Return to Great Lakes & Seaway Shipping Great Lakes & Seaway Shipping Online
Discussion Boards
Please click to visit our sponsor
It is currently February 18, 2018, 8:44 pm

FAQ | Instructions | Help
Search for:

Post subject: Re: Biggest Propeller?
Unread postPosted: November 13, 2017, 10:56 am 
John Sherwin's propeller, currently on display at the National Museum of the Great Lakes is a cast propeller and is 23 foot and some change in diameter. You can see the propeller at www.inlandseas.org

Report this post

Post subject: Re: BiggestPropellerOnTheLakes
Unread postPosted: November 12, 2017, 10:36 am 
This is an interesting question. I don't think the size of the ship is the only factor, There has been a many different approaches to propeller design, not only for efficiency but also to reduce cavetation, which was a big problem with designs from the 1970's.
If you are looking for the biggest prop on the lakes, check out the Algoma Enterprise. I think its bigger than 20ft. ULS went with a large diameter and low RPM along with other design features to get good efficiency and to reduce cavitation.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: BiggestPropellerOnTheLakes
Unread postPosted: November 11, 2017, 6:35 pm 
I can’t answer your question but I can tell you that the Blough’s prop Is 20 feet in diameter, 4 blade and variable pitch.

Report this post

Post subject: Biggest Propeller?
Unread postPosted: November 11, 2017, 3:48 pm 
Would the Roger Blough or the St. Clair have the biggest propeller on the Lakes, being that the thousand footers all appear to have two props, and the Blough and St. Clair are not quite as long and have a single prop? I would think it could be the Blough with all that horsepower?

Report this post