Algoma renaming

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Algoma renaming

Unread post by Guest »

Algoma may be looking to convert 1 or 2 of their Chinese gearless bulkers to self-unloaders. Is there any good booms or self unloading gear on those 2 that will be scraped.
Duluth

Unread post by Duluth »

Well, that's
tugboathunter wrote:The "Algo" prefix is dying quickly.
That's too bad, "Algocornelius" kinda had a pleasant ring to it..
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

In regard to renaming the Cornelius (if they use her): since the name is part of the American Steamship's history, it would seem any new name would have to reflect Canada's history, geography, etc.
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

re: Duluth Guest
The "Algo" prefix is dying quickly. If rumors are to be believed, then by the end of 2018 the Algowood will be the only ship left with that prefix besides the tankers. Don't expect to see a vessel named using that scheme ever again. Shame because that was unique to Algoma, and now they name their vessels the same way everyone else does.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The Buffalo May have been renamed? If you scroll further down on this thread you should notice information and comments people have been making in reference to the Buffalo. They may have renamed her and it appears she now has the name Algoma Buffalo? Again please scroll on down this thread and you should see further information at least on the Buffalo. Hope that this has helped some in answering your questions.

Unread post by Guest »

The farthest the Valor would get for a scrap tow is Port Colborne, as she won't fit through Locks 1-7 and the Seaway, so a rename wouldn't make any sense.

Will ASC be renaming any of their other ships Buffalo and Adam E. Cornelius?

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Adam L. sounds like a scrapping name. Hope that's not the case!
Doubt it. Word on the street is that they plan on running her.
MilwBob

Unread post by MilwBob »

Duluth Guest wrote:So you're thinking, since they're not terribly creative regarding names, are we looking at Algoma Valor, Algoma Victory and Algoma Cornelius or do you think it'l be shortened to Algovalor, Algovictory and Algocornelius?
I'm of a mind 2 of them will be shortened to 'Victory' and 'Valor' to facilitate the scrap tows. AEC is anyone's guess.
Duluth Guest

Unread post by Duluth Guest »

So you're thinking, since they're not terribly creative regarding names, are we looking at Algoma Valor, Algoma Victory and Algoma Cornelius or do you think it'l be shortened to Algovalor, Algovictory and Algocornelius?

Unread post by Guest »

Adam L. sounds like a scrapping name. Hope that's not the case!

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:I like Algobuff :)

I mean Algoma Buffalo?? Can't we get a little more creative?
Their initial plan for the Montrealais and Quebecois was Algoma Montreal and Algoma Quebec.

Thank heavens they had a change of heart and let them run out their final few seasons with what essentially was the same name they had carried since first entering service, but I think it shows that they're not much for putting a lot of thought into renaming their acquisitions.
Pete in Holland MI

Unread post by Pete in Holland MI »

Algotothehead?

Unread post by Guest »

I like Algobuff :)

I mean Algoma Buffalo?? Can't we get a little more creative?
jzcleve

Unread post by jzcleve »

How about "Buffagoma" or "Algobuff"?
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

Has it been made public about how much Algoma paid for these four hulls? TIA
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

Thank you. This has been a big help, at least some official-type confirmation of the rumors.
Phil

Unread post by Phil »

Unread post by Guest »

Also, I'm assuming it's Cornelius that they've registered as "Adam L."

http://sd.ic.gc.ca/pls/engdoc_anon/mmsi ... ninmarsat=

Unread post by Guest »

BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

Can you post the link to her MMSI? I can't seem to locate it.