Fans of Know Your Ships Facebook

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
JT

Re: Fans of Know Your Ships Facebook

Unread post by JT »

I've noticed some changes to how public groups are viewed on Facebook. It once allowed you to see anything on the page. The new setup only shows a general overview, and limits what you can see. I've only seen this on desktop browsers so far, however. I've yet to see any changes to how public groups are viewed on mobile devices, but my Facebook app is now out of date, and that too many have changed.
wormster1

Unread post by wormster1 »

use this web page, works just fine for viewing the photos but you can not post unless you join facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 605&type=3
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

William Lafferty wrote:You must join Facebook to access its content. This is what I get when I go from a Google search of "Fans of Know Your Ships" to Facebook using the "Private Window" option on my MacBook.
Even the banner is missing from my access page, which is blank except for the "You Must Log In..." message.

Unread post by Guest »

A page does not necessarily allow for as easy of photo posting by all members as a group does.
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

If Fans of Know Your Ships were a Facebook "page" rather than "group," it would be publicly accessible. Facebook will ask you to register or log-in, but that prompt can be gotten rid of by clicking "Not now." But that is up to its administrator, since there are pros and cons for each. A "public" group is one that can be accessed by registered Facebook users; if it is a "closed" group, a registered user must join it to see posts.
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

I can no longer access FB Fans of KYS either, although I can view a limited number of photos on the FB Photos of Fans of KYS. I thought maybe it was because I choose to view in private, but it happens even when I don't.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

KYS Page Admin wrote:If anything has changed, it must be on FB's end. The page, because its primary purpose is to promote the Know Your Ships book, has always been a public page. I checked the settings and it is still public. Perhaps Facebook has changed and is not allowing non-members to view any pages.
About 2 months ago it changed. I was perfectly content to view the "public" page, but then it changed. I had never planned on joining Facebook, but that ended up being the only way to view KYS.
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

You must join Facebook to access its content. This is what I get when I go from a Google search of "Fans of Know Your Ships" to Facebook using the "Private Window" option on my MacBook.
Attachments
FB FKYS.png
KYS Page Admin

Unread post by KYS Page Admin »

If anything has changed, it must be on FB's end. The page, because its primary purpose is to promote the Know Your Ships book, has always been a public page. I checked the settings and it is still public. Perhaps Facebook has changed and is not allowing non-members to view any pages.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:Some time ago I began running into problems viewing the publc Know Your Ships Facebook page, which is prompting to me sign up to continue. Did something change recently with this? I don't have an account with Facebook, nor do I want one. I only wish to view the comments / images and not make any posts.
That's the reason I joined. The public pages were no longer available. I don't go in for 90% of the b.s. on Facebook, but I do like KYS Facebook and a few other ones I'm on.

Fans of Know Your Ships Facebook

Unread post by Guest »

Some time ago I began running into problems viewing the publc Know Your Ships Facebook page, which is prompting to me sign up to continue. Did something change recently with this? I don't have an account with Facebook, nor do I want one. I only wish to view the comments / images and not make any posts.