Lower Lakes Ships in Ashtabula

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
pjwh12

Re: Lower Lakes Ships in Ashtabula

Unread post by pjwh12 »

Lower lakes was in no postion to borrow money to buy a row boat let alone these ships
It was common knowledge and that can’t be algomas reason for these hulls
It may have been they were told it was all 4 or nothing
2 hulls for the salt trade 2 hulls for scrap would seem to be most likely

Unread post by Guest »

Considering the current situation with Lower Lakes, I don't know if keeping the American Valor and American Victory out of their hands was a major consideration in Algoma's decision to purchase the four ships. It seems like the American Valor could be a candidate for the salt trade once the Algosteel is finished. Perhaps with a stern transplant between the two vessels? At Seaway size, the American Victory is not restricted in passing through the Welland Canal/St. Lawrence Seaway so it may yet have a use. With the exact details of the sale and Algoma's long term plans, I don't know how quickly I would write off the two steamers. It is possible, however, that Algoma got a sweet deal on the four, with the intention of scrapping the two older vessels. Only time will tell.

Against the backdrop of Algoma's unusual purchase, did they secure some new contracts that have driven this decision? It seems strange that they would do so with new ships still coming on line.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Agree with you 100% Chris as I believe of the four they got that we will only see the Buffalo and Cornelius out and not the steamers as you had mentioned. I’m sure a few others may agree with me that I think that the only reason they got the steamers were so that Lower Lakes could not get their hands on them. It makes perfect sense to me to have the steamers go to Algoma and to play “Keep Away I guess if you will from Lower Lakes!” Granted I would love to see the steamers return and to sail again as well but, I just don’t see that happening. Not when you have newer ships being built overseas for Algoma and eventually they will be coming here soon. I guess we will have to wait and see though.
Chris M

Unread post by Chris M »

Highly unlikely we'll see the steamers sail again.
orangeshirt

Unread post by orangeshirt »

A credible source indicated to me that some winter work may be done on the former Adam E. Cornelius this winter. A different source indicated that Algoma wants to run two of the former ASC vessels they have acquired. A third source tells me that Algoma would like to get the Cornelius out of Huron in March. Draw your own conclusions. Happy speculation.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Or perhaps the American Valor whom some seem to forget at times?
ashland69

Unread post by ashland69 »

Guest wrote:Defiance and Ashtabula are also due for drydocking. Donjon is going to be quite busy all winter.

Rumor is that at least one vessel will come in during the spring for drydocking as well.
Could this one be the Cornelius?

Unread post by Guest »

Defiance and Ashtabula are also due for drydocking. Donjon is going to be quite busy all winter.

Rumor is that at least one vessel will come in during the spring for drydocking as well.
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

St. Clair is also supposed to enter the drydock, so I'm surprised the Hansa didn't take her turn while all the American ships were en route.
Huronview

Unread post by Huronview »

Thanks Denny, I was in Sarnia 2 weeks ago and saw the Niagara and the Laurenten but neither had wires out or anchors dropped so was not sure they were laid up. Also none of these ships show up yet in the lay up list. I have often seen a few of the tankers on temporary lay up usually next to who ever was at the Sidney Smith dock but that as when it was really cold.
Pazzo

Unread post by Pazzo »

Algoma Hansa is most likely still running as a result of Joyce L VanEnkevort going directly into the drydock when she entered port for layup. Hansa was supposed to be the first vessel into the drydock this winter, but she has found a great deal of work to keep her busy. I would imagine that when word comes of the Joyce L and Great Lakes Trader is ready to move out of drydock, Hansa will head for Erie so she can directly enter Donjon's facilities.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello Huronview, in answer to a few of your questions on your post first let me begin by saying that if you count both the Manitowoc and the CSL Niagara that is two ships that are laid up in North Slip but I do see your point. I believe what you were referring to was to see two laid up together in the North Slip side by side. To that I do see your point on that. Second, there is one vessel laid up at the Cargill Grain Elevator and that is the CSL Laurentien! It seems that CSL usually lays up one of their ships sometimes at Cargill but in the past I have seen Lower Lakes there as well. Finally, other than the three Algoma ships running salt right now the St. Clair should be arriving in Erie, Pennsylvania within the next day or so for its Winter lay up at Donjon. Other than that, I don't see anything right now laying up for a while at least if at all this winter. One other is the tanker Algoma Hansa which at some point is supposed to be going to Donjon Shipyard in Erie for lay up but, so far she is still out and running so not sure yet when she be arriving for there? Hope all of this helps answer your questions and information here.
Huronview

