KCBX North - last vessel

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jon Paul

Re: KCBX North - last vessel

Unread post by Jon Paul »

I enjoyed watching the docks because there were a wide variety of boats that loaded there incuding barges that came up from the Mississippi.
In the years I was by there the W W Holloway was running out of there almost every other day it seemed.
It was always a challenge passing there because sometimes a boat hung out farther in the river than we could clear and they had to hurry up and wich out of the way, or they had their self unloader boom swung out.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Thanks so much. Its strange to drive by and see the dock always empty and no coal on the ground.

Unread post by Guest »

I noticed your question on Boatnerd and I contacted two local photographers here in Chicago who were here during that time period, Lou Gerard & Mike Garza. (so they should be credited for this information) The last vessel to load at the KCBX North Dock is believed to be Algoma's Algowood and the date the vessel departed the dock is 5 June 2015. (c.douglas)
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Jon Paul's photo passing this site, which was once called Rail to Water, reminded me to bump this message. Does anyone know the last vessel to load there and the date? Likely sometime in early 2015.
Mr Link

KCBX North - last vessel

Unread post by Mr Link »

Does anyone know the last vessel to load at the original KCBX terminal on the Calumet River(later called KCBX North) and the date? Thanks.