Duluth grounded ship in the 80's

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Duluth grounded ship in the 80's

Unread post by Guest »

Jerry at Duluth wrote:Joshua Hatfield. She blew across the harbor from the scrap dock and grounded. Later, another storm freed the vessel and blew it almost back to the scrap dock before tugs grabbed her and secured her at the dock.
This must be the one I was thinking about. I remember see her grounded during a tour on the Vista Fleet but couldn't remember any of the details.
Al

Unread post by Al »

I seem to recall an Interlake 1,000-footer grounding briefly on a mud shoal that built up at the fairway buoy that marks (marked?) the channel turn inside the harbor near the Aerial Life Bridge. It wasn't a big deal and the boat was off in less than a day. When the Hatfield blew away it ended up over by the marina on Park Point.
Hatfield

Unread post by Hatfield »

There is a photo of this in the Photo Gallery. It's in the Marine Historical Society of Detroit's gallery under Hatfield.

Unread post by Guest »

The Joshua A Hatfield of the US Steel fleet was waiting for the cutting torch off of Garfield Ave, and broke loose from it's moorings and drifted out into the harbor and grounded off the Coast Guard station.
Roger Aho
hausen

Unread post by hausen »

garbear wrote:Probably was a lot earlier, but I remember one of the Interlake boats hitting one of the piers as she was departing, and she took on water. Seems like it was either the Beeghly or Sherwin, but I don't remember the particulars.
It was the Beeghly. From Boatnerd's Hon. James L. Oberstar history page.:
The Charles M. Beeghly sailed at the end of April 1981 with her first cargo as a self-unloader: 26,751 tons (27,181 mt) of iron ore delivered on May 3 to Bethlehem Steel's Lackawanna Dock at Buffalo, NY. Due to a downturn in the economy, the Charles M. Beeghly remained in lay-up at Superior, WI through the 1982 and 1983 seasons. Attempting to return to service on April 17th, 1984, the large self-unloader became caught in heavy ice and, with the unwanted assistance of some unusual currents, was driven crossways in the shipping channel with her stern hitting the breakwall. The stern was extensively damaged above the water line and after many hours of hard work, tugs finally freed the laker returning her to the Fraser Shipyard for repair. The Beeghly returned to service on May 14.
hausen

Unread post by hausen »

from the "Today in Great Lakes History" feature that the Boatnerd News page offers, for June 21:
On June 21, 1986, during a severe thunderstorm (and unofficial observations of a funnel cloud) in the Duluth area, the JOSHUA A HATFIELD broke loose from Azcon Scrap Dock in Duluth and was blown across the harbor and ended up hard aground on Park Point (Minnesota Point). She remained stuck for nearly 3 weeks when a storm with east winds pushed the HATFIELD free and she blew most of the way back across the harbor back to the scrap dock. Tugs were dispatched in time to safely guide the HATFIELD back to the scrap dock.
There's a picture of this incident showing the hulk of the HATFIELD aground at this link.
Jerry at Duluth

Unread post by Jerry at Duluth »

Joshua Hatfield. She blew across the harbor from the scrap dock and grounded. Later, another storm freed the vessel and blew it almost back to the scrap dock before tugs grabbed her and secured her at the dock.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Probably was a lot earlier, but I remember one of the Interlake boats hitting one of the piers as she was departing, and she took on water. Seems like it was either the Beeghly or Sherwin, but I don't remember the particulars.

Duluth grounded ship in the 80's

Unread post by Guest »

Does anyone remember a laker grounding in the Duluth Harbor sometime in the 80's. I am not referring to the Socrates. I seem to remember seeing one grounded near the current Coast Guard station. I can not remember the circumstances or what ship it was. Thanks for any advice.