FAQ | Instructions | Help
Search for:

Post subject: Re: Boat ETAs
Unread postPosted: October 12, 2017, 8:22 pm 
Thank you for the helpful responses!

Report this post

Unread postPosted: October 11, 2017, 4:09 pm 
For Duluth, Superior, Two Harbors, and Silver Bay, the estimated arrivals and departures are shown on duluthboats.com. Of course, those are just estimates provided by the site owners, but they are regularly updated between 10am-6pm as more information becomes available. Arrival times tend to be more accurate than departure times, especially once the boat has come through the locks at Sault Ste Marie. Unless there is bad weather en route that requires a change of course, the arrival time is pretty much known to within an hour or so. If you go to the museum at Canal Park in Duluth, estimated arrival and departure times are also listed on the monitors. These are regularly updated when the museum is open for visitors.

Often, I use the map on Marine Traffic to help estimate arrival times, while tracking the ship movement. Look at the distance between Duluth and Two Harbors on the map. That is roughly two hours of travel time for most lake freighters. Using that distance as a "scale," I will often estimate arrival times based on that. If a boat is roughly three times that distance away, I will assume it's about six hours away. Likewise, if a boat is halfway between Two Harbors and Duluth, I know it's only about an hour away.

Of course not all ships travel at the same speed, so it's only an estimate.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: October 11, 2017, 2:08 pm 
I can't answer your question directly, but between Two Harbors and Duluth / Superior any given day you should be able to catch something coming and going. Unless there was a bottleneck due to weather or some other problem..

Report this post

Unread postPosted: October 9, 2017, 9:02 pm 
Mostly Duluth but occasionally Two Harbors and Silver Bay

Report this post

Unread postPosted: October 9, 2017, 3:45 pm 
What area are you in? Different ports have websites you may access.

Report this post

Post subject: Boat ETAs
Unread postPosted: October 8, 2017, 8:39 pm 
Can anyone tell me whose time estimate is usually the best to go by for when a boat comes into port? I have noticed that very often when I look up a boat by name on marine traffic, the time that is posted as an eta doesn't seem to get updated, even after it is very apparent it will not be met. And the time listed for a boat by looking up the Port is usually different. How are the times updated and by who? I am new at this and trying to time things right to get some good pictures! Thanks!

Report this post