I've gone to the Soo with my folks, the set draft was around 27-28 feet loaded this is of course depending on the water levels and how much water I think the dams or compensating works release I think if I'm right here on this? Surely someone else will know more on this than myself. Also this is nit being made much in public but, the Speer's record load also just surpassed the Burns Harbor which in 1996 I believe it was at that time anyway, set the record for the Soo at over 72,000 ton through the locks. You can find this out I think on the facts and figures part of this website through the homepage here. Speaking of record loads, they must be very secretive and protective of these records along with the tonnages involved. Some of the old records on the Facts and Figures part of boatnerd has not been updated as far as tonnages in many years. Take for instance the CSL Assiniboine has set records for the largest load I think carried out if Thunder Bay in the past year or so and I think the cargoes were either grain or coal? It is listed in the CSL newsletter. The CSL Laurentien also carried a record cargo at some point in the last year or so of ore to Nanticoke and their new Trillium Bulk Carriers have also set tonnage records as well loading from Thunder Bay last year. Surely the Equinox-class vessels from Algoma have to be setting some records as well that I'm not seeing or hearing about. With the higher water now on the lakes and rivers, I'm sure that many ships have been loading deeper loads this year. Sorry for the long response but I hope that this helps you out some.

Report this post

Post subject: Speer's record load
Unread postPosted: September 1, 2017, 8:38 am 
When the Edgar Speer set a new record load of iron ore,how much deeper was her draft? What would her ballast draft be? Also at 60000 tons of cargo,70k? What is maximum draft to get thru the Soo locks? Thank you in advance!!

Report this post