Amerisand and Hansand

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
pcolachap

Re: Amerisand and Hansand

Unread post by pcolachap »

Dad was the last Captain of the Stmr Joseph H. Thompson. He sailed her from 1976 until final layup in Ecorse, in late August, 1982.
So a few thoughts about the Hanna fleet in the mid 50's. They had 10 boats, 6 National Steel: Humphrey, Weir, Milsop,, Fink, Conway & the Mudge. They had 3 boats, former Franklin, owned by Hanna: Andrews, Berwind & Emery L. Ford. The latter three never carried the National Steel Billboard. And the Thompson (Handsand) known as the "Huron Express". Those cargoes were delivered to the Wheeling Pittsburg mills in Mingo Junction, OH and Monessen, PA.
Thompson would also carry National Steel cargoes to Great Lakes Steel in Detroit and Cleveland, for delivery to Weirton, WV.
I do not know how the McKee family became involved with the Thompson. I do know the office was very much aware of "Mr. McKee".
And yes, the Carnahan & the Falk were National Steel boats as well as the George A. Stinson. Mike

Unread post by Guest »

On a semi-related topic, where the Leon Falk Jr., Paul H. Carnahan, George Humphrey, and Ernest T. Weir owned by National Steel outright? I believe they all operated under Hanna management.

Unread post by Guest »

The Joseph H. Thompson was operated to carry ore for the account of Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel, and rarely carried iron ore for National Steel.
KHenry

Unread post by KHenry »

I have always wondered about these joint ventures myself. The Amerisand arrangement made sense, as the McKee Sons would be able to haul product for the Sand Products Corporation since it was a self-unloader. The Hansand arrangement is a bit more interesting though, as the Joseph H. Thompson was a dedicated ore carrier and seemingly would have been of little direct benefit to Sand Products. Was Hansand just an investment opportunity for Sand Products Corporation? It's worth pointing out that the Thompson never carried the National Steel Corporation billboard like her directly-owned fleetmates.
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

Technically, Sand Products Corporation was headquartered at Detroit then. You're correct. This was the brainchild of Max McKee, then president of SPC, to share ownership of large lake vessels economically derived from surplus wartime bottoms. Hansand was half-owned by SPC, the other half by Hanna Coal and Ore Co. and the Wheeling Steel Corp. Amersand was a partnership between SPC and Boland & Cornelius, as you note. Hanna and B&C oversaw management of their respective vessels. The Aquarama was wholly owned by Sand Products and leased to Michigan & Ohio Navigation Company on a ten year charter, which did not work out so well.

Amerisand and Hansand

Unread post by Guest »

I believe that Amerisand and Hansand were joint ventures by the American Steamship and Hanna Mining Company with Sand Products of Muskegon. Am I correct? If so, how did this arrangement evolve, it seems like these firms were established for the conversion of saltwater vessels for the Great Lakes trade during the 1950s.