Return to Great Lakes & Seaway Shipping Great Lakes & Seaway Shipping Online
Discussion Boards
Please click to visit our sponsor
It is currently February 19, 2018, 8:47 am

FAQ | Instructions | Help
Search for:

Post subject: Re: " Sea Stories" Relief Capt.
Unread postPosted: February 7, 2018, 9:29 am 
I started with the Soo River Company in 1980 and retired in 1999. most all of the Captains that I once sail with have died, I think there are only 2 or 3 of use old times left.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: February 7, 2018, 9:23 am 
Yes, I think you are right Captain, after 35 years on the lakes we had to pass one another at some point.

I know one time I was in a bar in Port Canaveral Florida and I met a few salt water sailors and we talked the night away, I went back to my ship in Thunder Bay and loaded for the seaway, I had to wait for a salty to come out of the canal and I remember the name of that ship, so by chance I called the ship and sure enough they remembered me and our conversation. Small World !

Report this post

Unread postPosted: February 6, 2018, 10:35 pm 

I don't think we ever met but I believe there were times we heard each other on the radio and were in close proximity in the canal. The old saying about ships that pass in the night.

Report this post
Unread postPosted: February 6, 2018, 7:26 pm 
It is so nice to have you and the Laker Captain both here reminiscing.

Did you two ever meet when working the boats or afterwards?
Are there others from the lake boats that you know of who could post here with their experiences?

Your contributions here are priceless.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: February 6, 2018, 10:03 am 
With P&H I would have to call Lake Shippers and the Wheat Board in Winnipeg with my ETA at Thunder Bay. At one time we sent a coded message with our ETA. We use the company's code book and that was a farce. 

Report this post

Unread postPosted: February 6, 2018, 9:54 am 
Every day I give out the orders in my "Standing Order Book"   On a nice day and weather forecast I will write, Follow all recommend   courses for Thunder Bay or what ever port. Call me if needed. If the mate has to make a course change he will call me first.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: February 5, 2018, 9:14 pm 
When the captain is not in the wheelhouse does the Mate set the course or follow what the Captain has determined the course will be ? If it's the latter, does the Mate have any latitude to alter course if necessary or do they have to get the Captain's approval ?

Report this post

Unread postPosted: February 5, 2018, 12:57 pm 
I think Lakeshippers is gone now so how do they get there orders now does the company tell you?

Report this post

Unread postPosted: February 4, 2018, 3:43 pm 

Yes on the weekends there would be a message from "Lakeshipppers" which was brief to save costs and would only say "go to pool 4" or similar

Report this post
Unread postPosted: February 4, 2018, 12:41 pm 
I remember listening to a scanner and you would here a phone call through the coast guard if it was really important, I also remember on weekends when I guess they called it Lakeshippers in Thunderbay and VBA would have traffic for what ships were expected over the weekend, the good old days

Report this post

Unread postPosted: February 3, 2018, 8:48 pm 
I would always go up to the wheelhouse every morning for my cup of Tea or coffee to see how thing were going. Check out the weather reports ships position, traffic and ETA's. Then i would go back for my breakfast then after call the office and let them know ETA's Catch up on paper work, always paper work !  I tried to stay out of the wheelhouse as much as possible, I know when I was mate the captain was always in the wheelhouse just to sit and BS. Then I would go back for my lunch and if mid lake I would take a short nap after lunch. Doing the rivers and seaway I would spent hours on end in the wheelhouse and I would have to have a break so in mid lake I took my break. It was a pleasure before phones and Fax and computer's were none nonexistence, now the office calls the ship many time a day. It is a Royal Pain !  We always had phones but in many places you would not get phone service. 

Report this post

Unread postPosted: February 3, 2018, 12:06 pm 
Capt other than making docks or locks or rivers, how much time did you spend in the pilot house? what was your daily routine or I guess any captains routine.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: February 3, 2018, 9:44 am 
Master's Standing Orders and Night Order Book has been around long before I started sailing in 1964. As a watchkeeping Officer you were required to read, understand and sign it off.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: February 3, 2018, 7:47 am 
Yes, you are right, I questioned the mate as to why he did not call me sooner and he said he did not what to wake me because he knew I was tired and we were only 15 miles from Passage Island and thought he could make Passage, but then the wheelsman said he should call me. But this episode thought me a good lessen I came out with " Standing Orders Book" To call the Captain in any change in weather.  I did not want to go around Rock of Ages Lt. because it would take me four hours longer so I headed for Isle Royale and the wind was on my stern, about 4 miles from Old Rock Harbour Lt. I altered course to the NE and the wind was ahead steered that till we intercepted the Up Bound course for Thunder Bay, it was the first time I ever tried that but it work our really good. 

Attachments:
File comment: Standing Orders Book all mate had to sigh this book when they went on watch.
Standing Orders book.JPG
Standing Orders book.JPG [ 245.13 KiB | Viewed 2375 times ]
Report this post

Unread postPosted: February 3, 2018, 6:59 am 
I never notice anything like a wiggle and never heard anything like that. She was a fine ship to handle, backing out of a elevator with a load of grain she back  what I wanted her to do, I really did not need a bow thruster and she was powerful. Very good ship.

Report this post