USCG Mackinaw (WLBB-30)

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: USCG Mackinaw (WLBB-30)

Unread post by Guest »

Thanks, that made a little more sense! I misread the article!
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

The request for proposals in question is to replace the workboats carried on the Mackinaw and numerous other cutters. It is not to replace the cutters themselves.

The original headline on the Boatnerd news page may have caused some confusion, but it was clarified within an hour or two of posting.

A similar boat from a differnet manufacturer:
http://www.metalsharkboats.com/wp-conte ... t-CB-L.jpg

Unread post by Guest »

The replacement is for the "workboat" on board the Mackinaw, not the Mackinaw (WLBB-30). The Mackinaw will not be replaced. Congress, state legislators and industry would argue about a replacement for another 30 years, just like they did with the old Mackinaw.

USCG Mackinaw (WLBB-30)

Unread post by Guest »

Did I read the post on the New Channel page correctly about the U. S. Coast Guard looking to replace several of its vessels including the Mackinaw? It seems strange that they are already looking to replace a ship barely 15 years old that is confined to operations on the lakes. I know the article cites the unsustainability of these vessel due to the manufacturer going out of business, but I was just wondering if anyone had any insight into this.

How does the new Mackinaw compare to the older vessel it replaced? How much did the new vessel cost?