Return to Great Lakes & Seaway Shipping Great Lakes & Seaway Shipping Online
Discussion Boards
Please click to visit our sponsor
It is currently February 21, 2018, 1:47 pm

FAQ | Instructions | Help
Search for:

Post subject: Re: New Cliffs Plant in Toledo
Unread postPosted: February 10, 2018, 4:44 pm 

Looking at the rendering, they already have the Blough there. ;-)

Report this post
Unread postPosted: February 8, 2018, 8:43 am 
I don't see the CSX bridge precluding 1000 foot boats from this dock. The left draw (up bound) which is used by most shipping is 143 feet clear. That allows at least 18 feet on either side. A tight fit sure, but not impossible especially at the slow speeds approaching the dock. More dredging might be needed at the up stream end of the dock to accommodate them. Might be more work for the tugs just to make it safer.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: February 8, 2018, 12:09 am 

Here is a conceptual rendering of the plant and dock. I have no idea what the stuff overlaid at the current location of the BP Husky petroleum terminal is supposed to be.

Attachments:
HBI_Large-Render.jpg
HBI_Large-Render.jpg [ 3.07 MiB | Viewed 1184 times ]
Report this post
Unread postPosted: February 7, 2018, 11:39 pm 
Guest wrote:
The plant will be located between Front Street and Millard Avenue, and I guess the ships will unload where the stone pile is. https://www.google.ca/maps/@41.6770685, . a=!3m1!1e3

While working the boats, I thought it was weird they built that rail terminal at that corner. Other than what appeared to be empty petrol cars, it seemed overkill to build that for the ballast they brought in there. The current setup for that dock is very annoying and not dock-serviceable friendly (though really none seem to be really). There's no underground conveyor system there like at torco. So I'm not sure how they'd load it into the rail cars other than dozer and moving conveyor.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: February 7, 2018, 9:26 pm 

Guest wrote:
Perhaps this may breathe some new life into the conversion of the John Sherwin? Has anything been indicated on any fleet being awarded a floating contract yet?

If thousand footers are ruled out Sherwin wouldn't be a bad "next best thing" candidate, though ASC's 78' wide ships and the two VanEnkevort tug-barges would be strong competition of similar size / capacity.

Report this post
Unread postPosted: February 7, 2018, 9:27 am 
Perhaps this may breathe some new life into the conversion of the John Sherwin? Has anything been indicated on any fleet being awarded a floating contract yet?

Report this post

Unread postPosted: February 7, 2018, 7:44 am 
There is a railroad swing bridge the ships will have to pass through. That rules out any 1000 footers. I had an opportunity to talk to a member of the Lucas Planning Commission and he told me that this is a big deal for Toledo. Plans were kept secret until the formal announcement and those involved were were not allowed to discuss it with anyone.

Report this post

Unread postPosted: February 6, 2018, 11:57 am 
The plant will be located between Front Street and Millard Avenue, and I guess the ships will unload where the stone pile is. https://www.google.ca/maps/@41.6770685, . a=!3m1!1e3

Report this post

Unread postPosted: February 6, 2018, 9:01 am 
Where will this plant be located? What is the maximum size vessel that will be able to serve the dock?

Report this post

Post subject: New Cliffs Plant in Toledo
Unread postPosted: February 6, 2018, 8:09 am 

Nice story on the new Cleveland Cliffs plant and what that will mean to traffic to the Port of Toledo.
http://www.ideastream.org/news/waterways-conference-to-evaluate-great-lakes-development-success

Report this post