Hands free mooring

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
cpfan

Re: Hands free mooring

Unread post by cpfan »

Guest wrote: What ships can't use the new system ?
Shorter boats, eg tugs and pleasure craft, can't use the HFM system. It looks to me that they want at least two of the "hands" to grab the vessel.

Steve

Unread post by guest »

Maybe a tad off topic but is a dock side crew either on hand or scheduled for ships that can't use hands free mooring? I know dock crews are scheduled to be at a dock to unload a boat. Thanks for any info.

Unread post by Guest »

Ships that can't use the system are those with anything that causes the hull surface not to be flat. By example, the Maritimers of LLT have riveted hulls and the shell plating is lapped creating gaps in the Vacuum seals when the pads are applied and will not work with the vacuum. Some barges have rubbing bars that run along the hull and do not leave enough flat surface for the pads to attach. Cruise ships and yachts use lines, black marks from the pads wouldn't look too good on the hulls.
As for the bigger ships taking longer, you've partially answered your own question... they are bigger. They are longer, maximum width, and are permitted to load deeper, so have no choice but to be slower. Also slower to final position in the lock as they fill the whole space and have to be very precise when stopping.
Overall, the lockages for the majority of ships are quicker, unless you have to wait for a lines crew, then delays start.
Up North George

Unread post by Up North George »

I will say if your vessel lines up properly and is able to use the system it is great. The vessel holds steady without working the wires or winches hard. The seaway locks have a much harsher water flow. So when using winches the vessel moves much more than say the Soo locks. The hands free are much safer because the vessel isn't working wires which can part and hurt individuals. The unfortunate side is that of course it reduces worker or jobs.

Unread post by Guest »

cpfan wrote:
Guest wrote:Has the hands free mooring been a succes,or a burden ?
Seems the bigger ships in the canal a lot longer.
Thanks in advance.
Not sure what your second sentence means.

I don't know how the the Seaway or crews feel. But it appears to me that ships are going through the locks faster. No scientific evidence since I don't wear a watch.

It slows down the ships that can't use the HFM system because they have to wait for a dockside crew.

Steve
What ships can't use the new system ?
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

Guest wrote:Has the hands free mooring been a succes,or a burden ?
Thanks in advance.
Not sure what your second sentence means.

I don't know how the the Seaway or crews feel. But it appears to me that ships are going through the locks faster. No scientific evidence since I don't wear a watch.

It slows down the ships that can't use the HFM system because they have to wait for a dockside crew.

Steve

Hands free mooring

Unread post by Guest »

Has the hands free mooring been a succes,or a burden ?
Thanks in advance.