Manistee Future

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
garbear

Re: Manistee Future

Unread post by garbear »

Duluth Guest wrote:The Michipicoten can fuel in Two Harbors when she loads there but I have not seen her at that dock very much this summer.
May have been in Two Harbors before the end of July, but hasn't been there since.
Duluth Guest

Unread post by Duluth Guest »

The Michipicoten can fuel in Two Harbors when she loads there but I have not seen her at that dock very much this summer.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:The Manistee is worn out from salt damage. As far as accesss to the CSX docks those are private property and not open to public. You need TWIC and railroad permission.
That's why you gotta have ninja skills. :)
Rob W wrote: I was on the Cuyahoga this past lay up and they were putting significant steel work in her hoppers and tunnel area. As far as outside steel, she'll probably get that at the 5 year if she lasts that long. Brevener loved her as she was the beginning and flag ship of LLT but now that's he's gone she's just another boat
She sure is a beautiful sight to behold. But if LLT croaks...I imagine it will be the end of her career, along with other two Maritimers.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

A little off subject here but, in part to respond to Rob W and his post on the LLT work and racehorses I would have to say this as the Michipicoten this year certainly has been one but nothing new there either I suppose with her running the "Essar Steel Ore runs from both Marquette and Superior." She has been a racehorse on these runs this year as she sure has not been down here much on the St. Clair River this year or the Lower Lakes and in fact she has not at least so far even made a Seaway trip out with any cargoes this year as she's done in the past! What I would like to know on the Michipicoten "With her running ore in and out of Essar most of the time, where then does she get her fuel at?" Do they take on fuel while she loads at Marquette and Superior or do they fuel her while she unloads at Essar? I ask simply because when she is on the Essar runs, other than fueling in Duluth if she loads in Superior at BNSF, where does she get her fuel at if she is not heading down to any Lower Lakes ports? Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Unread post by Guest »

The Manistee is worn out from salt damage. As far as accesss to the CSX docks those are private property and not open to public. You need TWIC and railroad permission.
Rob W

Unread post by Rob W »

I was on the Cuyahoga this past lay up and they were putting significant steel work in her hoppers and tunnel area. As far as outside steel, she'll probably get that at the 5 year if she lasts that long. Brevener loved her as she was the beginning and flag ship of LLT but now that's he's gone she's just another boat. She sure is a horse for them. There are days she's in the canal upbound and down bound same day after unload in Hamilton

Rob W

Unread post by Guest »

They were considered worn out 20 yrs ago so who knows I"m really surprised they lasted as long as they have!
Duluth Guest

Unread post by Duluth Guest »

This begs the question: If the Manistee is essentially worn out beyond cost effective repair, how far behind are the other three similarly aged Maritimers that they own?
Greenshirt

Unread post by Greenshirt »

Pazzo wrote:That's a tough one, huh? It costs too much to get her fit out to sail and it's another steep cost to the company to scrap her.

I've wondered often, as of late, whether we should expect to see any new ship builds proposed for the American side.. and would that be a reality for Lower Lakes? Would they be built on our shores? I should surely hope, but seeing how the Canadian companies have sent all that new business to overseas builders, it may serve as a precedent.

Manistee is still laid up in Toledo, in one of the Torco docks, right? It's been so long since I was in Toledo. Is she within a decent distance for photography from an adjacent river bank?

It's a maze back there. But there is no gate and no I'd checker and no one second guesses going back through the csx yard.

You can walk right up and touch her if you so choose.

Unread post by Guest »

Any newbuilds that want to engage in coastwise US trade (US port to US port) are subject to the Jones Act and therefore must be built in the United States. Waivers are possible for one-time basis operations, but are not granted on a fleetwide level. Canada does not have this regulation so they can renew their fleets on the cheap in European and Chinese yards.
Thank you, SoundSaltie... with all the news as of late regarding the Jones Act, you'd think I would have kept it in mind. It really would be nice to see some of the shipyards working on new hulls nd maybe newer designs.
SoundSaltie

Unread post by SoundSaltie »

Manistee will likely be making an appearance in a mens shaving section rather than being refitted for service. Cutting her down to a barge might be an option for a deep pocketed company who wants to put the cash and effort into converting her, but I think her days as a self-propelled freighter are over.
Pazzo wrote: I've wondered often, as of late, whether we should expect to see any new ship builds proposed for the American side.. and would that be a reality for Lower Lakes? Would they be built on our shores? I should surely hope, but seeing how the Canadian companies have sent all that new business to overseas builders, it may serve as a precedent.
Any newbuilds that want to engage in coastwise US trade (US port to US port) are subject to the Jones Act and therefore must be built in the United States. Waivers are possible for one-time basis operations, but are not granted on a fleetwide level. Canada does not have this regulation so they can renew their fleets on the cheap in European and Chinese yards.
Pazzo

Unread post by Pazzo »

That's a tough one, huh? It costs too much to get her fit out to sail and it's another steep cost to the company to scrap her.

I've wondered often, as of late, whether we should expect to see any new ship builds proposed for the American side... and would that be a reality for Lower Lakes? Would they be built on our shores? I should surely hope, but seeing how the Canadian companies have sent all that new business to overseas builders, it may serve as a precedent.

Manistee is still laid up in Toledo, in one of the Torco docks, right? It's been so long since I was in Toledo. Is she within a decent distance for photography from an adjacent river bank?
toledoboatphotographer

Unread post by toledoboatphotographer »

She needs a 5 year survey first before she can sail again. Also steel needs to be replaced in the cargo holds and hull of the vessel. this steel work was estimated to cost several million dollars above the cost of the vessel survey. This was several years ago. Most likely by now the costs would be even more expensive for these repairs to happen. Considering the financial shape Lower Lakes is in at the present time. The 5 year survey and steel repairs won't be happening any time soon....She already had a one year extension on her sailing certificate which means she now has to have a 5 year survey before she can sail.

Manistee Future

Unread post by Guest »

What is the story on the Manistee? Is it in pretty bad shape or have tonnages slipped to the point that there is not enough business to justify its operation?