Equinox class question

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
BigRiver

Re: Equinox class question

Unread post by BigRiver »

From Macob: Anyone who attends the class has to be a registered participant in SOAR Macomb. That means, they have to pay the semester registration fee that allows them to take up to 10 classes. No walk ins.

Unread post by Guest »

I thought the rule of thumb was 730s usually carried a million bushels give or take.
BigRiver

It is a class. I am checking to see if they still have room and will post here if they do.

Unread post by Guest »

RogerKYS wrote:Looking for the following information regarding grain capacity.

I believe the rule of thumb a number of years ago was a Canadian 730 footer could carry 3/4 of a million bushels of grain. Is that still roughly true for the Equinox and Trillium classes?

I am also trying to recall how many loaves of bread could theoretically be made from one vessel load.

I am giving a presentation to a class at Macomb Community College and I am trying to fill in some gaps in my knowledge.

Thanks!
Is this a presentation to a particular class or an open seminar? I live nearby and would attend if possible.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Here's another one, Roger. This was from a post I made in 2014. This is what the Algoma Harvester loaded at Nidera in South Chicago.

1088000 bushels/29613 metric
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

RogerKYS wrote:Looking for the following information regarding grain capacity.

I believe the rule of thumb a number of years ago was a Canadian 730 footer could carry 3/4 of a million bushels of grain. Is that still roughly true for the Equinox and Trillium classes?

I am also trying to recall how many loaves of bread could theoretically be made from one vessel load.

I am giving a presentation to a class at Macomb Community College and I am trying to fill in some gaps in my knowledge.

Thanks!
Roger-This was from the Fall issue 2016 of North Star Port Magazine from the Seaway Port Authority of Duluth.

The Port of Duluth-Superior set
two grain records this season. In July,
an all-time Port record of 30,000.045
metric tons was loaded on the
Canadian-flag Algoma Harvester.
Less than two months later,
that was bested.
“On September 7, we loaded her
with 30,007.542 metric tons (1,102,639
bushels) of spring wheat bound for
Canada,” said Ben Herstad, superintendent
of Ceres Terminals. “That pushed
the record just a little bit higher.”
“The Algoma Harvester was our
ninth vessel of 2016,” said Jim Lehto,
facility manager at Duluth Storage,
the elevator that handled both
record-setting loads. “Riverland Ag
Corp and our parent company, Ceres
Global Ag Corp, are committed to
finding new opportunities to increase
volume through our Duluth Storage
facility—not only for 2016, but going
forward.”
L
BigRiver

Equinox class question

Looking for the following information regarding grain capacity.

Thanks!