H. Lee White

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
garbear

Re: H. Lee White

Unread post by garbear »

Denny wrote:Looks like the John J. Boland may also be making another run as well down the Seaway soon! I see on the Port of Quebec website they are due to arrive somewhere around November 9th all subject to change of course depending on orders and weather right now. Unlike last season though, so far no mentioning if the Block or the Jackson has any Seaway trips in store? Wishful thinking I know here but, would sure be nice to see the Sykes and Block both make some runs down the Seaway this year! I've not seen the Sykes since May 2005 on the St. Clair River and don't have them yet on digital film. The Block I last saw her at the Soo in 2006 with my Mom so it's been a very long time for each ship for me and I'm long overdue to see each of them!
Boland just arrived here in Duluth about 11:40 for fuel, then the CN ore dock.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Looks like the John J. Boland may also be making another run as well down the Seaway soon! I see on the Port of Quebec website they are due to arrive somewhere around November 9th all subject to change of course depending on orders and weather right now. Unlike last season though, so far no mentioning if the Block or the Jackson has any Seaway trips in store? Wishful thinking I know here but, would sure be nice to see the Sykes and Block both make some runs down the Seaway this year! I've not seen the Sykes since May 2005 on the St. Clair River and don't have them yet on digital film. The Block I last saw her at the Soo in 2006 with my Mom so it's been a very long time for each ship for me and I'm long overdue to see each of them!
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

H. Lee White was just going thru the piers this a.m. as I was heading home from Superior. Loaded at CN ore docks in West Duluth and checked her AIS and she's once again showing a Quebec City destination.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

H. Lee White departed the CN ore dock here in Duluth 10/19(Thursday) again showing a Quebec City destination on her AIS.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

I wonder what the correlation is between the number of boat loads of pellets ship out, to the number of loads of limestone hauled to the Twin Ports and rail roaded up to the taconite plants to make those pellets? Maybe throw into the calculation the back haul of limestone to the Twin Ports, unless that has already been done.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:If there are 180 shiploads of ore moving through the Seaway on an annual basis, that would take 9 ships conducting 20 such round trips a year, perhaps more when taking assorted delays normally experienced during a regular season.
It could also use 1000 footers to take the ore to Conneaut or Ashtabula for trans-loading onto Seaway size boats. Two 1000 footers could easily handle the Duluth-Lake Erie haul in less than one season. That would reduce the Seaway round trip to about 7 days. Assuming the Seaway is open for 9 months per season, that could take the need down to about 5 Seaway sized boats. This is likely doable with the current fleet and expected new builds (Algoma). As mentioned, there are several US boats laid up that could be brought out too. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Unread post by Guest »

If there are 180 shiploads of ore moving through the Seaway on an annual basis, that would take 9 ships conducting 20 such round trips a year, perhaps more when taking assorted delays normally experienced during a regular season.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:With the declining nature of coal shipments, the Nashwauk project may be just what the Great Lakes shipping industry needs. As mentioned by another poster, this may actually bring out a few vessels currently in long-term layup like the Ryerson. It may also provide some work for ASC's idler Adam E. Cornelius and American Courage. Perhaps even a refit of the American Victory. The scrapping of the American Fortitude may have been a mistake if the Seaway movement of ore picks up but then again, it will probably face stiff competition from Canadian fleets.

Just some ramblings on a rainy morning!
When I made the post I used the number 30000 ton/boat. Probably closer to 25000. That would put it at 180 boatloads of ore. See if it happens, but it's interesting to speculate. Interesting to see what loading docks would be involved. Right now there's a steady backup at BNSF #5 and for the most part Two Harbors ships most of their pellets from the shiploader. An occasional GLF boat at the gravity docks, but that's it. Time will tell.

Unread post by Guest »

With the declining nature of coal shipments, the Nashwauk project may be just what the Great Lakes shipping industry needs. As mentioned by another poster, this may actually bring out a few vessels currently in long-term layup like the Ryerson. It may also provide some work for ASC's idler Adam E. Cornelius and American Courage. Perhaps even a refit of the American Victory. The scrapping of the American Fortitude may have been a mistake if the Seaway movement of ore picks up but then again, it will probably face stiff competition from Canadian fleets.

