Stelco of Canada

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Stelco of Canada

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Being a Hamiltonian and having family friends who worked at Stelco, I'll believe it when I see it that the Hilton Works in Hamilton is producing steel again.

The union and management have always had a lousy relationship, and I don't see how this will be any better under a new owner. Frankly, the attitudes would have to change on both sides, and even then, how do they expect to make a profit in the current market atmosphere?
The article doesn't mention the resumption of steelmaking in Hamilton. The blast furnace and steelmaking furnaces (BOF's) last operated in 2010 and the blast furnace was declared permanently shutdown in 2013. The cost to rehab and restart these facilities is prohibitive and makes no sense, especially in a contracting industry. I'm a Hamiltonian too and I wish Hilton Works would again make steel but I think that's a pipedream. The 'new' Stelco will be lucky to survive in this highly competitive market of just a few large players.

Unread post by Guest »

Being a Hamiltonian and having family friends who worked at Stelco, I'll believe it when I see it that the Hilton Works in Hamilton is producing steel again.

The union and management have always had a lousy relationship, and I don't see how this will be any better under a new owner. Frankly, the attitudes would have to change on both sides, and even then, how do they expect to make a profit in the current market atmosphere?
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

I read the article and it did not say what Minnesota taconite company they were buying (or going to buy) ore from. I wonder if this is known at this time. I would think not Minntac or National since it sounds like they had a strained relationship with US Steel Corp.
garbear

Stelco of Canada

Unread post by garbear »

Interesting article in this mornings Minneapolis Star Tribune.

http://www.startribune.com/at-107-steel ... 462421053/