Thunder Bay Dry Dock

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Thunder Bay Dry Dock

Unread post by guest »

Took a drive by the old Pascol shipyards today and hardly any tire tracks in the snow there. Hasn't snowed for awhile here so guess not much going on there.

Unread post by guest »

Not sure how much Heddle put into this yard in Thunder Bay. When I worked there it needed a lot of work. Every building needed lots of work and the drydock was a bit of a nightmare. We were only to use it for emergency repairs as it was almost condemned. Boats went in and out anyways. Said work was emergency and did 5 year while it was in. I had heard there has been a couple tugs serviced there and most of the work will be tugs and industrial fabrication. There might be a few winter layups there but most might be at Keefer Terminal as usual. Be nice to see people moving down there and more money getting put into the economy of the city.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Plus Heddle has been handling ships up to 650' by 68' on their existing floating docks.
NiagaraMike

Unread post by NiagaraMike »

That's not entirely true Mike.
Port Weller Drydock has two functional dry docks, the last survey done was the Presque Isle tug.

Unread post by Guest »

Its hard for the Cdn. dock to compete with the U.S. docks when their core work is protected by the government. It should be a free trade issue.

Unread post by Guest »

MikeCDN wrote:With the port of Thunder Bay rebranding itself as the, Superior Way West, in an attempt to boost more traffic - hopefully there will be more of a need for this facility.

It's now the only Canadian dry dock on the lakes now.

Mike.
Isn't PWDD still used occasionally?
MikeCDN

Unread post by MikeCDN »

With the port of Thunder Bay rebranding itself as the, Superior Way West, in an attempt to boost more traffic - hopefully there will be more of a need for this facility.

It's now the only Canadian dry dock on the lakes now.

Mike.

Unread post by Guest »

It was a big to do in the news in Thunder Bay and I have asked that question on here myself. It's a puzzle but from what was announced Fabmar Marine was supposed to move in and run it but rumor is that fell through. Another rumor was Fabmar was purchased by somebody from Southern Ontario so who knows. There is very little movement down there. Nobody has any idea but it doesn't look like much for the big hype they made about it for this city. It looks pretty dead down there compared to the old days. Don't know if any machinery was moved in or not. Be nice to see or hear something.
MikeCDN

Thunder Bay Dry Dock

Unread post by MikeCDN »

Just curious about what's happening the old PASCOL dry dock in Thunder Bay ON.

I heard earlier this year that Heddle Marine had bought it and they were going to begin operations there again.

Thanks in advance,

Mike