Escanaba Ore Dock

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Woodtick

Re: Escanaba Ore Dock

Unread post by Woodtick »

Nothing new about the dock in the local newspaper or in northtown
Retired Cap

Unread post by Retired Cap »

Anybody local see anything going on there?
Maintenance, for sale signs?
Just wondering.
Retired rom Esky wintering in AZ.....
Old CCI Guy

Unread post by Old CCI Guy »

garbear wrote:
Old CCI Guy wrote:I had heard that when Cliff's bought US Steel out of the Tilden Mine earlier this year, that was step one in their logistics plan.
Step two would be the Escanaba Dock.
As a previous poster stated, they may be setting up for the HBI plant coming online in Toledo in 2020.
Thought that ore was supposed to come from the Mesabi Range.
From Cliff's website:
The location will allow our plant to receive our iron ore pellets produced in Michigan and Minnesota, similar to how we currently supply our existing blast furnace customers.
http://www.clevelandcliffs.com/English/ ... fault.aspx
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Old CCI Guy wrote:I had heard that when Cliff's bought US Steel out of the Tilden Mine earlier this year, that was step one in their logistics plan.
As a previous poster stated, they may be setting up for the HBI plant coming online in Toledo in 2020.
Thought that ore was supposed to come from the Mesabi Range.
Old CCI Guy

Unread post by Old CCI Guy »

I had heard that when Cliff's bought US Steel out of the Tilden Mine earlier this year, that was step one in their logistics plan.
Woodtick

Unread post by Woodtick »

That would be great news, but probably unlikely. Escanaba was the only dock that was accessible late and early, I would think that it's operation had/has an impact on the steel making economy.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Loading in Escanaba definitely is a big plus. Cliffs Michigan operations could bypass the locks with Escanaba.
Yooper for life

Unread post by Yooper for life »

This would be great news for the area economy.
Back in the day, the yard had a stockpile over a mile long.
No shortage of storage in Esky.
Pety

Unread post by Pety »

This could make sense because Esky can ship year round and have large yard to stock pellets.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

CN's track between Ladysmith and Prentice as well as between Rheinlander and Goodman have been out of service for years so the shortest rail route between Superior and Escanaba goes through Neenah and Green Bay. And as JFB said, the line through Neenah already has a ton of intermodal and merchandise traffic.

If Cliffs is contemplating a purchase of the Escanaba dock, I would think it would be more likely so that they can shut down the antiquated dock in Marquette. Its biggest issue is the track spacing is so narrow that they have to use non standard narrow ore cars built (or modified) just for that dock. Plus it can't load footers.

Wisconsin Rail Map http://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/trave ... ailmap.pdf
JFB

Unread post by JFB »

Seems unlikely, only one Mine left on the Marquette Range, and Cliffs owns the railroad and dock at Marquette, MI. To route Pellets from Cliff's operation in Minnesota would be roundabout if from the Nashwauk or Unitac plants, and it would involve routing the trains on a route with very heavy CN traffic headed to Chicago. And if it originated at Hibbing Taconite how would BNSF react to the loss of business to their dock at Allouez? Likely to impose a rate to maintain their profits as though the Pellets were still using their dock.
Retired US Steel Sailor

Escanaba Ore Dock

Unread post by Retired US Steel Sailor »

Can anyone verify the rumor that Cleveland Cliffs is purchasing the Escanaba Ore Dock from CN?
Seems to make sense, with the added ore that will be need for their new plant in Toledo, and not have to shut down shipments when the Soo Locks close.
Train tracks already in place from Marquette and Minnesota.
Also a deep dock that can handle footers.