With these 3 in Ashtabula, Saginaw and Cuyahoga in the canal and 2 at the Soo there won't be much activity in Sarnia this year. I can't remember the last time there wasn't 4 ships in the north slip, 2 at the government dock and 1 at Cargill. Does anyone have any idea of possible boats to lay up other then the 3 Algoma boats running salt out of Goderich
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I couldn’t agree with you more Chris as I totally agree 100% that it is only a matter of time before they rename her as they did last year with the Lewis J. Kuber. Just wonder then what name they would choose for a rename? I say why not go with Marinette since they renamed the Lewis to the Menominee last year. You could then have both cities in that area at least named for the barges. Just my opinion and makes sense to me!
Chris M

Unread post by Chris M »

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Jame Kuber with a new name after her 5yr
Pazzo

Unread post by Pazzo »

Denny wrote:Thanks for that information Pazzo as that was exactly what I was looking and hoping for and more is for someone like yourself and orangeshirt to come along and help answers my questions. So I did have at least one of them right as far as laying up at the Pinney Dock but I just wasn't sure as I had no prior confirmation on that one. As I mentioned in my earlier post to orangeshirt, I did not know that they had more than one dock as I always referred to the dock they unload at as the Pinney Dock. I didn't know there was the A&B Dock and the Union Dock. Well they do say though that you learn something new every day. I guess you could say thanks to your help and the arcticle you posted, I did learn something new as far as the Port of Ashtabula. Thanks again for all of your help!
No thanks necessary, Denny. I'm more than happy to share whatever information I can. I'm glad you found that article/link as interesting as I hoped. It's great to be part of such a community that can share information based around our common fascination. I hope all is well for you this winter and wish a great beginning to the new year!
Huronview

Must not of been paying attention. When did they re name the barge? Why is the James Kuber not re named? Thanks
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Denny wrote:Thanks for that information Pazzo as that was exactly what I was looking and hoping for and more is for someone like yourself and orangeshirt to come along and help answers my questions. So I did have at least one of them right as far as laying up at the Pinney Dock but I just wasn't sure as I had no prior confirmation on that one. As I mentioned in my earlier post to orangeshirt, I did not know that they had more than one dock as I always referred to the dock they unload at as the Pinney Dock. I didn't know there was the A&B Dock and the Union Dock. Well they do say though that you learn something new every day. I guess you could say thanks to your help and the arcticle you posted, I did learn something new as far as the Port of Ashtabula. Thanks again for all of your help!
When I was on the Clarke we probably unloaded at the A & B Dock at least 3 times. One time we had gone to Conneaut to unload, but several hours into the unload they had a major power failure at the dock. No electricity, no Huletts. After sitting for a few hours we shifted over to Ashtabula to finish our unload.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks for that information Pazzo as that was exactly what I was looking and hoping for and more is for someone like yourself and orangeshirt to come along and help answers my questions. So I did have at least one of them right as far as laying up at the Pinney Dock but I just wasn't sure as I had no prior confirmation on that one. As I mentioned in my earlier post to orangeshirt, I did not know that they had more than one dock as I always referred to the dock they unload at as the Pinney Dock. I didn't know there was the A&B Dock and the Union Dock. Well they do say though that you learn something new every day. I guess you could say thanks to your help and the arcticle you posted, I did learn something new as far as the Port of Ashtabula. Thanks again for all of your help!
Pazzo

Unread post by Pazzo »

I could take the time to explain which docks are called what, based on their illustrious past, but I remembered reading this article which should explain it.

http://www.ashtabulawave.org/the-dock-men-of-ab/

Calumet is at Pinney, Mississagi is at the old Union dock and Olive and Menominee are at the Ashtabula and Buffalo.