Just some ramblings on a rainy morning!
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:
Denny wrote:Thanks for that information my friend garbear very much helpful and appreciated. Just a little off subject but, like last year wonder if over time we will be seeing others make Seaway trips such as the Block did along with the Herbert C. Jackson? Would love to see and catch the Block on the St. Clair River as I missed my chance to see her and would love to see her come through here as I last saw her at the Soo in 2006 with my Mom. I would also like to see the Sykes make a rare Seaway Trip as well but, I suppose that won't happen with her used mostly hauling stuff to Lake Michigan ports. Still it would be nice!
Not to get off the subject either, but this was in the Duluth News Tribune. If you figure 30000 ton/boat load, that would be 150 loads. Where are boats coming from? Maybe Ryerson and a few others that have been in long term lay-up. Be interesting to see what happens.

Clarke said a key element of the Nashwauk project is that about 2.5 million tons of the plant's taconite will go to the on-site iron plant. The other 4.5 million tons annually has been pledged to a Chinese steelmaker.

Chinese mills are seeking out and will pay more for taconite pellets because they don't need to be sintered. It's the sintering process for natural ore fines or lumps that creates much of China's infamous air pollution problem.

"The Chinese (mills) are paying a $41.50 premium per ton (over global iron ore prices) for pellets so they can cut their pollution. It's a mandate from their government," Clarke said, noting he expects to produce taconite in Nashwauk, ship it across the Great Lakes to Quebec City and transfer it to saltwater ships to move to China "and still have a $30 per ton (profit) margin."
Getting old. Forgot to add my name again.

Unread post by Guest »

Denny wrote:Thanks for that information my friend garbear very much helpful and appreciated. Just a little off subject but, like last year wonder if over time we will be seeing others make Seaway trips such as the Block did along with the Herbert C. Jackson? Would love to see and catch the Block on the St. Clair River as I missed my chance to see her and would love to see her come through here as I last saw her at the Soo in 2006 with my Mom. I would also like to see the Sykes make a rare Seaway Trip as well but, I suppose that won't happen with her used mostly hauling stuff to Lake Michigan ports. Still it would be nice!
Not to get off the subject either, but this was in the Duluth News Tribune. If you figure 30000 ton/boat load, that would be 150 loads. Where are boats coming from? Maybe Ryerson and a few others that have been in long term lay-up. Be interesting to see what happens.

Clarke said a key element of the Nashwauk project is that about 2.5 million tons of the plant's taconite will go to the on-site iron plant. The other 4.5 million tons annually has been pledged to a Chinese steelmaker.

Chinese mills are seeking out and will pay more for taconite pellets because they don't need to be sintered. It's the sintering process for natural ore fines or lumps that creates much of China's infamous air pollution problem.

"The Chinese (mills) are paying a $41.50 premium per ton (over global iron ore prices) for pellets so they can cut their pollution. It's a mandate from their government," Clarke said, noting he expects to produce taconite in Nashwauk, ship it across the Great Lakes to Quebec City and transfer it to saltwater ships to move to China "and still have a $30 per ton (profit) margin."
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks for that information my friend garbear very much helpful and appreciated. Just a little off subject but, like last year wonder if over time we will be seeing others make Seaway trips such as the Block did along with the Herbert C. Jackson? Would love to see and catch the Block on the St. Clair River as I missed my chance to see her and would love to see her come through here as I last saw her at the Soo in 2006 with my Mom. I would also like to see the Sykes make a rare Seaway Trip as well but, I suppose that won't happen with her used mostly hauling stuff to Lake Michigan ports. Still it would be nice!
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

The H. Lee White is downbound Lake Superior this a.m. after loading pellets at the CN ore dock here in Duluth. Her AIS is showing another Quebec City destination.
garbear

H. Lee White

Unread post by garbear »

I see she's due at BNSF #5 on Tuesday to load and she's showing up on the Port of Quebec site to arrive there on 9/24.