World War II film Lake Carrier

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jared

Re: World War II film Lake Carrier

Unread post by Jared »

I wish I would have found that footage for our Hydrus program. Very rare to see a unmodified turret pilothouse in motion picture.

Unread post by Guest »

The answer to the comment on what Pittsburgh boat is the at the 6 min. mark leaving Duluth with the turret pilot house is this:
In 1916 the Pittsburgh fleet of U. S. Steel bought six 434 to 440 foot ships from the defunct Hawgood - Acme Transit Co., each of which had that style of pilot house. They were: Bransford, renamed John H. McLean, and later the crane ship Clifford F. Hood. J. M. Jenks renamed R. R. Richardson. H. B. Hawgood, renamed Pentecost Mitchell. Wisconsin renamed A. F. Harvey (1), A. H. Ferbert (1), & Herman C. Strom. Umbria renamed MacGilvray Shiras, and the one sitting in the scrap yard at Duluth - Edwin F. Holmes, renamed E. C. Collins, and now J. B. Ford.
Wawatam

Unread post by Wawatam »

Excellent.
Thanks for posting Mr. Lafferty.
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

Does anyone know what the boat is heading out of Duluth at 6:24-25? USS Steel boat with a turret pilot house, kind of an oddball.
I'm thinking it's the Pentecost Mitchell, originally the H. B. Hawgood. I think I see a water tank on the port bridge wing as it had, and it certainly had a similar pilothouse. The name seems the right length, too. But, it's hard to say.
Ray

Unread post by Ray »

Wow - great find! Does anyone know what the boat is heading out of Duluth at 6:24-25? USS Steel boat with a turret pilot house, kind of an oddball. Thanks.

Unread post by Guest »

Great link Mr. Lafferty! I have tried to find an old USACE film about the Soo Locks filmed sometime in the 1960s I believe that traced a run by the Arthur M. Anderson from the upper to lower lakes that I saw in Junior High during the early 1980s but have yet to find it. Hopefully one day it will turn up on line.
William Lafferty

World War II film Lake Carrier

Unread post by William Lafferty »

I don't recall this being posted here, but perhaps it has been. It has excellently shot footage of lakers during the war, especially in winter conditions, and narrated by well-known Hollywood actor Frederic March. That it looks good is no accident. One of the film's cinematographers, the late Floyd Crosby, was a Hollywood stalwart, probably best known for High Noon and Beach Blanket Bingo, as well as a bunch of Roger Corman films, and left the Army after the war as a major in the Signal Corps. His son is rock musician David Crosby. The other cinematographer, Carl Preyer, did tons of television and commercials after the war, including many of the episodes of You Asked For It on ABC, if there is anybody out there old enough to remember that show.

https://archive.org/details/47944LakeCarrier