Paul H. Townsend

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
ashland69

Re: Paul H. Townsend

Unread post by ashland69 »

Paul H. Townsend is downbound in Lake St. Clair at 11:15pm Saturday night enroute to Port Colbourne. Should pass Dossin Museum between 11:45 and midnight and Woodward Avenue approximately a half hour later.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

I see in today's Boatnerd News, the tow of the Townsend is making 7.8 knots. That's probably faster than she made on her own when she was hauling cement. She never had the reputation of moving to fast.
jzcleve

Unread post by jzcleve »

Sad to see another unique ship go. Anyone find it unusual that they used the Barbara Andrie for the tow when it has been pretty much idle for several years? Found a video on Youtube of the tow. https://youtu.be/bOGzkK_J9ec
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

The Paul H Townsend passed under the Mackinaw Bridge and Old Point Mackinac for the last time at 13:30 this afternoon (9/8). This gallant Old Lady had spent many years going thru the Straits of Mackinac.
Joe Delaronde

Unread post by Joe Delaronde »

I once was a guest of the company aboard the Townsend back in 1990 or 91 when she made her one and only trip to Montreal. It was my reward for giving a couple of Lafarge reps the heads up on available spare tonnage that they were looking for while we playing golf! When I named the ships in the Huron fleet it got their attention - I mentioned that US Steel had a couple of solid ships laid up in Duluth (one of which was the Leon Fraser - which I also mentioned by name). Lo and behold the company bought the Fraser and converted her...and I got a phone call inviting me to meet the Townsend at the Port of Montreal for a trip to Alpena. Alas, I couldn't get out of work for that amount of time but I was able to ride up to the Beauharnois Locks. It was highlight of my years of shipwatching. I still have the ILM baseball cap I was given. Needless to say, I am saddened by her scrapping but it comes as no surprise. So long, old friend!

Please note that I had never met the two Lafarge reps before. I was a guy who filled out the foursome with my wife's cousin, who was a contractor from Long Island who had some dealings with Lafarge. To this day I can't remember their names, as I never thought anything would ever come from my conversation with them. True story.

Unread post by Guest »

I have attached an old newspaper clipping that I have had in a scrapbook for about the last 40 years showing the Townsend passing the Roger Blough in the St. Clair River. I always thought it made an interesting comparison between two lake freighters each optimized for their particular trades.
Attachments
GRLK123114E9817.jpg
Dbuttonporthuron

Unread post by Dbuttonporthuron »

Leaving Thursday, tug Barbara Andrie, destination Port Colborne.
garbear

Paul H. Townsend

Unread post by garbear »

Just read on the KYS Facebook page the Townsend leaves Muskegon tomorrow in a scrap tow. Going to Canada, but didn't say where.